Few saw McElwain's other side at Colorado State

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...w-saw-jim-mcelwains-other-side-csu/814529001/
The guy who sat in his corner office on the second floor of the McGraw Athletic Center at CSU and barked orders at his subordinates, demanding they drop whatever they were doing to attend to whatever his immediate need was at the time.

The man who looked down on the rest of the athletic department staff, making sure they all knew the head football coach, his $1.35 million-a-year-salary and his $12 million-a-year-program were far more important than they were.

He called people by nicknames of his choosing, maybe because it was easier than learning their actual names.
Discuss.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
All I can say is this guy fooled Jeremy Foley HARD in interviews. It becomes more and more obvious that Foley didn't do his due diligence on Mac. Why hasn't someone shoved a microphone in his face and asked him about this firing?

Foley suddenly has nothing to say.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
buddy of mine who used to work at the UAA and now works at another SEC school told me that the good ol' boy schtick that Mac always had in front of the media was a sham. Said he was actually pretty manipulating and calculating, and would pretty much throw anyone under the bus to get his way. He may be great with his players, but my buddy didn't seem to think much of the way he treated the UAA staff.

Take it for what's it's worth

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
All I can say is this guy fooled Jeremy Foley HARD in interviews. It becomes more and more obviously Foley didn't do his due diligence on Mac. Why hasn't someone shoved a microphone in his face and asked him about this firing?

Foley suddenly has nothing to say.
On paper, the guy looked like a home run. On paper, his resume is still a very attractive on for some program in need of a HBC.
On paper, he did a creditable at UF with his 2 SECe championships, new IPF, a few impressive wins, and continued improvement on
the recruiting trail. However, paper is what you need when you take a poop.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
c8fce312f321a767d12a4f0c2a01ef01433b312c22910cca0bcdd5ad9549aa01.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I blame Ox completely. We sent him to Colorado on a scouting trip he came back telling us how great butterteeth was.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
On paper, he did a creditable at UF with his 2 SECe championships, new IPF, a few impressive wins, and continued improvement on the recruiting trail.
Gotta disagree a little with you there, Nova. The SEC East "titles" were only due to the weakest schedule in decades, and outside of maybe the Ole Miss game I can't think of a single impressive win. He was an absolute disaster on the recruiting trail. A disaster.

If someone wants to give him credit for b!tching about facilities, okay I guess. Other than that, he did nothing but take the program backwards even from the horrible condition he inherited it in.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some writer at Fox Sports made a disparaging tweet about him on Sunday or Monday, talking about how he mistreated his staff at CSU after he got the UF job (which is very likely why he didn't bring many of them w/ him to UF, which is very common for a new coach). I always thought it was weird he only brought one of his coaches w/ him, as you know going from CSU to UF would have been a huge jump up the coaching ladder for those assistants:

FOX Sports’ Joel Klatt burns Jim McElwain: ‘Sorry I don’t feel sorry’

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/fox-sports-joel-klatt-burns-jim-mcelwain-sorry-dont-feel-sorry

Joel Klatt had strong words to share about Jim McElwain.

On Sunday, it was reported that Florida and the coach were parting ways after McElwain went 22-12 with the Gators since arriving in Gainesville before the 2015 season. Shortly after, the FOX Sports analyst used Twitter to rip McElwain, referencing the coach’s treatment of staff at Colorado State during a stint at the school that spanned from 2012 to 2014.

McElwain treated his staff at Colorado State terrible once he got the Florida job that they helped him get…Sorry I don't feel sorry

— Joel Klatt (@joelklatt)
October 29, 2017

Ouch.

That’s a sizzling opinion, especially the part that reads, “Sorry I don’t feel sorry.”

Klatt has a connection to Colorado as well. He was a quarterback at the University of Colorado from 2002 to 2005. Clearly, he doesn’t think highly of McElwain, and his stance comes out in a big way in the tweet above.

It will be interesting to see what happens to McElwain in his post-Florida life.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
All I can wonder is if Jim McElwain is humbled from this experience.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Gotta disagree a little with you there, Nova. The SEC East "titles" were only due to the weakest schedule in decades, and outside of maybe the Ole Miss game I can't think of a single impressive win. He was an absolute disaster on the recruiting trail. A disaster.

If someone wants to give him credit for b!tching about facilities, okay I guess. Other than that, he did nothing but take the program backwards even from the horrible condition he inherited it in.

Remember it is "on paper" that means those reading it know nothing other than these "facts". Not how little he actually improved, or how weak the SEC east was.

Otherwise great comments.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
All I can wonder is if Jim McElwain is humbled from this experience.

Probably not really, sure he finally stopped whining that we will get it fixed and admitted he did not get his job done properly.

He is probably counting his money, and figures a lesser job is in his future. Look at Champ!!!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
"He called people by nicknames of his choosing, maybe because it was easier than learning their actual names."

:ohboy:

:burn2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.