Coaching candidates for 2024

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I go after Deboer first and Meyer 2nd. If they say no then I go after Kiffin provided his buyout isn't crazy. Then after that I am watching Luke Fickell, Matt Rhule, and Jedd Fisch in that order. If either one of these guys hit 9+ wins next season I will be impressed. I think Fickell is a very good coach and he was very impressive in Cincinnati. He went 7-5 in year 1 this season. Let's see how he does in his second season at Wisconsin. Same for Rhule and Fisch. Matt Rhule turned around Temple and hit 10 wins in his 3rd and 4th season before leaving, and then hit 11 wins in his 3rd and final season at Baylor. If he can turn around a 3rd program, especially at a tough job like Nebraska, success is a pattern for him like it was for Meyer. Also he adapts his offense to conference fit and geographic talent. Rhule and Fisch would definitely leave to come in. Fickell is a midwest guy, but I think we can lure him because we are a much better job than Wisconsin.
I'd be happy with Lanning also, but I don't think he would leave Oregon
I'll keep you posted about Fickell. I live in Madison and have a first hand view. So far the talking heads in the area are not too impressed. But he is putting in place a completely different system than WI has run in the past. It'll take years. If WI can get to 9 wins next year that would be a miracle. Their schedule is as brutal as Florida's.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I'll keep you posted about Fickell. I live in Madison and have a first hand view. So far the talking heads in the area are not too impressed. But he is putting in place a completely different system than WI has run in the past. It'll take years. If WI can get to 9 wins next year that would be a miracle. Their schedule is as brutal as Florida's.
Bugs , I thought you were in Iowa ?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I guess we should have hired Freeze when we had the chance. Things would be so different right now if we had done that.

Dan Lanning...I like him...but he is a defensive guy which I thought is a no go for Florida according to many here. I like a lot about the guy. He is a heck of a recruiter with a lot of relationships in the South East. He is proving that he can win as a head coach in the modern era. He is young with an alma mater he won't see as where he wants to go back to so he could be a generational coach. He would probably be my top choice right now but so much changes in a year. Oregon has a lot of $ so that program could become a powerhouse in the modern NIL era. Only things I dont really like about him is he has georgia stank on him and time with Grantham, but that is just being nitpicky. I dont mind that he is defensive but I know some/many probably will.

Urbs is out there lurking so you have to try, right? But you gotta have some dark thoughts buried deep down in your mind that he cant last in the pressure cooker as well as how much did his failure at Jacksonville change him? Still...you gotta see whats going on there.

Kalen DeBoer is kinda an outside guy to keep an eye on but he is such a West Coast dude not sure he could hit the ground running and adjust to the SEC.

Fug Fickel and Kiffin. No thank. Fickel is not a South East guy, he is a buttnutt Mid West to North East guy and is a horrible fit for Florida. Kiffin...fug no from me personally but there would be worse choices which Im sure we will end up making. My opinion is he is Mullen_v2.0 though I like his offense way better than muLLLLLLLen ball.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Iowa, Wisconsin, either of the Dakotas....same fuchin thing.
Shaking Winter Solstice GIF by funk

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lanning reminds me of Bob Stoops. Yes he comes from the defensive side of the ball but he went out and brought in an air raid OC and gives him the reins. Would he kill it here? He'll yeah but he's not leaving Oregon for this job. I don't understand why you guys think we're gonna still an established coach from a good program. It just doesn't happen.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lanning reminds me of Bob Stoops. Yes he comes from the defensive side of the ball but he went out and brought in an air raid OC and gives him the reins. Would he kill it here? He'll yeah but he's not leaving Oregon for this job. I don't understand why you guys think we're gonna still an established coach from a good program. It just doesn't happen.
It doesn’t happen because the guys in charge of making an outstanding hire are morons and strike out every chance they get .What other major program would seriously hire shark boy , muschump , Danny and sunbelt Billy bob? Texas dodged a bullet when JF hired fat willy muschump

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Because we are the biggest university in the most abundant stocked state for high school talent in the SEC. And of course we'd have to pay a lot of $. I think you make it seem a lot more complicated than it is. Oregon going into the Big10 is the wild card for it though. I think Lanning is an SEC guy at heart and knows it is the best league to compete. Winners care about that stuff. I dont think he is a Lincoln Riley type who is soft and runs from competition.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Would he kill it here? He'll yeah but he's not leaving Oregon for this job. I don't understand why you guys think we're gonna still an established coach from a good program. It just doesn't happen.
Actually, our problems would still another coach to stay put. But we need to invigorate them to consider leaving their confines and coming to Florida. The prospect of such an endeavor makes my pulse beat rapidly as I ask my nerves to abate, to bestill my beating heart.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I thought you lived in Maine.... ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oregon has had multiple head coaches leave for better jobs recently .
This is so fuchsing stupid.

Just one more trip to the Saban tree well huh? Maybe it will work this time, huh?

Jeebus how fuchsing stupid.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jeebus. Even worse. The twat that went 6-6 at Ohio State and lost to Will Duncecap.

I swear Im surprised people making these suggestions have enough brainpower to remember to breath.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lanning reminds me of Bob Stoops.
See the fact that t likes him tells you how fuchsing stupid the idea is.

Even if it's true, and I don't think it is. You don't hire the mediocre DC, YOU HIRE the good OC.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Just one more trip to the Saban tree well huh? Maybe it will work this time, huh?

Lol have another law, I was arguing against Nicky castoffs

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You need to give that a rest. At some point, every coach has been attached to Satan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.