Christian McCaffrey Sitting Out Sun Bowl

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If it's not BCS or Playoff it's a gift bag and a vacation. Glorified exhibition game. Made that way by the BCS even more so with the Playoff.

This exactly! It is an exhibition and I think you are going to see more and more kids decide they don't want to risk their financial future for an exhibition game. There is no value to the kid to play in this game. There is much more value for him to focus on draft prep and getting ready for the NFL.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I don't know. I always hated when our top players would give a half hearted effort during our bowl games. They always used to bowl games as a show case of their own talents and mostly did a lot of showboat in with complete disregard of trying to win the game. *Like our loss to Louisville in the Sugar Bowl.

So if an NFL draft pick isn't in it to win it then I'd rather them not play.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Yeah, if they are not in the playoff, it is basically an exhibition game. I can understand it. I hope the playoff team players do not start doing that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, if they are not in the playoff, it is basically an exhibition game. I can understand it. I hope the playoff team players do not start doing that.

With the number of NFL teams being represented at the playoff games, I truly doubt that will be the case. The playoff games and the BCS games are showcases of talent, that NFL evaluators as sent to.. Not just for the premium players, but the guys who could be later round picks.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry. This is poor on his part. What about the last meaningless game against Rice? Where do you draw the line?

It's a shame our staff thinks like many people on here and doesn't care about the bowl game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry. This is poor on his part. What about the last meaningless game against Rice? Where do you draw the line?

It's a shame our staff thinks like many people on here and doesn't care about the bowl game.

So what does the team gain by winning the Sun Bowl, what is there McCaffery to gain? The bowl games all 41 extra bowl games mean what? The bowl games used to mean something, but that meaning has gone way. They have been devalued with the changes in NCAA football.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bowls don't mean anything anymore it's a business decision and the body can only take so many hits. Go get paid.

If any of our players don't want to play I'd rather see the youngsters get some much needed pt.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So what does the team gain by winning the Sun Bowl, what is there McCaffery to gain? The bowl games all 41 extra bowl games mean what? The bowl games used to mean something, but that meaning has gone way. They have been devalued with the changes in NCAA football.

What did he get by playing vs Rice? It was just as meaningless. You are part of a "team". Maybe your fans are going to make the trip. You can get hurt walking your dog. I guess we'll all agree to disagree. Not the first time.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What did he get by playing vs Rice? It was just as meaningless. You are part of a "team". Maybe your fans are going to make the trip. You can get hurt walking your dog. I guess we'll all agree to disagree. Not the first time.

Rice is a regular season game, there is a difference. A victory against Rice could potentially set them up for post season games that matter. This is a post season game that doesn't matter.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here is a question, if the Sun Bowl means so much, without looking it up... who won last year's Sun Bowl? Who played in it? Who sponsors it?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
So when these guys are in the NFL, and their team is standing at 3-6, do these players shut down for the rest of the season, as "a business decision?"

Go all out, all the time, or just go home and call it quits on competitive sports.

(And the risk of senior-year injuries is why the top talent gets insurance.)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So when these guys are in the NFL, and their team is standing at 3-6, do these players shut down for the rest of the season, as "a business decision?"

Go all out, all the time, or just go home and call it quits on competitive sports.

Are they getting paid for an exhibition game, compared to getting paid for a actual game in the NFL. That's an apples to oranges comparison.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah those are professionals trying to keep their jobs, this is an amateur trying to get a job, and he can't get a good one if he blows his knee out in an exhibition game four months before the draft. NFL scouts already have more than enough tape on McCafferey and Fournette.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Are they getting paid for an exhibition game, compared to getting paid for a actual game in the NFL. That's an apples to oranges comparison.

Well they signed a contract to play, in exchange for a number of economically valuable promises from their universities.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Embarrassing.
Why? Coaches bail on their players at a moments notice every season. This is where we are with sports. The guy has millions of dollars waiting for him in the very near future and he doesn't want to risk losing that. I have no problem with this.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
NFL scouts already have more than enough tape on McCafferey and Fournette.

There's also plenty of tape on every college football player who was on the field for a substantial amount of time. 99% of them dream of playing in the NFL.

Where would/should you draw the line?

Only underclassmen should play in the bowl games? Or in the last X games of the regular reason, once a team has been eliminated as a candidate for its league championship?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Disgusting. No loyalty. Business decision? I would rather that a minor league be formed that is purely and NFL development league and let the colleges field a team of amateurs. I would get more out of watching the amateurs than watching a bunch of me first, businessmen.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well they signed a contract to play, in exchange for a number of economically valuable promises from their universities.

And he did his side of the bargain... or did he not play during the regular season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator