Coach Mac and Nussy Meeting w/ The Griers Today

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's very healthy to focus solely on the negatives in any situation.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. But I'm looking at the offense is garbage and we've lost 3 in a row vs ranked teams. Two blowout losses in a row. Treon is still QB. There's nothing wrong with hope but it doesn't win games.

Don't just nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger.

dont-nibble-on-barrel-pull-the-trigger-300x250.png

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Saying the defense was special this year is negative?

Sure pal

Look, everyone saw the offense and watched the same thing you did. The difference is most of us came away with a good feeling we are in good hands. With a QB and an improved line, we will be fine. There are more positives than negatives to dwell on.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Look, everyone saw the offense and watched the same thing you did. The difference is most of us came away with a good feeling we are in good hands. With a QB and an improved line, we will be fine. There are more positives than negatives to dwell on.

Great. The season started out great and I said as much. The offense has been trash for a month or more. The defense the last two games has been rough as well. Should we talk about the kicking game? WORST in football. Should we ignore the FSU and Bama games? Heaven forbid we lose to Michigan and end up going out on a three game losing streak.

BUT BUT BUT we still won ten games. Sorry that luster is coming off a little. It's okay to talk about it.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
We all did and heard enough pissing and moaning during Mussy's reign of terror on the program to last us a while. The feeling that level of negativity gives out, frankly, sucks and I'm not ready to go back there yet. I think we're all pretty objective about where we are and where it seems we're headed. If winning the East and having the SEC COY steering things can't get you to relax, you know, just a little then nothing will.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Growing up in the T Rex household:
Little T Rex: "Dad, Look I got an A on my math test."
Daddy T Rex: "Let me see that. OMG, look at those questions. They are so easy. And look you missed the last question. You're gonna fail the rest of your tests this year and probably next year."
Little T Rex: "Thanks for the valuable lesson Dad. I will never forget it."

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Typical. No real comebacks for the facts so you have to fall back on insults. Like clockwork.

Let me know when you can actually talk some football.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with most of what you are saying Rex. But although most of what you're saying is reasonable I think it's also reasonable to give a bit of a pass on a season where the coach did not even have a backup QB to replace Harris because Chump didn't believe in recruiting that position.

Also, we only had four lineman to open Spring practice. Mac did a great job of holding on and building our o-line class for the month that he was here before signing day. Three of the guys from last year's class will be starters next year which is ludicrous. That's way too young to be starting at that position. Particularly, three of them. The depth behind them are other kids from that class and the kids from the incoming 2016 class. There should be juniors and seniors either providing depth or starting but other than Sharpe we have none. It's one reason why you saw the line struggle so bad this year. They all played hurt because they could not be replaced because there was nobody to play. Ivey had no business playing in a couple games because of injury and it showed on the field. But who was Mac going to play?

I think it's reasonable to get him a bit of a pass this year and be happy with the outcome. The offense should get markedly better next year and should be outstanding the year after. As long as the defense keeps pace we will have a national championship caliber team.

Who knows? Maybe craps the bed. But based on all the deficiencies I think it's reasonable to look more towards the future than the scars of the past.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Btw, I think the starters will be: Ivey, Sharpe, Jordan, Johnson/Desir-Jones, Transfer.

Jordan, Ivey, and Johnson/Desir-Jones are the 3 RS Freshman/True Soph

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
When Grier was playing, it gave us more of a snap shot of what our offense should look like. There were games that 7-8 different people caught passes and he had more than one choice where to throw the ball to on almost every play. That was with an extremely porous line. Most believe we would have won the SEC with Grier. Mac is absolutely addressing our needs at a few positions and I have little doubt we can and will be contending very soon. Its really easy to dissect the weaknesses of this staffs first year but I can say they showed me enough to know we are on the right track. Chill. Watch our staff pull an impressive class this year and watch them develop players over the next couple years....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with most of what you are saying Rex. But although most of what you're saying is reasonable I think it's also reasonable to give a bit of a pass on a season where the coach did not even have a backup QB to replace Harris because Chump didn't believe in recruiting that position.

Also, we only had four lineman to open Spring practice. Mac did a great job of holding on and building our o-line class for the month that he was here before signing day. Three of the guys from last year's class will be starters next year which is ludicrous. That's way too young to be starting at that position. Particularly, three of them. The depth behind them are other kids from that class and the kids from the incoming 2016 class. There should be juniors and seniors either providing depth or starting but other than Sharpe we have none. It's one reason why you saw the line struggle so bad this year. They all played hurt because they could not be replaced because there was nobody to play. Ivey had no business playing in a couple games because of injury and it showed on the field. But who was Mac going to play?

I think it's reasonable to get him a bit of a pass this year and be happy with the outcome. The offense should get markedly better next year and should be outstanding the year after. As long as the defense keeps pace we will have a national championship caliber team.

Who knows? Maybe craps the bed. But based on all the deficiencies I think it's reasonable to look more towards the future than the scars of the past.

Who's not giving Mac a pass? Has anyone called for his firing? I guess that's the rub. You can't have honest talk about the issues on the team. And they are there whether folks want to bury their heads in the sand or not. When you break down the entire season you can see some underlying story lines(IE the poor condition of the East). Grier screwed us as well. Again, I thought the defense played outstanding for most of the year. They won us ten games.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
J and mandan on the nose! I think next year might be difficult. I would be happy at 8-4 in regular season. Why not start a prediction thread? It would give a quantitative view of optimism or pessimism of posters.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
J and mandan on the nose! I think next year might be difficult. I would be happy at 8-4 in regular season. Why not start a prediction thread? It would give a quantitative view of optimism or pessimism of posters.

I will refrain until I am positive Harris wont play another down....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who's not giving Mac a pass? Has anyone called for his firing? I guess that's the rub. You can't have honest talk about the issues on the team. And they are there whether folks want to bury their heads in the sand or not. When you break down the entire season you can see some underlying story lines(IE the poor condition of the East). Grier screwed us as well. Again, I thought the defense played outstanding for most of the year. They won us ten games.

Well, we can have a discussion but what exactly would be discussed? The East sucked. Horribly. Maybe the worst ever. Which opened the door for us and we capitalized. While teams like Tennessee and Georgia floundered even though many predicted them to be elite. Of course that led to the ouster of Richt.

I'm not sure what people are burying their heads in the sand about. We are happy that we won but we're not happy with the way the offense looks. Hell, if we had a kicker then we probably would've only lost one or two games this year. And the kicker woes with him go back to last season. If you remember our punter was awful last year as well but one of the best in the nation this year. Same kids.

I think we can all agree that Harris was awful and the offense looked like shyt.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That game at Arky next year after the WLOCP really sticks out like a sore thumb. A tough one.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Well, we can have a discussion but what exactly would be discussed? The East sucked. Horribly. Maybe the worst ever. Which opened the door for us and we capitalized. While teams like Tennessee and Georgia floundered even though many predicted them to be elite. Of course that led to the ouster of Richt.

I'm not sure what people are burying their heads in the sand about. We are happy that we won but we're not happy with the way the offense looks. Hell, if we had a kicker then we probably would've only lost one or two games this year. And the kicker woes with him go back to last season. If you remember our punter was awful last year as well but one of the best in the nation this year. Same kids.

I think we can all agree that Harris was awful and the offense looked like shyt.

Agreed. We're not sticking our heads in the sand. We see it all, at least we should get it, but harping on it isn't gonna make it better now. Staff has all the stats, too, they know it. Let's give them a chance to fix it.

GatorintheKnox

Masshole
Sep 20, 2015
Tennessee won't be easy in Knoxville especially if Treon is the qb. I was really disappointed with the way our season played out but I knew that our glaring weakness would someday be our strength. Receivers were running open. Our line was patch work at best, and Treon was really, really bad. The future looks bright though and I'm excited.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator