Detailed article on Mullen's offense

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by williston_gator, Nov 30, 2017.

1. williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie

Oxbucks:
    $577
    Ratings:
    +3,236 / -23
  2. ufgator812

ufgator812 Duke of Marlborough
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $259
    Ratings:
    +3,995 / -37
    I’m expecting 8-5.

3. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    That's exactly what I'd guess too

4. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,344
    Ratings:
    +7,189 / -91
    Considering this mess, that's a quantum leap.

5. lagator

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $320
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / -24
    Read it, some good stuff but tons of pump at the start. If his offense is so good why did he lose so damn often in conference, and only beat 2 SEC teams in 9 years with a winning conference record, and set all time futility records against teams ranked in the AP?

Is he able to make adjustments, or is his offense so one dimensional that there is nothing to switch up in the games that are going south?

6. MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $721
    Ratings:
    +11,813 / -102
    That sounds reasonable. In year one, I’ll be satisfied with that record, a functional offense and a team that doesn’t roll over when things aren’t going their way.

Oh, and he needs a top 5 class, too! :lol:

7. lagator

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $320
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / -24
    Dammit, I hate 8-5. Not even worth watching honestly. Take out the gimmies and it's losing a lot more than you win against teams with a pulse.

8. ufgator812

ufgator812 Duke of Marlborough
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $259
    Ratings:
    +3,995 / -37
    Get used to it. That’s him. 8-5.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • List
  9. FlGator19382

FlGator19382 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +101 / -2
    Because Bama, Auburn, A&M, and LSU are always more talented than MSU

10. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    He averaged the #27 recruiting class and couldn't beat anyone equal or slightly better even though he's such a a good coach? Are we fogetting that lsu and tamu especially were pretty mediocre a lot of those years?

11. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    mac did better than that in both his full years. It's a quantum leap from this year and step below mac's full years.

12. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $794
    Ratings:
    +8,525 / -54
    9 wins. I think at some point we had something like 32 players out? At the end of the year? Due to suspension and injuries. And a ton of starters.

With the right coach and the right strength and conditioning program – I expect a marked improvement.

13. Since65

Since65 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $100
    Ratings:
    +405 / -0
    I have not read this article in depth but intend to go back later for a longer, closer look. I will admit to being puzzled by the extreme criticism of Mullen's offensive system and especially the claims that now that's he's at UF the Gators will never throw the ball again. Or some slightly less exaggerated version of that claim.

I did a little research on MSU and some other teams and understand even less why some are so opposed to his system.
    For example, 2017 season State ran for (these are slightly rounded off numbers) 3000 yards, passed for 2000. Alabama ran for about 3400 yards, passed for about 2500. Clemson ran for about 2600, passed for 3000. Louisville ran for about 3000, passed for about 3700.

Quarterback carries....Fitzgerald ran 162 times. Hurts carried 137, Clemson's Kelly Bryant had 164 carries and Lamar Jackson had 208 carries. I don't hear a lot of talk about those other teams wearing out their quarterbacks or putting them in harm's way by running too much.

MSU's offense doesn't seem to be completely run heavy, at least compared to some other more successful teams and their quarterback isn't running it way more than other signal callers. So, what gives? Is it the play design that causes concern or what? I see that they run more than they throw but the splits don't appear to be 1960 Ohio State type offensive numbers.

Football analysis board members.....care to shed any light?

14. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    The guy that wrote it knows his stuff. It's a great article to explain how if you can pull in an average #27 recruiting class, you'll beat everyone worse than you. That was mostly arKansas and 4 cupcakes with an occasional win against struggling lsu, auburn and tamu teams. The funny thing is that you could the exact same points as a negative when you're discussing it in regards to being elite at UF. It highlights plays working bc he gets a hat on a hat even though one of his few examples showed a very difficult block for his OT; one that you'll rarely make against bama, uga or a good auburn. Mentions multiple times how his offense isn't innovative or modern. People don't want to admit it, but it's Stanford's offense out of different formations. mullen tries to get it with space and shaw tries to get it with traffic, but the basic philosophy of a varied running attack that wins 1v1 matchups, complimented by a simple PA game, is the exact same.

I would need clarification on why he says "His offense is innovative" and then says "Mullen doesn’t do anything overly innovative. It’s a theme that will run throughout his tenure. He just happens to do things more effectively than others running a similar style." in the next section...uhhhh

15. aka

aka I Deliver
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $137
    Ratings:
    +2,536 / -36
  16. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    This is the start to the passing section of the article...

"Think of Mullen’s passing game as a way to supplement and help the run.

“We throw the ball to force the defense to back up so that we can run on ’em” a bright-eyed Mullen told a group of coaches at a clinic in 2004, back when he was the quarterback coach of Meyer’s Utah Utes."
    I'm confused how you can put out those numbers and then ask that question. For starters, I wouldn't use bama this season as a gauge for successful offense. I guarantee they aren't happy with their production with the new OC given the talent. Rushing accounted for 58% percent of their yards this year, but only 53% last year with a true freshman QB. Their S&P was 22nd this past season after being 9th in 2016. Clemson is only 46% rushing. ul is only 44%. msu got 60% of their yards from rushing. That is a whole lot more 1-dimensional than the others except for bama.

As far as # of runs: I'll admit that this is a hard argument to make objectively. msu runs their QBs inside on power regularly, but teams like louisville & clemson don't. Out of all those runs, we'd really have to know how many clean shots from 230#+ players each took. I'd bet that fitzgerald's would get close to doubling the others. Running inside takes away his ability to ever go out of bounds or see players coming as well. Even Timmy played with a broken arm.

I exaggerate, but I'm not saying we'll never throw it again. I do think we'll be more 1-dimensional than almost any team that doesn't run the triple option. I also think you should read the article and instead of getting blinded by the fluff, ask yourself in what scenario does that ever beat 3 very good defenses in a row where you can't win 1v1 matchups consistently.

17. biggator6

biggator6 Junior Member

Oxbucks:
    $40
    Ratings:
    +300 / -4
    2017 Cowbell U - Passing YPG - #116... worse than UF.

Let that sink in for a moment.

18. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $466
    Ratings:
    +7,531 / -29
    Yeah and their rushing offense was 15th and scoring offense was 37th. How does that compare to anything we've done around here in a decade?

• Like Like x 9
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  19. Since65

Since65 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $100
    Ratings:
    +405 / -0
    I guess I would say if you can run the ball successfully you're not going to throw it as much. UF was inept running and throwing. My impression is that MSU ran it relatively well as their base offense so they didn't throw as much. From what I saw of their games, they were not as terrible as UF even if they had fewer yards per game.

20. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,344
    Ratings:
    +7,189 / -91
    Does someone need to explain to you why that progression is important?