Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Official University statement:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA COMMUNICATIONS
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2014
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: UF Communications, (352) 375-4683

Head Coach Will Muschamp Stepping Down at Conclusion of Regular Season

GAINESVILLE, Fla.—University of Florida head coach Will Muschamp will step down at the conclusion of the 2014 regular season, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced on Sunday.

“Upon evaluation of our football program, we are not where the program needs to be and should be,” Foley said. “I've always said that our goal at the University of Florida is to compete for championships on a regular basis. Coach Muschamp was dedicated to developing young men both on and off the field. Our student athletes showed tremendous growth socially and academically under his leadership. His players were involved in campus activities, engaged with the local community and represented the University of Florida with pride.

“I will be forever grateful to Will and his staff for their unwavering commitment to the University of Florida and the mission of our athletic program. He will be missed by everyone in our athletic department - from the people that worked in his office to the people that painted the fields. Will knew everyone and they knew him and everyone in the building loved working with him. Will is as fine a man as you will ever meet, and I will always cherish our relationship with him and his family.”

Foley informed Muschamp of the decision on Sunday morning. Muschamp was hired in December of 2010 and has a record of 27-20 (.574) in his four seasons as head coach.

“I appreciate the opportunity that has been offered to me and my family by Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and the University of Florida,” said Muschamp. “I was given every opportunity to get it done here and I simply didn’t win enough games – that is the bottom line. I’m disappointed that I didn’t get it done and it is my responsibility to get it done. I have no bitter feelings, but this is a business and I wish we would have produced better results on the field. We have a great group of players and a staff that is committed to this University and this football program. They have handled themselves with class and I expect them to continue to do so. As I’ve said many times, life is 10 percent of what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.”

***Media Advisory – for planning purposes only***
Florida will hold a press conference on Monday at noon in the South End Zone Team Meeting Room. University president Bernie Machen, athletics director Jeremy Foley and Will Muschamp will be in attendance.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
oxrageous;n107067 said:
If Muschamp is getting one penny of that buyout, then he didn't resign.
I wasn't sure about the difference between a firing and resignation, but thanks to the Ox for the succinct summary.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If he is really "stepping down" and not getting the buyout, then Ox's completely bogus and unfounded rumor nonsense might have actually been true. But that can't be right.

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
Bullag8r;n107028 said:
Because it is the right thing to do. I am not a Foley worshipper, by far, but he has built the Number One NCAA Athletic Program in the Nation. Calling him 'Fooley' just makes you look like an idiot.

Pumpers will not go down without a fight....

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Hater's still spewing venom against fellow Gators. How about I bake you a cherry pie? Will that make you happy? We are getting a new coach, is that not enough or do you want to assemble a firing squad to execute everyone that was hoping for the best? Gator fans are behind the Gators no matter who the coach is. " . . . in all kinds of weather we all stick together . . ."

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
'Foley informed Muschamp of the decision on Sunday morning.'

I don't know, when you resign, I figure this sentence nouns to be reversed. Just saying.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n107068 said:
You know that works two ways, right?

You are absolutely right. It can and does go both ways and I am not surprised someone would quote me saying something like that. I support the University, the coaches, and the players no matter what. Am I happy that we have pretty much sucked for the last five years (Including Meyers last year)? NO! Everyone has the right to express themselves and their displeasure with the program and coaching staff. I am fine with that as well. Saying it once or twice would have been fine, but slinging $Hit with every post in the thread is overkill in my opinion. So, I say, GIVE IT A REST!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled posting...

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Who's not behind the Gators? That's why we've wanted this dude gone for a while now.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Delg8tor;n107117 said:
You are absolutely right. It can and does go both ways and I am not surprised someone would quote me saying something like that. I support the University, the coaches, and the players no matter what. Am I happy that we have pretty much sucked for the last five years (Including Meyers last year)? NO! Everyone has the right to express themselves and their displeasure with the program and coaching staff. I am fine with that as well. Saying it once or twice would have been fine, but slinging $Hit with every post in the thread is overkill in my opinion. So, I say, GIVE IT A REST!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled posting...

And again....it works two ways.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
ufgator812;n107119 said:
Who's not behind the Gators? That's why we've wanted this dude gone for a while now.

dont even try and explain it! maybe after the swelling goes down

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In time... Gator pumpers and pragmatics will once again... :grouphug:

:lol:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, everybody take a breath. Quit turning on each other. Enough with the "I told you so's". We're finally getting to move on, just be happy.

Don't push it or you'll be removed from the thread.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n107114 said:
Hater's still spewing venom against fellow Gators. How about I bake you a cherry pie? Will that make you happy? We are getting a new coach, is that not enough or do you want to assemble a firing squad to execute everyone that was hoping for the best? Gator fans are behind the Gators no matter who the coach is. " . . . in all kinds of weather we all stick together . . ."

Not trying to pile on, but your "hoping for the best" line is BS. You were hoping he was retained and that was NOT in the best interest of the program.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
No reason to continue this fight...he's gone and rightly so. He was a bad football coach. He's being forced out because of it. There's a huge pile of crow here for anyone that wants some. And I think it is totally within reason to question Foley's ability to pick a football head coach. It is tied to giving Muschamp an extra year that he did not deserve. He's made some awful football related decisions. Zook and Muschamp cannot be ignored. Great...he can build a women's lacrosse team from scratch...but he can't pick a football coach for ****.

Foley should be questioned.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
T REX;n107147 said:
No reason to continue this fight...he's gone and rightly so. He was a bad football coach. He's being forced out because of it. There's a huge pile of crow here for anyone that wants some. And I think it is totally within reason to question Foley's ability to pick a football head coach. It is tied to giving Muschamp an extra year that he did not deserve. He's made some awful football related decisions. Zook and Muschamp cannot be ignored. Great...he can build a women's lacrosse team from scratch...but he can't pick a football coach for ****.

Foley should be questioned.

:worried:

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
MJMGator;n107142 said:
Not trying to pile on, but your "hoping for the best" line is BS. You were hoping he was retained and that was NOT in the best interest of the program.

I was hoping for wins and championships and pulling for the team. I would have been fine with letting him go last year. Please, when you read my posts, especially if you are going to restate my position, at least make some effort to recognize the distinctions I make between objective analysis and personal feelings. Muschamp is loved by all those that work with, for and around him. I always pull for people like that to be successful, but it doesn't mean that I believe the program should be sacrificed for them. Never have and never will.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like its Christmas morning already. Found my stocking with something other than what we have been stuffed with the last four years. This is a good time for the Gator Nation. Its of no consequence now. It's over and done. There will be a new coach on the sideline next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.