Driskel's comments - hope for the new offense ?

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
kepler;n14105 said:
So much has to change, and has changed, it seems impossible at times for this year to be a success. The Driskel we saw early last year, the entire offensive philosophy, coaches, etc. It looks like desperation, but I'm hoping for the best, and who knows, maybe Muschamp pulls it off brilliantly.

The only quote by Driskel I didn't like was when he said he liked that the the new offense allowed him to run more especially when you are facing the best DB's in the country. Just thought it was being too truthful and it was almost like saying I get nervous when I have to do that when my first read isn't there.
From what I can gather after watching some of Duke's games and reading about Roper's scheme is that QB running is a major part. Roper wants the QB's to make a couple quick reads, and either get the ball out right then and there or take off and make something happen. It isn't that Driskel or whoever the QB is in the system is getting nervous. It is just a quick read offense, quick hit offense. I like that the system is set up this way. All of Driskel's best plays, both passing and running, come when he is improvising instead of running set plays.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Champ knows defense. He knows how to spot talent in the defensive coaching ranks. He's completely clueless on offense and being a new HC I think he was led astray on some advice. One of the most powerful quotes IMO came from Muschamp:

Q. As a player and assistant coach, you've had fairly good success every place you've been. How difficult was last season for you personally and was there anybody you sort of reached out to to sort of talk things out or communicate with?

COACH MUSCHAMP: Well, unfortunately all the guys I know real well will lie to me now so I can't really talk to them. I really draw from within. I think we have a very strong staff at the University of Florida for the things we need to do to be successful moving forward. In most situations, even when I was a defensive coordinator, making difficult decisions, go with my gut and do what we need to do to be successful.

I think when you lean on the Sabans, Meyers, and Fishers of the world you're going to get burnt.

This comment/quote thingy isn't working for me very well today.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n14674 said:
exactly...this has been an ongoing problem for years now and people just want to bash muschamp. Trust me i believe he is plenty to blame with his bad hiring of offensive coaches and a pretty awful recruiting job as well.
IMO Muschamp pretty much sealed his fate when he failed to fix the holes in the offense, which were abundantly clear, with his 2nd signing class. You just positively can't go 4 years in the SEC with poor classes on the offensive side of the ball and repeated turnover in the OC, WR and OL coaches and not expect to be fired.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n14606 said:
It's not like we were an offensive jaugernaut in 2010. We did rank 82 out of 120 teams before Muschamp. Muschamp has hired some crappy offensive coordinators, but our offensive struggles didn't start with him.
Ranking 82nd on offense would make us euphoric after what we've endured the last several years.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n14690 said:
Ranking 82nd on offense would make us euphoric after what we've endured the last several years.

Yep but I think we just had a few less yards a game last season (or 2012 anyway) than that 2010 offense. Most offenses in the country have been gaining more yards in recent years except ours.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n14633 said:
Unfortunately I can't pull the 10,000 post that you made in support of him on the GSMB.
I blamed Muschamp for his part in these past years, I just don't feel like harping on it like some do.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Has Driskel ever not been injured during a season? No? Who is the back up...100% chance he'll see the field.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX said:
Has Driskel ever not been injured during a season? No? Who is the back up...100% chance he'll see the field.
I think it would be a minor miracle for him not to miss a start this season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n14674 said:
exactly...this has been an ongoing problem for years now and people just want to bash muschamp. Trust me i believe he is plenty to blame with his bad hiring of offensive coaches and a pretty awful recruiting job as well.

We were definitely driving off the cliff under Meyer. However, Cramp gets paid 3.5 million to assess the situation and fix it. He ignored it if not made it worse with his Big, Dumb Will Mushcramp/Ray Goof Ball philosophy. We was definitely left a steaming pile of crap, on offense, no doubt. Debose, Demps, Rainey, Brantley, Thompson, Burtons and Driskel do not an offense make, and for that most of us gave Cramp a pass on his terrible 2011 season.

That's all you get a top football program.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n14563 said:
You still have no proof of that.

You mean other than direct quotes?

I know, I know, there are direct quotes that are exactly the opposite. That's what panicked liars do, lie poorly.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
T REX said:
GF: I'd like your comment but I don't know how to.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n14684 said:
IMO Muschamp pretty much sealed his fate when he failed to fix the holes in the offense, which were abundantly clear, with his 2nd signing class. You just positively can't go 4 years in the SEC with poor classes on the offensive side of the ball and repeated turnover in the OC, WR and OL coaches and not expect to be fired.
Well that's what you get when you try and take a spread offense and turn it into a "power" offense. We were already lacking playmakers and he wanted to get bigger...that didn't work out so well so now we are going back to spread and we really don't have the athletes now to make that work...at least not with any type of injury scenario again.
the really bad thing about this is this is a really really good year for recruiting in Florida with a lot of pro UF guys that will be right there for the taking if we turn this around...in normal years they probably would have already jumped on UF but there are just too many unknowns about the UF program right now.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
LagoonGator68;n14669 said:

• #6.2

GIGator commented
    [COLOR=#366092 !important]Yesterday, 01:53 PM[/COLOR]

I believe Saban got Muschamp on Pease. I don't think it was intentional. Saban was really interested in Pease and I think that increased Muschamp's interest. Meyer got Muschamp in several other ways, including interfering with the players that played for Meyer.

Mac Brown was allegedly going to bring Weis to UT as OC and that is why WM hired him. WM is just woefully deficient about all things offense for a HBC.
He put his trust in the wrong people. I really believe Saban's interest in Pease lead him down the wrong road. Heck, Saban may have intentionally set Muschamp up. Muschamp made that comment about people lying to him with a pretty straight face. Let's hope he learned from it. I believe he hit a home run with Roper. I, also, believe he change his philosophy because he came to realize that the people he thought were mentoring him, lead him astray. There are a lot of things that haven't come out. I hope we get to learn what they are, one day. I know Meyer stuck his nose in things, until Muschamp slammed the door in his face.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Just a little info to highlight my point...these are the offensive recruits for meyer's last 2 years and Muschamps first 2...it's pretty staggering how few even made it a couple of years and the amount of career backups they produced and really no true stars. At best we have seen some solid starters or role players.

2009-

Stephen Alli- career backup
Andre Debose- Injuries/bust
Xavier Nixon- Bust
Kyle Koehne- career backup
Jordan Reed-
Desmond Parks- Transfer
Jonotthan Harrison
Nick Alajajian- Bust
Mike Gillislee
Jon Halapio

2010-

Chaz Green
Tyler Murphy- career backup/transfer
Chris Dunkley- transfer
Quinton Dunbar
Mack Brown- career backup
Soloman Patton
Gerald Christian- transfer
Michael McFarland- transfer
Trey Burton
Ian Silberman- career backup

2011-

Jacoby Brissett- transfer
Ac Leonard- transfer
Trip Thurman- career backup
Tommy Jordan
Hunter Joyer
Jeff Driskel
Jajuan Story- transfer
Clay Burton- recruited DE/moved TE
Tevin Westbrook- recruited DE/moved TE
Valdez Showers- recruited DB/moved to RB/WR

2012-

Raph Andrades- backup
Skyler Monhinweg- backup
Kent Tayloer- transfer
DJ Humphries
Colin Thompson- career ending injury
Jessamen Dunker- kicked off team
Matt Jones
Latroy Pittman
it always amazes me to go back and see ow many transfers we had those years.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
LagoonGator68;n14684 said:
Well that's what you get when you try and take a spread offense and turn it into a "power" offense. We were already lacking playmakers and he wanted to get bigger...that didn't work out so well so now we are going back to spread and we really don't have the athletes now to make that work...at least not with any type of injury scenario again.
the really bad thing about this is this is a really really good year for recruiting in Florida with a lot of pro UF guys that will be right there for the taking if we turn this around...in normal years they probably would have already jumped on UF but there are just too many unknowns about the UF program right now.
Hopefully we get a good start and split with Bama / LSU and continue to win so we can get a good recruiting class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator