Del Rio out for UT - Sprained MCL, will miss 2 weeks at minimum

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I'm going to put my "Ox" money where my mouth is. I believe that AA has the talent to bring us a lot of Ws while LDR is out. I'm not saying that he throws 300(+) 3TDs a game good, but 220-250 1 TD a game will be good enough. I even think if he throws 1 or 2 INTs a game we are G2G. I trust Mac and I think we will beat bUTtchug by 14+ points

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Urban is no QB coach. Nice try tho. I simply used him as the example because, well never mind, you already know, you're just being your typical contrary self.

It was a joke. I will say that LDR has been serviceable. We've played crap teams with no where near the talent we have. Appleby is going to be a drop off at a position I really wasn't that high on to begin with. There are always going to be examples. I think this is a huge step down for us.

Last edited:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Sorry to break it to you law but mac said in his presser after the game "we have to get Austin ready to start and Trask some first team reps" no mention of Franks. I think most fans are looking for lighting in a bottle and Trask represent that with all the reports that he's the only QB on the roster who can throw people open.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was a joke. I will say that LDR has been serviceable. We've played crap team with no where near the talent we have. Appleby is going to be a drop off at a position I really wasn't that high on to begin with. There are always going to examples. I think this is a huge step down for us.
I don't disagree that AA will be a step down, but I'm not 100% certain we don't have somebody on the roster that could end up being an improvement. LDR has/had the best command of our offense out of the 4, but not the best upside imo.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Game plan.

Feed Scarlett, Cronk, Perine.

Short to intermediate routes.

Pray defense tackles unlike last year
^ This, and Thompson. Any of our QB's can hand the ball off. Play solid D and get out of Knoxville with a win.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I don't think there's much doubt that LDR is the best we have, but he also missed a lot of receivers and made some poor decisions about where to go with the ball (i.e. double coverage with another guy wide open). If Luke was stellar we would have scored more points in these 3 games. So we're trying to replace a serviceable, game-manager type QB with another serviceable QB. We should be able to do this and beat TN. We have Appleby (should work), Trask (could work) and Franks (long-shot). Our healthy QBs now know their chances of playing right away are assured if they earn #1 or #2 spots and they have all week for that to sink in. The season will go on and one or two of these gents will end up making some great plays for the Gators. With our D firmly in every opponent's grill the winning will continue.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm sorry for LDR. I don't wish injury on anyone. Ok, maybe Dalvin Crook. But I've watch him in 3 games now. I firmly believe he won't be our starter next year. He's just too limited physically. Unless we surround him with Bama like talent, we aren't winning an sec title with him under center.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Well if the coach would let him put points on the board instead of going for every GD 4th down....I know it's considered cool, hip, modern or whatever to go for it on 4th down all the time BUT with a young developing offense who is still trying to find themselves putting points on the board= confidence/momentum which carries over to the next drive. Mac's insistence on going for it is directly related to the long stretches of offensive ineffectiveness we've witnessed in the 1st game and last night....The other thing is Eddie is anything but automatic and needs the game practice. He's still taking too long to go through his pre kick routine....Practice, practice, practice even in GAME situations.

I doubt Coach goes for it like this in the TN game. I think he's wanted to see what his o-line can do on fourth and short. There's no way he takes points off the board when the game is on the line, particularly on the road. I'm not saying I agree with all the fourth down calls, but I think Mac has been trying to see what his offense can do, not trying to be hip or cool.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I doubt Coach goes for it like this in the TN game. I think he's wanted to see what his o-line can do on fourth and short. There's no way he takes points off the board when the game is on the line, particularly on the road. I'm not saying I agree with all the fourth down calls, but I think Mac has been trying to see what his offense can do, not trying to be hip or cool.

It's depressing to see what the offense can do. I think our defense is championship caliber, but our OL is still one to two years away. That being said we are good enough to win the East and win a New Year's Day Bowl. That'll be an attainable step forward.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd prefer to see more of the other three.

I'm not a Thompson fan and I still think he lacks the burst
I don't dislike Thompson, but I think the others are rising, and if we are looking for a guy that will fight hard and bulldoze the defense in those short yardage situations, IMO Perine is the guy.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@ZachAbolverdi: Sources: Florida QB Luke Del Rio's injury not season ending http://sec.news/2cippnB
From him also

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida starting quarterback Luke Del Rio will be out against the Vols, but he’s not done for the year.

Sources told SEC Country the injury Del Rio suffered Saturday night is not season ending. It is believed to be a knee sprain, the sources said.

He was hit low late in the third quarter against North Texas and examined by trainers for a few minutes on the field. After being helped to his feet, Del Rio walked off the field unassisted.

UF coach Jim McElwain, who had to be pulled away from midfield after the play, said Del Rio “will probably be missing” the Tennessee game.

Del Rio has thrown for 762 yards on 62 of 101 passing (61 percent) with 6 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Graduate transfer quarterback Austin Appleby will start for the Gators in Knoxville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator