Damning article from GC

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think WM had a "will to kill" but he'd be arrested for his version and it was highly counter productive for winning. That's not Mac. I'd hoped it was his non-public side that the players and coaches would see, but we would have seen hints of it by now publicly and it's not in him. He wants to win, and he has some ideas on how to get it done, but it isn't a laser focus on dominating, it's more of 'how do I get thru this game with more points than them?
My concern is it was there and squashed. I believe he had that fire when he ripped Taylor a new one. I believe that backfired in Foley's office and was told, "This is Florida. That's not how we do things here."

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
My concern is it was there and squashed. I believe he had that fire when he ripped Taylor a new one. I believe that backfired in Foley's office and was told, "This is Florida. That's not how we do things here."

Sincerely doubt that. IMO, Foley would have backed off to let Mac make his statement and impression on the team - set the tone of expectation. Heck, he'd let WM levitate with laser beam eyes and break chalkboards left and right on public tv, he's not going to reign in someone he hired to light a fire under the players in the right direction (to include letting players know selfish action like throat slit gestures are unacceptable).

My fear was that was the most fire Mac can bring to bear on the program, and it pushed him outside his comfort zone to make the statement. I remember watching Mac coach at Fresno State - didn't know who he was, but liked his offense and winning (against similar level teams), but it was still an "aw shucks" environment. Everyone was happy to be there, golly gee it was a nice win, they played well.

=====

The grudges SOS has held, I bet he'd been imagining plays since childhood and the slights he incurred as he grew up fed him the desire to annihilate those who he faced. If he didn't win, he may respect you a bit, but it ratcheted up his desire to beat you even worse next time. Meyer reminds me of a wanna be ninja - trained a bit, and plans to throw everything at you in an attempt to destroy you....but if it doesn't work and you come back after him he'll high tail it away. Watching Saban from a distance (having not had him as a coach of my team), he comes across as a guy who sincerely believes he can out plan you, and he'll do everything he can to drive his coaches to drive his players in every single facet of existence. His 'process' will mold the best players (because they want to play for that winning program) into the best killing machines in college football. Every breath in is an assessment of you as an opponent, and every exhale is a striking blow to cripple or kill. That's why he gets so mad at assistants that aren't calling plays to kill, or not getting the maximum from their players; and why players who don't assimilate don't see the field.

Mac's still hoping to win. Key words "hoping" and "win". Elite coaches are planning to dominate.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
images

I'm on board with this to a large degree. Nobody has feared us in a LOOOooooonnnng time. We haven't given them a reason to. We're counting on all those facets - play calling, individual player development and execution, recruiting of players with the will to dominate and coaches that can draw it out and apply it on the field. But we're struggling to get any of those facets working even part time.

There is a level of "will to kill" in SOS, Meyer, Saban, and Harbaugh that is readily visible. It is exceptionally rare. Unfortunately we had it twice and lost both of them, so we're doubly spoiled in terms of that style of leadership. Reality is, as rare as that "will to kill" is in coaches, we will be hard pressed to find it again. But we hope. However, when you can get that type of leadership, it permeates the program. Coaches call plays and motivate players in a way that gets them pumped on the field and driving for that "will to kill", or perhaps it's more known as "will to win" though I see these elite coaches as going beyond winning and building a program identity, a way of being that builds upon itself - kids want to play for that type of program, coaches want to work there, and championships are won, mercilessly.

I think WM had a "will to kill" but he'd be arrested for his version and it was highly counter productive for winning. That's not Mac. I'd hoped it was his non-public side that the players and coaches would see, but we would have seen hints of it by now publicly and it's not in him. He wants to win, and he has some ideas on how to get it done, but it isn't a laser focus on dominating, it's more of 'how do I get thru this game with more points than them?'.

More of what I replied above. There is no fire in any individual that can spread thru the program. I'm against gimmicks, but I agree with you I'd like to see a clear direction and expectation that unifies the team's intent and drives them to be accountable to one another for execution. But again, it's not there - not with this staff, not with these players.

One thing to consider is that WM's recruiting pitch was almost always "depth chart" (start right away) and "get you to the league". In addition, I think many of them liked his passion and enthusiasm-over-substance style. In short, a decent portion of our roster chose UF for all the wrong reasons. Even some great ones like Fowler and Tabor fall into that category. So in some respects, not only are they not playing for the HC they signed up for, I'm not sure that things like defending the Swamp and getting Florida football back on top are their chief concerns. And in their defense, they never said otherwise. But hopefully some of these younger kids start to step up and take the reigns. And I personally think Allen, Franks, and Trask all fit that mold perfectly. They wanted to be Gators, and want to see us win. So hopefully we start to see some leadership starting there.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
this

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sincerely doubt that. IMO, Foley would have backed off to let Mac make his statement and impression on the team - set the tone of expectation. Heck, he'd let WM levitate with laser beam eyes and break chalkboards left and right on public tv, he's not going to reign in someone he hired to light a fire under the players in the right direction
I guess we'll agree to disagree. Foley caters to the Boosters. In the beginning of the Chump era, there wasn't any fire. He came in an lit a fire, but in the wrong way. He got out of control, yelled at the crowd, challenged the Booster which in turn led to his firing. Mac's outburst reminded Foley of whiteboard breaking and knuckle bleeding and he nipped it in the bud.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
One thing to consider is that WM's recruiting pitch was almost always "depth chart" (start right away) and "get you to the league". In addition, I think many of them liked his passion and enthusiasm-over-substance style. In short, a decent portion of our roster chose UF for all the wrong reasons. Even some great ones like Fowler and Tabor fall into that category. So in some respects, not only are they not playing for the HC they signed up for, I'm not sure that things like defending the Swamp and getting Florida football back on top are their chief concerns. And in their defense, they never said otherwise. But hopefully some of these younger kids start to step up and take the reigns. And I personally think Allen, Franks, and Trask all fit that mold perfectly. They wanted to be Gators, and want to see us win. So hopefully we start to see some leadership starting there.

Great point - tradition, or anything of 'the program' that goes beyond a player simply executing a play as called. As a unifying theme, SOS and Meyer leaned on history and tradition to bring the new kids a sense that history expects better of them, and they are not only executing plays, but they are extending the tradition (dominance?) of Florida - defending the swamp, playing with swagger and an expectation that every team will get our best effort from ALL our players. Maybe that's part of what Mac recognizes he lacks and intends to lean on SOS for? I dunno. But you're right in that WM didn't really have that, all he had was "we will get you to the NFL (if you are on Defense)". I've yet to see what Mac offers the kids in this sense. It's as if he is waiting for the players to find it for themselves. Some have it innately, like Allen who wants to be a Gator regardless of who is the coach - he knows the 'tradition' and wants to restore it. He gets it, it's more than executing the called play. There's a lot more to being a Gator than that....but a lot of these kids, and I'm worried a lot of the coaches, don't have that understanding.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I completely agree with this. I think he's dealing with a bunch of kids who are "Me first" and show that "Swag" still. It's why we still have DBU and can't back it up.

We need some of the freshman to step up, big time.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I guess we'll agree to disagree.

We can, though I expect we'll agree more than not. WM may have shot himself in the foot repeatedly, especially as it concerns boosters. But in this instance, I would have expected the boosters, and Foley, would appreciate a coach letting a player know acts like that aren't acceptable. Especially in a manner that sets the tone and expectation for the other players. Putting aside the lack of any subsequent hot emotional outbursts from Mac since (could be Foley clamp down, or a lack of inner fire on Mac's part) - if we look prior to that, I can't recall Mac ever being excitable. That's why I think it's more a lack of Mac fire than a shutdown from Foley or boosters.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some have it innately, like Allen who wants to be a Gator regardless of who is the coach - he knows the 'tradition' and wants to restore it. He gets it, it's more than executing the called play. There's a lot more to being a Gator than that....but a lot of these kids, and I'm worried a lot of the coaches, don't have that understanding
I believe Perine has it and understands what it means and I believe it shows in his performance.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I believe Perine has it and understands what it means and I believe it shows in his performance.

Another excellent example, along with Allen. I'm not sure Pineiro has it, but I think we'd be extremely hard pressed to fill up one hand counting the players that do.

Man. PEE-rine....excellent example.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
:lol:
So when UF wins on Saturday, I can say 'suck it BMF!' and to all the other dumpers picking LSU to kick our butts on Saturday? I could, if I was 14.

Bart, absolutely!! I hope you are able to tell me to suck it! I really do. I want us to win badly and I want this program to get turned around. Too bad you're not 14 though. There's a seat for you over at Gatorcountry though. They'll take you in with open arms! But when you want a reality check, come back over here and you won't get the sugar coating your new message board buddies at Gatorcountry will be giving you.....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So....what we can take from this is that Ox has built GatorHater.com, as opposed to a supportive fan site. Got it.

I do take exception with the last remark "most of them think we are STILL a national power.", because many of the people here have that same belief. They have not lowered their expectations in cadence with our tailspin over the last many years and are continuing to exclaim all those at fault, and for what reasons, that we are not currently a national power but we should be because FLORIDA. Fact is, we're not a national power. We haven't been for quite awhile. In fact, we haven't been a regional, or even state, power for quite some time. It's a fact. Members on here, while wanting that is fine, need to accept that it is NOT what we are or have been lately.

Not calling you individually out on that last one BMF - there's plenty that fit the bill with you.

TLB, I agree w/ you on the "not a national power" issue. So why did you take exception?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bart, absolutely!! I hope you are able to tell me to suck it! I really do. I want us to win badly and I want this program to get turned around. Too bad you're not 14 though. There's a seat for you over at Gatorcountry though. They'll take you in with open arms! But when you want a reality check, come back over here and you won't get the sugar coating your new message board buddies at Gatorcountry will be giving you.....

giphy_24.gif

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:mac:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator