Not open for further replies.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whoa official acknowledgement.

@GatorZoneFB: We’ve had very productive conversations with Coach McElwain and his wife Karen and those continue.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Gatoravatara;n123491 said:
We will find out. I'm curious who other programs with vacant seat will end up hiring. If they cannot do any better than this, then maybe this was the best that we could get.
no doubt, Wonder who michigan will end up hiring?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We will find out. I'm curious who other programs with vacant seat will end up hiring. If they cannot do any better than this, then maybe this was the best that we could get.

We won't know the true value of this hire until year 3, so lets hope it's good value.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@RobbieAndreu: Wondering now if McElwain will be coming back to Gainesville with Foley, or will he stay out there until the deal is finalized?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Feels like an ultimatum to me. We are leaving soon either get in or don't.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123495 said:
I hope it is not a better coach.

If it's Harbaugh (and it probably won't be) you can't be too upset.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Jeremy would leave if the deal wasn't done unless its a "no". And we would know that by now. And then Jeremy would still be on the road not coming to Gainesville.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So who does this guy bring for DC?
Im not entirely impressed with the defensice showing at CSU. I would hate to trade off defense for offense.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014

If Michigan gets Patterson, then I think JF failed. Now before everyone jumps all over me listen to what I am saying. "Big Mac" might be a better coach, but like I said before why are we signing the first thing we look at? I think we should pump the breaks and wait a week before we sign ANYONE. IMHO.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
note: quotes are snipped.

I actually like McElwain a bit better than Freeze, so I'm not going to go too too far overboard on this. But...

TheDouglas78;n123376 said:
(1) 3-5,3-5,5-3 as SEC records are successful? He has done well against most of the teams he should beat, Vanderbilt (annual opponent), Texas El-Paso, A bad Texas team, etc...

Barring a mid-year death, new coaches usually are hired when things are not rosy. For football, it usually takes a year or two to stabilize and recruit, so that Year Three is when you hope to see meaningful progress. By that standard, Old Miss and Hugh Freeze are exactly on-track with a strong season and some major wins this year. That makes the decision to hire him at Ole Miss, and his tenure so far, successful from my point of view.

If you want to look at record alone in determining success of a 3rd year coach, that's your prerogative.

Just for fun, here's a comparison with another so-called up-n-coming coach:

Freeze @ Ole Miss
Yr 1 - conf 3-5 (37.5%) - overall 7-6 (53.8%)
Yr 2 - conf 3-5 (37.5%) - overall 8-5 (61.5%)
Yr 3 - conf 5-3 (62.5%) - overall 9-3 (75%)

Other coach
Yr 1 - conf (31.3%) - overall (43.3%)
Yr 2 - conf (37.5%) - overall (48.3%)
Yr 3 - conf (62.5%) - overall (71.0%)

Freeze matches or betters this other coach's record in every year. The benchmark coach went on to have a pretty good (?successful) career later on at the same school, winning 71.8% of his games over 19 years, including two national championships. His name is William Donovan, better known as Billy.

Do I think Freeze will become another Billy Donovan? No, not many do. But Freeze's trajectory is similar so far. Repeat, SO FAR. Climbing to the very tippy-top is exceedingly difficult. If it were easy, all the Cavemen would be becoming coaches, and they'd all have perfect 12-0 records.

(Interestingly, applying Billy's Florida record career of 71.8% to a 12 game football season comes out at about 3.5 losses per season on average.)

But one win against Alabama and a good victory last year against LSU he is the second coming of Spurrier or Meyer to you?

I didn't say or imply anything of the kind.

Would you pay Lamborghi money for something not shown more than a Accord?

You not thinking this through in the right context. There's a 1/2 million Accords for sale, all basically identical. And a dozen other vehicle models that really aren't a great deal different, other than the marketing/brand veneer that's been applied. Normal cars are close to being a commodity. In contrast, there's only a handful of top candidates for Tier 1 college football openings. You can rationalize the "economic value" of a coach all you want. But the reality is that the market price for top openings is NOT set by a rational and totally dispassionate analysis of historic ("proven") performance, the market price is set by the MOST IRRATIONAL actor with a fat wallet.

Whether he is a top 5 available coach (which you can't prove) doesn't mean he is a top 5 coach. It just says you feel its a poor year of available coaching talent.

Just like you can't prove that Freeze is not a top 5 available coach. Ole Miss apparently thought he was an attractive prospect to others, they just bumped his salary quite a bit.

The pool of top-notch, "almost sure thing" coaches ready to move up to elite programs is small every year.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@McMurphyESPN: Colorado State’s Jim McElwain not on UF plane to Gainesville, sources told @ESPN

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n123507 said:
So who does this guy bring for DC?
Im not entirely impressed with the defensice showing at CSU. I would hate to trade off defense for offense.

Perhaps we keep a lot of our staff who are still under contract, I might even see Roper staying with more and better input. We really need a WR coach and probably a DB coach to replace Champ's direct coaching. That would save a lot of money and encourage many recruits to stay. Leak could also go back to his previous position to keep him involved. Time will tell.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
I'll be going to see Coach Mac at the Las Vegas Bowl. It'll be fun to see CSU and get a glimpse of our future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.