Coach Mac and Nussy Meeting w/ The Griers Today

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Things were going just great until the Grier implosion. The ineptitude of Harris dramatically exposed our weak Oline which had earlier been camouflaged by Grier's quick releases in passing game. Competent passing game opened things up for the running game, even with a subpar line.

Defense played lights out (except for LSU and ECU games). They were just totally gassed the last 2 games in TOP. Bama had the D on th field for 41 MINUTES due to Treon's ineptness.

Competent QB solves many issues with a good D.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I will refrain until I am positive Harris wont play another down....
We will probably at least have a functional OL next year and two more solid backs, both of whom give us a power option. We will at least have Del Rio to compete with Harris.

The offense will be much better even if the run game gies from 105th to 30-40th and it could be top 20.

Pass probably wont get better until Grier comes back, if he does, unless Del Rio is all that Matthew's thinks he is. Remember we dont necessarily need him to have a cannon, but quick, accurate short and medium stuff along with a real run game can make us very danverous on offense.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
We will probably at least have a functional OL next year and two more solid backs, both of whom give us a power option. We will at least have Del Rio to compete with Harris.

The offense will be much better even if the run game gies from 105th to 30-40th and it could be top 20.

Pass probably wont get better until Grier comes back, if he does, unless Del Rio is all that Matthew's thinks he is. Remember we dont necessarily need him to have a cannon, but quick, accurate short and medium stuff along with a real run game can make us very danverous on offense.
Losing Trip and Halter hurts. Sharpe has had as good a season as first rounder Humphries did last year. Might he leave? Not as confident in the O-line as you.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Typical. No real comebacks for the facts so you have to fall back on insults. Like clockwork.

Let me know when you can actually talk some football.

Because you are not saying anything of substance. You state the obvious for reasons other than to discuss football. You're not fooling anyone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im a huge fan of both Halter and Trip. They were better than any 18-19 could be, but both were severely limited physically and frankly werent very good.

We will be better at each position next year IMO. A year in the weight room and with the playbook will do wonders. Im not saying they will be a top OL, we are at least two years from being roadgraders, but we will at least be competent there.

What this staff did with the mess of an OL and 4 scholly OL was a damn miracle. Remember that of the 4 left, three were Riles, Dorsey and Dillard, all of whom were flat out terrible even against our walkon scout teamers and far worse against SEC DL.

I'm as optimistic for next year's OL as I was pessimistic last year.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, we can have a discussion but what exactly would be discussed? The East sucked. Horribly. Maybe the worst ever. Which opened the door for us and we capitalized. While teams like Tennessee and Georgia floundered even though many predicted them to be elite. Of course that led to the ouster of Richt.

I'm not sure what people are burying their heads in the sand about. We are happy that we won but we're not happy with the way the offense looks. Hell, if we had a kicker then we probably would've only lost one or two games this year. And the kicker woes with him go back to last season. If you remember our punter was awful last year as well but one of the best in the nation this year. Same kids.

I think we can all agree that Harris was awful and the offense looked like shyt.

Agree with this. And to be fair, as much as we bag on the East this season, it's really no different than the last few years. Mizzou and Usce might be worse, but the vols and VU were better. The bulldogs were about the same. And we won it by a full game and gave the West Champ more of a fight than the '13 and '14 East teams did. I'm fine with acknowledging that the East isn't great, but it's being overblown in relation to recent years.

Bottom line, if we don't lose our starting QB, I struggle to find a definitive loss. For that matter, as you point out, a kicker may very well have won the fsu game. We can recognize the flaws of the season. But some of this criticism is silly.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Harris will play as Powell's backup in the slot or transfer, and Will Grier won't take another snap as a Gator.

At least 4 new QB's in the mix in the spring. Now way in hell Treon is one of them, and no way Mac takes snaps away from a starter in the fall to give to PED boy.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll pose you the same question that ox did not answer for whatever reason...if in any given season if I told you that we went 1-4 vs ranked teams would you think that is a good season? A simple yes or no please.

That's an unfair question, but I'll play. I would be unhappy because it's a great football program with loads of tradition, umpteen SEC titles and three national championships to boot. Now, if you asked me to make amends with that along with (at least) 10 wins in a season that featured a new coach, a patchwork offensive line, the loss of the starting quarterback after the sixth game and a kicking game that went from bad to non-existent, then I would probably ask you to start counting your blessings.

What the phuck is wrong with you anyway?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Yea there is a 0% chance that Harris is our starter next year. I'll put a permanent sig bet on that...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are we starting him against Michigan because he's earned the respect?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yea there is a 0% chance that Harris is our starter next year. I'll put a permanent sig bet on that...
You think the fact that we've tried to sign every QB that walked past the coach's office, including a HS backup, is a clue he wants more QBs?

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Great. The season started out great and I said as much. The offense has been trash for a month or more. The defense the last two games has been rough as well. Should we talk about the kicking game? WORST in football. Should we ignore the FSU and Bama games? Heaven forbid we lose to Michigan and end up going out on a three game losing streak.

BUT BUT BUT we still won ten games. Sorry that luster is coming off a little. It's okay to talk about it.

The defense has been rough the last two games?

The ****ing Steel Curtain couldn't have held up against Cook and Henry for all four quarters without any offensive production, numbnuts.

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
When Grier was playing, it gave us more of a snap shot of what our offense should look like. There were games that 7-8 different people caught passes and he had more than one choice where to throw the ball to on almost every play. That was with an extremely porous line. Most believe we would have won the SEC with Grier. Mac is absolutely addressing our needs at a few positions and I have little doubt we can and will be contending very soon. Its really easy to dissect the weaknesses of this staffs first year but I can say they showed me enough to know we are on the right track. Chill. Watch our staff pull an impressive class this year and watch them develop players over the next couple years....

This is exactly the way I feel, and I think even the most casual observer could see this. Anyone with any real football knowledge should certainly be able to see this. His offense was starting to click when he had a QB at the helm who could make quick reads and get rid of the ball. As Gatormandan said, Mac gives his QB multiple options designed to take advantage of the mismatches on the field, but the qb has to be able to make those reads and get the ball to the right man. The young and inexperienced o-line looked much better when Grier was in there because he helped them out by getting rid of the ball quickly. Treon did just the opposite exposing their youth and inexperience. Mac's offense will thrive when he gets a few more pieces to the puzzle and adds some depth to account for injuries during the season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Griers yesterday at the Hornets game. Rumor is Will is contemplating a run at professional skateboarding. Any thoughts on Mom?

CWI7YJBUsAAdcY0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator