Does This Explain Why Jim is Unhappy?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Love your posts, sofla, but I am only half joking. I disagree on the perception question. I think a lot of SEC fans view us as having Bama like sense of entitlement without bama's winning record. I also think that the perception of a spoiled attitude could hurt us in attracting a new coach if we're not careful.
First off, I don't think a prospective coach worth a damn would ever consider the attitude of the fan base in making his choice. If you do your damn job and are successful, the fans will lay down in traffic for you. Any coach worrying about the fans on his way in would be a miserable failure. Frankly, I'm tired of Gator fans being shat all over by the holier-than-thou among us.

Secondly, I could not possibly care less what other SEC fan bases think of us - they can take a flying **** at a rolling donut. As far as a "sense of entitlement" about winning, we HAVE won 3 NC's in the last 20 years - we're not UGA. We've reached the mountaintop repeatedly.

This is like those weirdos that wring their hands about what Europeans think of Americans. Why the eff would you care about that?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
So...he wants out? The picture is coming together now and explains why we always stop doing the things that are successful and start running toss sweeps on 4th and 1. Dude is tanking the offense on purpose :eek3:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
How would Saban/Meyer or Spurrier react?

How about the Zooker?

giphy.gif

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
First off, I don't think a prospective coach worth a damn would ever consider the attitude of the fan base in making his choice. If you do your damn job and are successful, the fans will lay down in traffic for you. Any coach worrying about the fans on his way in would be a miserable failure. Frankly, I'm tired of Gator fans being shat all over by the holier-than-thou among us.

Secondly, I could not possibly care less what other SEC fan bases think of us - they can take a flying **** at a rolling donut. As far as a "sense of entitlement" about winning, we HAVE won 3 NC's in the last 20 years - we're not UGA. We've reached the mountaintop repeatedly.

This is like those weirdos that wring their hands about what Europeans think of Americans. Why the eff would you care about that?
Do you agree that Urban left because of fan attitude and maybe Spurrier, but somehow it is never thought of when they are coming? Oh! And both coaches won NCs at UF before fan attitude drove both away. Guess the fans weren't prostrating themselves in traffic for NC winning coaches.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
How would Saban/Meyer or Spurrier react?

How about the Zooker?

giphy.gif
This Is really odd. The body language speaks volumes.

I don't like this one bit.

This is not urban with his arm around Tebow. This an 8 year old girl with dirty clothes and unkempt hair grabbing a 12 pack of mountain dew for her morbidly obese mother in a electric cart at Wal-Mart.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Do you agree that Urban left because of fan attitude and maybe Spurrier, but somehow it is never thought of when they are coming? Oh! And both coaches won NCs at UF before fan attitude drove both away. Guess the fans weren't prostrating themselves in traffic for NC winning coaches.
:facepalm:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
SOS left for the biggest nfl contract in history. Fans? Total bull spit.

#fakenews

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I think Spurrier left because of Foley (Darnell Dockett, always on the cheap, etc); I think Meyer recruited some bad people and knew it would catch up to him if he stayed. It worked out well for him, nice vacation, million or so from espn, HC job at an equally prestigious university. It's fun for me to watch the SOB lose.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier had been flirting with the idea of the NFL for years. So much so that he negotiated in his UF contract a 30-day window after each season where he was permitted to talk to NFL teams.

It was common knowledge that he was year to year on the subject of leaving for the NFL. It had zero to do with the fans. As Bianchi, who became a confidante, said at the time, he was ready.

Meyer? He's a fruitcake. Who the hell knows why he melted. I don't think it had anything to do with the fans. He's just wired different.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier definitely wanted to see how he would do in the NFL. If we didn't have the Machen - Meyer situation when Zook was canned Spurrier wouldn't have had a problem coming back to UF to coach I would think.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Spurrier had been flirting with the idea of the NFL for years. So much so that he negotiated in his UF contract a 30-day window after each season where he was permitted to talk to NFL teams.

It was common knowledge that he was year to year on the subject of leaving for the NFL. It had zero to do with the fans. As Bianchi, who became a confidante, said at the time, he was ready.

Meyer? He's a fruitcake. Who the hell knows why he melted. I don't think it had anything to do with the fans. He's just wired different.
If we were discussing reality, you may well have a point on Spurrier. But several media accounts have surfaced suggesting he was not enchanted with the fans. There is certainly a perception that the fans played a role in his decision.
Ox and others on Meyer have a more difficult job. Shelley's remarks on the fans have been widely disseminated and assuredly played a role in the decision to leave. Reality and perception both suggest UF is viewed as having run off a NC winning coach.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If we were discussing reality, you may well have a point on Spurrier. But several media accounts have surfaced suggesting he was not enchanted with the fans. There is certainly a perception that the fans played a role in his decision.
Ox and others on Meyer have a more difficult job. Shelley's remarks on the fans have been widely disseminated and assuredly played a role in the decision to leave. Reality and perception both suggest UF is viewed as having run off a NC winning coach.

:jerkstore:

Meyer "broke" the program. He ditched while the ditchin' was good. If he quit because of something on a fan message board he's a bigger pussy that even I thought.

Spurrier, from day one as our coach, said that, "nothing is permanent". He never denied possible interest in the pros. Some grumblings from some fans don't effect decisions involving millions of dollars. You're delusional.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

UF may well and rightly choose to live happily with its reputation, but be sure that there are consequences. My State of residence deals with the consequences of having a Confederate flag in the upper left corner of its state flag daily.
Here's a concrete example. National accounting firm has a management position in Mississippi. Wants to fill it from its Florida office. Offers it to one senior CPA who turns it down as does a second
Loves Florida too much and they abhor Mississippi. Third CPA takes promotion finds she and her family adore the state. Likes her job so much she quickly gets further promotions and raises. Love the golf courses, fishing, neighbors, etc. Now neither MS nor the firm lost. Got a good manager and citizen. What they did lose was options. Had to take a third choice.
Here's the point. If UF's reputation forces a third choice for our next coach we might still get a good coach and the right man, but I guarantee that Ox and half the board will melt down at having been refused twice.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
UF may well and rightly choose to live happily with its reputation, but be sure that there are consequences. My State of residence deals with the consequences of having a Confederate flag in the upper left corner of its state flag daily.
Here's a concrete example. National accounting firm has a management position in Mississippi. Wants to fill it from its Florida office. Offers it to one senior CPA who turns it down as does a second
Loves Florida too much and they abhor Mississippi. Third CPA takes promotion finds she and her family adore the state. Likes her job so much she quickly gets further promotions and raises. Love the golf courses, fishing, neighbors, etc. Now neither MS nor the firm lost. Got a good manager and citizen. What they did lose was options. Had to take a third choice.
Here's the point. If UF's reputation forces a third choice for our next coach we might still get a good coach and the right man, but I guarantee that Ox and half the board will melt down at having been refused twice.

WTF?

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator