Few saw McElwain's other side at Colorado State

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe it will be hard for him to get another job.

I'm hoping Bama hires him when Saban retires, and he drags them down into the depths, then wait to see what that loudmouth a$$ kissing buddy of his Greg McElroy has to say. Love to see if his tune changes when it's his team getting destroyed.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
All I can wonder is if Jim McElwain is humbled from this experience.
It's a narcissist characteristic in my opinion and i doubt seriously he thinks he was the problem or will learn anything. I am glad that others outside of the SEC and UF are calling his azz out now. Maybe Booger McFarland and ginger boy Bama will STFU.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I’m rethinking my previous statement that I feel a certain amount of pity for mac.

Also, I agree that foley should be providing some answers, and possibly asked to clear out his office.

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Here more of it but from UFs standpoint.

@ChaddScott: Lot of great detail here from @buddyshow about what Mac did behind scenes that aggravated UF administration http://gridironnow.com/jim-mcelwain-never-good-fit/

There will be plenty of talk these next few days about his successor. I’m just going to leave my short list here.

1. Dan Mullen; 2. Scott Frost; 3. Charlie Strong.
I guess I am not the only one. I would not be surprised if USF beats UCF in a few weeks. Texas was not a fit for him, Muschamp would have worked well at the 40 Acres. It was one of those timing issues. Strong coming back home and Muschamp continuing after Brown would have worked for both schools.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I said it in another thread, but I believe that, when we do get something more than a 3/out offense, that there will be a 2-3 season honeymoon period for that coach and then the super high expectations will return. Price you pay for being at a top flight program.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm hoping Bama hires him when Saban retires, and he drags them down into the depths, then wait to see what that loudmouth a$$ kissing buddy of his Greg McElroy has to say. Love to see if his tune changes when it's his team getting destroyed.

Bama wants nothing to do with him. That should tell you everything.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can’t believe that guy:

1. Said fan expectations are unrealistic. Is it too much to ask for something better than a “3 & out” offense?

2. Put mullen in his list of top 3 candidates.

Buddy Martin is the King of "Full of Sh*t"!! So, yeah, I agree. He does have sources, as he's been covering UF for years. He did a book w/ Spurrier. His head is so big he barely fits through the average doorway. Notice how he mentions he was one of 15 media who were in a "closed door" interview w/ Butters. And putting Mullen on any list is simply laziness. Sure, he may be a candidate, but he's gotta be somewhere outside of the top 5.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
On paper, the guy looked like a home run.

Not at all, on paper when UF hired McElwain:

1. He had never won a division title not to mention a conference title

2. He did take CSU from 3-9 the year before he was there to 4-8 his first year.

3. He then got a 5* RB that he talked into transferring from UAL to CSU eligible and had a couple of good but not great seasons. You can debate about stars, but getting a 5* RB in a conference like CSU plays is can mask a lot of coaching flaws.

At UF winning the division was never going to be enough, though at least his resume is better now and better than Zook's when he got the Illinois job.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
buddy of mine who used to work at the UAA and now works at another SEC school told me that the good ol' boy schtick that Mac always had in front of the media was a sham. Said he was actually pretty manipulating and calculating, and would pretty much throw anyone under the bus to get his way. He may be great with his players, but my buddy didn't seem to think much of the way he treated the UAA staff.

Take it for what's it's worth
And Foley never got this in his research and interviews prior to hiring? My opinion of JF has taken a 180 these past several years.

All I can wonder is if Jim McElwain is humbled from this experience.

DyVy5.gif

narcissists are never humbled
Nor are the vainglorious and self-absorbed.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some writer at Fox Sports made a disparaging tweet about him on Sunday or Monday, talking about how he mistreated his staff at CSU after he got the UF job (which is very likely why he didn't bring many of them w/ him to UF, which is very common for a new coach). I always thought it was weird he only brought one of his coaches w/ him, as you know going from CSU to UF would have been a huge jump up the coaching ladder for those assistants:

FOX Sports’ Joel Klatt burns Jim McElwain: ‘Sorry I don’t feel sorry’

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/fox-sports-joel-klatt-burns-jim-mcelwain-sorry-dont-feel-sorry

Joel Klatt had strong words to share about Jim McElwain.

On Sunday, it was reported that Florida and the coach were parting ways after McElwain went 22-12 with the Gators since arriving in Gainesville before the 2015 season. Shortly after, the FOX Sports analyst used Twitter to rip McElwain, referencing the coach’s treatment of staff at Colorado State during a stint at the school that spanned from 2012 to 2014.

McElwain treated his staff at Colorado State terrible once he got the Florida job that they helped him get…Sorry I don't feel sorry

— Joel Klatt (@joelklatt)
October 29, 2017

Ouch.

That’s a sizzling opinion, especially the part that reads, “Sorry I don’t feel sorry.”

Klatt has a connection to Colorado as well. He was a quarterback at the University of Colorado from 2002 to 2005. Clearly, he doesn’t think highly of McElwain, and his stance comes out in a big way in the tweet above.

It will be interesting to see what happens to McElwain in his post-Florida life.
Why is this coming out now. A bunch of yip yap cur dogs.

Sep 28, 2017
I see now why Saban hired him. He has the same personality. Saban is able to get away with it because he is a good coach.:D

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
All I can say is this guy fooled Jeremy Foley HARD in interviews. It becomes more and more obvious that Foley didn't do his due diligence on Mac. Why hasn't someone shoved a microphone in his face and asked him about this firing?

Foley suddenly has nothing to say.

Yep, you CAN NOT pay that big a buy out and have the guy not be a good fit. I wonder what program Foley imagines he was AD of? UAL? He certainly showed zero understanding of the UF program and its style going back to Graves.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I’m rethinking my previous statement that I feel a certain amount of pity for mac.

Also, I agree that foley should be providing some answers, and possibly asked to clear out his office.

We should never revel in someone losing their job unless they have committed a particularly awful crime involving that job. So while I am happy McElwain is not UF's coach, I am not happy he lost his job. And yes this reflects on Foley for sure.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
We should never revel in someone losing their job unless they have committed a particularly awful crime involving that job. So while I am happy McElwain is not UF's coach, I am not happy he lost his job. And yes this reflects on Foley for sure.

I’m not reveling, I’m just not feeling much pity now.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On paper, the guy looked like a home run. On paper, his resume is still a very attractive on for some program in need of a HBC.
On paper, he did a creditable at UF with his 2 SECe championships, new IPF, a few impressive wins, and continued improvement on
the recruiting trail. However, paper is what you need when you take a poop.
On what paper was he a homerun hire? Because he coached at bama? Nothing about him screamed homerun.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He made enough money at UF to be set for life and got another million+ on his way out the door. We should all be so lucky to lose a job like that.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
He made enough money at UF to be set for life and got another million+ on his way out the door. We should all be so lucky to lose a job like that.

I certainly agree. He should be set for life and he should be able to coach still and make more each year than most of us make even if as an assistant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator