Votes: 54 42.2%
  • Hiring Jim McElwain

Votes: 74 57.8%

• Total voters

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Well here is a good off season topic for everyone. How much does having a beat writer like Brockway who is completely indifferent to UF basketball hurt the enthusiasm for the program?

Twitter is full of a PG taking an official visit to UF and claims that UF's newly hired associate head coach in basketball is leaving after a couple of weeks, yet Brockway is writing about Calathes maybe catching on in the NBA again and Donovan at OKC. The two stories Brockway did not write about required some work on his part. The two stories he did write about required reading an article on ESPN and reading an article on BleacherReport.

So how much does this kind of effort affect interest in UF's men's basketball program or is Brockway correct and no one really cares if he puts in any work or not.
Those guys haven't cared about UF basketball since the back to back championships. I have been waiting for these bums to release something about Armon Gates, but you know it won't happen because if they do it without approval they will get cut off. But then again releasing breaking news or rumors would require actual work.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Well here is a good off season topic for everyone. How much does having a beat writer like Brockway who is completely indifferent to UF basketball hurt the enthusiasm for the program?

Twitter is full of a PG taking an official visit to UF and claims that UF's newly hired associate head coach in basketball is leaving after a couple of weeks, yet Brockway is writing about Calathes maybe catching on in the NBA again and Donovan at OKC. The two stories Brockway did not write about required some work on his part. The two stories he did write about required reading an article on ESPN and reading an article on BleacherReport.

So how much does this kind of effort affect interest in UF's men's basketball program or is Brockway correct and no one really cares if he puts in any work or not.
It hurts some for sure...but he is a MILLION times better than Harry!!!!!!!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Chris Harry writes some good articles on Gators Basketball and he calls out the folks on twitter that bash the Gators when we lose. When we win, he calls out those haters who don't have anything to say when we win. Sounds familiar...

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Chris Harry writes some good articles on Gators Basketball and he calls out the folks on twitter that bash the Gators when we lose. When we win, he calls out those haters who don't have anything to say when we win. Sounds familiar...

Oh, hi Chris!
:bananawave:

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
On the issue of Brockway, at the end of this short post:

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/05/gates-on-move-from-florida-to-nebraska/

on Gates leaving UF for UNL, Brockway:

1. corrects without admitting his error his claim that Hudson was invited to the combine. He wasn't and that is a big story he is ignoring.

2. again is wrong in listing the NBA deadline for with drawing from the draft, 11 June 2018, rather than the binding NCAA deadline for with drawing from the draft, 30 May 2018 (11:59 p.m. ET). The NCAA deadline is binding if Hudson want to play NCAA basketball this coming season. It is not like the binding NCAA deadline has not be different than the NBA deadline for a number of years.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/04/24/nba-draft-pool-decisions-withdrawal-deadline

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Pat Lawless on Twitter said:
Pat Lawless‏ @PatLawless_ Apr 12
2019 Five-Star duo Bryan Antoine & Scottie Lewis from Team Rio (NJ) in-home visit schedule:
4/13 | Duke's Mike Krzyzewski
4/14 | Kentucky's John Calipari
4/15 | St. John's Chris Mullin & Memphis' Penny Hardaway
4/17 | Florida's Mike white
4/18 | Villanova's Jay Wright

That UF is one of six programs that had in home visits with these two top 10 players is a pretty big deal.

Last edited:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Anyone know anything newsworthy about this guy? Job-hopped from UT to LSU to Texas Tech in three years...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Anyone know anything newsworthy about this guy? Job-hopped from UT to LSU to Texas Tech in three years...

I just saw this and all I have found out so far is that he is 6'6" tall and played in the front court at NCSU so that aspect encourages me.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Picking from Texas Tech who was pretty good last year.

He was also at Ole Piss

"During his time at Ole Miss, Pinkins coached the program’s all-time leading rebounder in Murphy Holloway and the program’s all-time leading shot blocker in Reginald Buckner. Holloway came away with an All-SEC First-Team selection, while Bucker tucked away SEC All-Defensive Team honors in 2013."

Looks like white got someone to coach the big guys.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20180511/uf-hires-pinkins-as-associate-basketball-coach

.......l."The Gators announced Texas Tech assistant coach Al Pinkins as its new associate coach on Friday, hoping that the former 6-foot-6 North Carolina State forward can help develop their stable of forward and centers. The Gators were often outscored in the paint last season and finished last in the SEC in rebounding margin.

Overall, Pinkins brings 15 years of coaching experience, having began his career from 2003-11 at Middle Tennessee State under former MTSU and current Ole Miss coach Kermit Davis.

“We’re really excited about the opportunity to bring Al to Florida,” White said. “I’ve known Al for many years, and his high-level coaching experience and familiarity with the SEC make him a great addition to our coaching staff. He does great work in all phases of the job, but has a particularly strong track record of developing big men.”

Pinkins is replacing Armon Gates, whose three-week stint with the Gators came to an end when he accepted the Nebraska assistant coaching position Monday. A report in the Chicago Sun Times said the move was initiated by White due to concerns of “dynamics within the coaching staff.” Current assistant coaches Darris Nichols and Jordan Mincy were former guards in college, as was Gates, who was hired to replace Dusty May when May left to become head coach at FAU.

“Recently, I had the chance to revisit some discussions I had with Coach White when his staff first had an opening. It became clear that the University of Florida is a special place and a program my family and I want to be a part of. I’m ready to get to work.”

A former Camilla, Georgia high school football and basketball standout, Pinkins played two seasons at Chipola Junior College before moving on to play at North Carolina State under Les Robinson. Pinkins played professionally overseas in Spain, China, Qatar and with the USBL and IBA for six years before beginning his coaching career. He earned a bachelor’s degree from North Carolina State in 1998 in sociology."

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Looks like white got someone to coach the big guys.

I saw another article mention he’s a good but not great recruiter, but his track record for coaching big men will still give UF an advantage over many programs. I can live with that.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Why the facepalm? Is he low ranked? Ya gotta give more info to those of us who don’t memorize the names and rankings of all 20,000 recruits.
I figured it's because he called the school "Florida University". Doesn't give you a lot of confidence that he's serious if he can't get the name right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.