Del Rio out for UT - Sprained MCL, will miss 2 weeks at minimum

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Cyontae Lewis seems classy
I think it was C'yontae's man that hit Del Rio. C'yontae was visibly upset right after the play and shaking his head and apologizing to everyone. Also, the way LDR was slapping the ground while he was laying there seemed to indicate he thought it was bad. As though he thought his season was over.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched Austin Appleby play the entire game against a tough Iowa team last year. I'll say this about him; he's got grit and heart, but tends to force his passes. He's probably better than Harris, but he didn't look anywhere near as good as Luke Del Rio. Goolsby is going to be an important piece to this. I don't see Appleby making the throws we've seen Del Rio make. If we can establish the running game and get Goolsby open he can have a game that is sufficient enough for us to win.

BTW, if Del Rio is out for the year, it will be the fourth straight year FSU gets us without our starting QB behind center.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I watched Austin Appleby play the entire game against a tough Iowa team last year. I'll say this about him; he's got grit and heart, but tends to force his passes. He's probably better than Harris, but he didn't look anywhere near as good as Luke Del Rio. Goolsby is going to be an important piece to this. I don't see Appleby making the throws we've seen Del Rio make. If we can establish the running game and get Goolsby open he can have a game that is sufficient enough for us to win.

BTW, if Del Rio is out for the year, it will be the fourth straight year FSU gets us without our starting QB behind center.

Yep the problem with Appleby is he hates to just live for the next play many times which led to some costly picks and sacks. Maybe playing on a team that isn't outmatched like Purdue was last year will help him cut that out some.

You would think he should be able to pass the ball better than Alien boy.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I will say that Applebee's playing next week is a good thing. LDR God bless him is very limited is what he does.

I was ready to see LDR sit on the bench before the injury. He manages the game well, but he can't make the passes. I was also very unimpressed with Appleby's ability to complete a forward pass. I'm pretty sure Trask is an upgrade over Treon. If we beat the Vols last year with Treon and that OL, we can beat them this year whoever plays QB.

North Texas junior defensive end Joshua Wheeler (18) tackles Southern Methodist senior quarterback Matt Davis (4), Saturday, September 3, 2016, in Denton, Texas, and ends his season with a torn ACL.

Maybe paying a million dollars to play these poorly coached undisciplined athletes is NOT such a great idea. We'd be better off with an annual game against USF, UCF, or even Miami if we can avoid this kind of play.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Damn :sadnanner:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I'm not agreeing with Law but made a valid point.

Trask looked good in a Spring Game where he mostly took off and ran and the throws he completed were against guys like Williamson. We have no other film on the guy or knows how he will react to actually making reads against a non Florida non vanilla defense.

Franks looked not ready as well. However you have no idea how much better he has gotten since then. Remember he was only on campus for a few months when the Spring Game was played.

You go with AA here, no other choice. Then if you truly want to build for future you go to Franks. The guy has more upside than Trask.

Either way; LDR probably was able to make throws neither AA, Trask, or Franks was going to make. Going to have to rely on the defense once more. Perhaps hope for our RBs to get more explosive. Buckle up guys, it's gonna get interesting

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Sometimes, I emphasize the word
'sometimes' a player plays better when
he is named the starter. It changes his
mindset. All AA has to do is manage
the team. We're not asking him to
have a spectacular performance. I'm
sure Coach Mac will emphasize that.
The pass plays called will be short
patterns that are a high percentage
type. Our defense still makes this game
winable. I think we mainly see
Thompson and Perrine. Maybe some
Scarlett. All three add a little yardage
after they are hit. I know Tn is average
at best but we haven't played an average
team yet, so this still creates a big
question. Our kicking team has to give
us an edge up. I still believe this team
has the heart to win. I believe Coach
Mac is doing a good job. Will the QB
problem ever leave us?

We now know why they call them the
mean green. They were trying to inflict
injuries, no doubt. It brings the name
duckett to mind. Taught so well by
Mickey Andrews. I don't think NT will
be offered another half mil to come
play dirty as they did. The shutout was
especially nice because of that.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
these guys have to bottle the anger that erupted and came out amongst the coaches and players after Del Rio got hit and unleash it on Tennessee.

as the man said:
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Game plan.

Feed Scarlett, Cronk, Perine.

Short to intermediate routes.

Pray defense tackles unlike last year

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Eddy needs to work on extending his range out to about 80 yards.
Well if the coach would let him put points on the board instead of going for every GD 4th down....I know it's considered cool, hip, modern or whatever to go for it on 4th down all the time BUT with a young developing offense who is still trying to find themselves putting points on the board= confidence/momentum which carries over to the next drive. Mac's insistence on going for it is directly related to the long stretches of offensive ineffectiveness we've witnessed in the 1st game and last night....The other thing is Eddie is anything but automatic and needs the game practice. He's still taking too long to go through his pre kick routine....Practice, practice, practice even in GAME situations.

The other thing is the play were Cox comes in to block needs to be put to rest.....It worked about 2 times last year and has not worked since. We got a gift on Perrine's goal line TD because his back crossed the goal line...the ball did not. Anyway it should appear obvious that the play has been scouted by everyone that we have played and will play....ditch it.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The QB in the Mac offense is a game manager first and foremost. If AA doesn't turn the ball over, we win, and with relative ease.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Crete, yeah, vs the UT's of the world, put the points up there, especially if we're not chasing the game. And as far as the Hulk package goes, I don't care what anyone else does, just run then damn thing behind Taylor.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The QB in the Mac offense is a game manager first and foremost. If AA doesn't turn the ball over, we win, and with relative ease.
Should...I'm not saying we lose because B!tch will probably B!tch but in our offense it takes the pass to set up the run...we're not on a dominant level with our running game yet and AA looks like a loose cannon to me....I've been wrong before though.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete, yeah, vs the UT's of the world, put the points up there, especially if we're not chasing the game. And as far as the Hulk package goes, I don't care what anyone else does, just run then damn thing behind Taylor.
That's what I'm saying, put 2 TE's in there so that you can fake the run and throw it or just put in an extra offensive lineman and blast the damned thing in. Putting an extra blocker in the backfield AND pulling linemen just allows LB'ers to shoot the gap and make the tackle from the backside....there's a reason Fullback's are a dying breed these days.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great. Can we get him to coach next weekend?
Urban is no QB coach. Nice try tho. I simply used him as the example because, well never mind, you already know, you're just being your typical contrary self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.