Egbunu Out For season – Torn ACL

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Thank you for the morning funny. Arguing the merits of Humphrey Rimmer and Kurtz as to their defense helped me forget my tax bill a few minutes.
Lee H was a complete player his last two years. He worked hard to become that. I saw almost every game and if he was a defensive liability it was far from obvious. Kurtz played smart with pretty good size. Rimmer is now gonna have to step up. Next man up I hear they say. When we play powerful inside teams (like TAM) we are gonna have to double team a lot quicker and smarter. Our forwards are gonna have to rebound more, MikeWh is gonna have to coach his fanny off now. Maybe this is going to help MW in the long run. Making a real adjustment to a team that was clicking so well. How to shuffle players to compensate for such a tough loss. Maybe some zone against the bigger inside teams

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather Rimmer sit down than step up personally. He is a complete liability on both ends. I'd rather give up height and strength and go with Stone than use Rimmer because he's tall. At least Stone will bring another dimension on offense (will bring the C out to guard him leaving more opps for offensive rebounds).

We still have a very good team so don't lose hope boys!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So Hayes is averaging around 15 minutes per game. He's had a handful of games in the 20 minute range.
He needs to be around 23-24 from here on out, maybe a dozen from Stone. If we're playing Rimmer more
than 5-6 minutes a game we'll be in trouble.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Keith Stone has 1 point since January 14th, I'd honestly trust Rimmer more until Stone gets back on track.
He has struggled of late but he did miss a few games. Atleast we have a couple games to get him going.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This thread has gotten out of control. There is no spinning this.

1. This is a huge hit to the team. Egbunu's presence on the defensive end CANNOT be under-stated. Hayes is very good, but isn't as strong as Egbunu so stronger guys can push him around. The 1-2 punch of having Egbunu then putting a very good Hayes out there kept a dangerous shot blocker in the middle of our D. We have lost that when Hayes is out... it is a HUGE loss.

2. I was getting excited for a possible serious run at the Final Four this year with the way this team was playing. Is it possible now? Sure... anything is possible in the tourney... especially if you get favorable matchups, but our chances went down big time.

3. Lee Humphrey was a fantastic defender. He wasn't super athletic and quick and did at times struggle with quicker guards, but he generally played great D on whoever he guarded. His defense is one of the key reasons he got playing time when he was a freshman. If you are questioning his defensive ability you should stop talking basketball.

4. Rimmer is not very good. I like the guy... he plays hard and tries to do his job, but he is not very good. He is too slow to really be effective as a defender. He can grab some rebounds and fill a gap to a point, but he is not going to be a solution. If Rimmer is playing a lot of minutes we are in trouble. There is a reason he is a walk-on at that size.

5. Gak will not be a help. He is extremely raw and weighs about 10 pounds.. maybe 15 now that he has hit the weights some. I think the kid has potential, but he needs time to develop skills and strength.

Last... this is still a great year for this team. We will see how they adjust in the next couple weeks, but I think a Sweet 16 run is still possible and then you never know. If Mike White can keep them playing at a really high level that just says more and more about how good of a job he has done this year. I'm proud of this team for this year. They made basketball fun again (not just the winning, but quality of play).

White is going to be a good one and the success they have had this year will hopefully help him bring in more talent which can give this team lots of success.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

1. This is a huge hit to the team. Egbunu's presence on the defensive end CANNOT be under-stated. Hayes is very good, but isn't as strong as Egbunu so stronger guys can push him around. The 1-2 punch of having Egbunu then putting a very good Hayes out there kept a dangerous shot blocker in the middle of our D. We have lost that when Hayes is out... it is a HUGE loss.

2. I was getting excited for a possible serious run at the Final Four this year with the way this team was playing. Is it possible now? Sure... anything is possible in the tourney... especially if you get favorable matchups, but our chances went down big time.

3. Lee Humphrey was a fantastic defender. He wasn't super athletic and quick and did at times struggle with quicker guards, but he generally played great D on whoever he guarded. His defense is one of the key reasons he got playing time when he was a freshman. If you are questioning his defensive ability you should stop talking basketball.

4. Rimmer is not very good. I like the guy... he plays hard and tries to do his job, but he is not very good. He is too slow to really be effective as a defender. He can grab some rebounds and fill a gap to a point, but he is not going to be a solution. If Rimmer is playing a lot of minutes we are in trouble. There is a reason he is a walk-on at that size.

5. Gak will not be a help. He is extremely raw and weighs about 10 pounds.. maybe 15 now that he has hit the weights some. I think the kid has potential, but he needs time to develop skills and strength.

Last... this is still a great year for this team. We will see how they adjust in the next couple weeks, but I think a Sweet 16 run is still possible and then you never know. If Mike White can keep them playing at a really high level that just says more and more about how good of a job he has done this year. I'm proud of this team for this year. They made basketball fun again (not just the winning, but quality of play).

White is going to be a good one and the success they have had this year will hopefully help him bring in more talent which can give this team lots of success.

:clap:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

You sir are correct on all matters except 1 thing. Add 100 pounds to the weight of Gak.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, are you serious? The reason to have depth is so the lost of no single player is devastating.

Will it hurt UF's chances. Sure. Will UF have less depth, sure but center is the position UF had the most depth. Will guys have to step up. Of course. UF had a good rotation of 10 players. Now UF has 9 players unless Rimmer can step up. Could those 9 players each play 2 minutes more a game? If so that would replace most of Egbunu's minutes.
You got NV'd. :lol:
It's similar to getting:
rickrolled.gif

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hayes only weighs 218? Good Lord that boy needs to get to 230 somehow. I hope he isn't vegan :wink2:
It was the roster listed weights, likely from the beginning of the season. Most guys don't put weight on during the season as they're working so hard on conditioning, but I would expect both of Hayes and Gak to add some weight/muscle in the off-season. They're gonna need it to go up against Stokes in practice. ;)

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather Rimmer sit down than step up personally. He is a complete liability on both ends. I'd rather give up height and strength and go with Stone than use Rimmer because he's tall. At least Stone will bring another dimension on offense (will bring the C out to guard him leaving more opps for offensive rebounds).

We still have a very good team so don't lose hope boys!

With Eggy first half, 50-50; without Eggy, 64-45.......we'll be fine.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
FYI: Gak weighs more than Hayes (231 to 218). He's two inches taller, so maybe he looks thinner. :dunno:

I don't think he just looks thinner... I think Hayes clearly is stronger. Hayes has been through our strength and conditioning program. He has put on muscle in his two years and has shown he can play.

Gak will get pushed around. He is not ready for D1 ball.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he just looks thinner... I think Hayes clearly is stronger. Hayes has been through our strength and conditioning program. He has put on muscle in his two years and has shown he can play.

Gak will get pushed around. He is not ready for D1 ball.
I agree. Gak is pretty far behind. I think he might a even 2 years from contributing. Wish we coulda redshirted him.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. Gak is pretty far behind. I think he might a even 2 years from contributing. Wish we coulda redshirted him.

Agreed. He needs to really work on his explosiveness, that's what separates him and Hayes. Gak kinda lumbers around and Hayes is quick twitchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator