Felipe Franks vs Malik Zaire

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Like it or not, Zaire needs to start against Michigan. Barring an abysmal performance in camp, you can't start Franks in the first game. It's a disaster waiting to happen. You don't throw a guy like Franks into the fire against an aggressive D-coordinator like Michigan has straight away.

Michigan will more than likely show more than a few exotic looks (delayed blitzes, stunts, drop D-linemen into coverage) and he's not experienced enough to identify who is blitzing, call the proper blocking protections, and check us out of bad plays on a consistent basis without the real in-game reps. It's one thing to look like a pro in the flight simulator; it's another thing to actually fly the damn plane and land it smoothly.

I'm not taking anything away from Franks. He could develop into an excellent QB. I just think Zaire has been around the block and has the poise and expertise to handle an opponent on a stage like this. Just listening to the quotes from media day, it sounds like Zaire has taken control of the team and offense. His presence at the QB position will make Michigan play us more honestly. Also, you won't see the kind of miscommunication with blocking assignments with the O-line or RB position very frequently with him at QB. That kind of mishap could cost us the game and you need an experienced signal caller orchestrating the show in a hostile environment.

Zaire has to be the guy on Day 1.

I think Franks would be a disaster also opening against that defense.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe he's pretending to be a Nole/Cane so we won't figure out he's actually Alvin York
I know he doesn't talk like Alvin (like a full blown retard) but I never belived Alvin was a real person anyway so Omar could be Alvin!

No not of the Dork resemblance but sure has the Sid sound.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I think Franks would be a disaster also opening against that defense.

So it is only the QB who needs to identify these things? No responsibility of say backs to pick up blitz, no responsibility of coaches to have plays designed to discourage such, no responsibility of TE to chip or engage blitzers?

Now for being able to run to avoid sacks, discourage blitzs by making them pay and perhaps some (a little) more experience I don't put it all on the QB.

I do expect if the new guy knows the play book and has been working on timing with receivers he has an advantage. How much only time will tell.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So it is only the QB who needs to identify these things? No responsibility of say backs to pick up blitz, no responsibility of coaches to have plays designed to discourage such, no responsibility of TE to chip or engage blitzers?

Now for being able to run to avoid sacks, discourage blitzs by making them pay and perhaps some (a little) more experience I don't put it all on the QB.

I do expect if the new guy knows the play book and has been working on timing with receivers he has an advantage. How much only time will tell.

After watching Franks just out of high school in those a games and that first spring game where it wasn't made easy for him like this season I think he might possibly have a little Driskel in him and fall apart if he was to face a blitzing team like that right now.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://gridironnow.com/tom-luginbill-doesnt-buy-malik-zaire-being-floridas-starting-quarterback/

Tom Luginbill said Wednesday on “The Roundtable” on WJOX-FM in Birmingham, Alabama that he doesn’t see things working in Zaire’s favor at quarterback with the Gators.

“I don’t think Zaire has any chance of being the quarterback there,” Luginbill said. “I’m shocked by that move. I don’t understand it. There’s not a fit. It’s not an easy offense to learn in three weeks.”
---------------------------------------------------------

I think he is just trying to push his same stuff with no real sources on it. Wasn't he the one who said Zaire woldn't be coming here in the first place or that the SEC wasn't going to change the rule - it was one of the two I think.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://gridironnow.com/tom-luginbill-doesnt-buy-malik-zaire-being-floridas-starting-quarterback/

Tom Luginbill said Wednesday on “The Roundtable” on WJOX-FM in Birmingham, Alabama that he doesn’t see things working in Zaire’s favor at quarterback with the Gators.

“I don’t think Zaire has any chance of being the quarterback there,” Luginbill said. “I’m shocked by that move. I don’t understand it. There’s not a fit. It’s not an easy offense to learn in three weeks.”
---------------------------------------------------------

I think he is just trying to push his same stuff with no real sources on it. Wasn't he the one who said Zaire woldn't be coming here in the first place or that the SEC wasn't going to change the rule - it was one of the two I think.
This guy has been saying this since before Zaire was actually coming here. At least he is consistent I guess, but I don't think he knows anything.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Like it or not, Zaire needs to start against Michigan. Barring an abysmal performance in camp, you can't start Franks in the first game. It's a disaster waiting to happen. You don't throw a guy like Franks into the fire against an aggressive D-coordinator like Michigan has straight away.

Michigan will more than likely show more than a few exotic looks (delayed blitzes, stunts, drop D-linemen into coverage) and he's not experienced enough to identify who is blitzing, call the proper blocking protections, and check us out of bad plays on a consistent basis without the real in-game reps. It's one thing to look like a pro in the flight simulator; it's another thing to actually fly the damn plane and land it smoothly.

I'm not taking anything away from Franks. He could develop into an excellent QB. I just think Zaire has been around the block and has the poise and expertise to handle an opponent on a stage like this. Just listening to the quotes from media day, it sounds like Zaire has taken control of the team and offense. His presence at the QB position will make Michigan play us more honestly. Also, you won't see the kind of miscommunication with blocking assignments with the O-line or RB position very frequently with him at QB. That kind of mishap could cost us the game and you need an experienced signal caller orchestrating the show in a hostile environment.

Zaire has to be the guy on Day 1.
This, + his ability to scramble.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I don't know who will start but both will play and contribute.

As to Zaire....he's already proved to be a brilliant acquisition. He's a leader. He is an intelligent, high energy, positive force with a contagious personality. He will be great in the locker room and a role model. Maybe, most importantly, he allows Franks to continue to be developed at the proper pace. I think Franks will be a good QB in due time. Huge upside.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't know who will start but both will play and contribute.

As to Zaire....he's already proved to be a brilliant acquisition. He's a leader. He is an intelligent, high energy, positive force with a contagious personality. He will be great in the locker room and a role model. Maybe, most importantly, he allows Franks to continue to be developed at the proper pace. I think Franks will be a good QB in due time. Huge upside.

You left out 56% completion rate.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
If neither of the other QBs can beat out Del Taco then we're in serious trouble this year. I'd put Trask or Allen out there over Del Taco.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember him because he wrote his posts with a lisp and was constantly yelling at his mom.
giphy.gif

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Florida should have a top-quality QB. Zaire has had years to show that he is not a top quality, take over the team guy. Franks, so far, seems too over-reactive to consistently lead successful drives. Thus, we go into 2017 having to not depend on our centerpiece. That's not UF's style. So, we should watch & stress our RBs and run blocking.

I too am tired of having an HC-CEO that cannot develop a QB that he can tout as the "take-charge" guy. Mac should be able to point to one QB leader, and tell the others what that one is better at so those others can work at getting better = real competition for boss-QB. They can't each & every one be having the exact same success at throwing the fade, the sideline dart, the long pass, etc. etc.
And mainly I'm only hearing WR's names who are dropping the passes?? I think something's off with the reporting? How many passes are thrown in practice? Tell us Franks went 9 for16, Zaire went 8 for 12, LDR went 18 for 35. See, what that would inform us.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
Mac was able to develop a QB at Colorado State and McElroy was good too under him. I'm not sure if John Parker Wilson was under him or not but he looked ok. That was before Saban had the machine rolling like he does now. His history leads me to believe he can develop one. In fact, I think Grier was close to being the guy until he screwed the pooch with the whole drug/supplement issues.

With Nuss well I got nothing other than AJ Mccaron....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.