Foley understands the fans..... ESPN

Dec 10, 2014
GMDGATOR;n174779 said:
I agree, but that is not a long term model for success... when the fans are not involved on a personal level, they long term sustainability will change... it will take time, but it will happen. hence the pendulum swinging comment, otherwise they will be killing the golden goose....

I hope you're right. I really do. So far, it hasn't been the case in sports. Baseball is the easiest example. TV contracts allow for teams like the Marlins to give out three hundred million dollar contracts with no butts in the seats. It's awful.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174747 said:
People have no concept that SEC schools aren't attempting to hire coaches that they can kick around. It's the oddity of a message board. They want our AD to have this magical leverage over highly sought after coaches. Our AD could have leverage if they hired somebody like a Derek Dooley. If such a quality of hire was made, everybody on this board would be pissing and moaning about the strength of said hire.

Jeremy Foley is probably regarded at the best AD in the country. He made a major mistake with renewing Muschamp's contract. There is no question about it. Since then, it appears he has done everything and more to right the ship, and you have people bitching and moaning.

:deadhorse:

I think I'm in love with PatDooleySucks. Well said.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n174644 said:
Foley just needs to admit he screwed up!

What's he supposed to say? "Mushchamp sucked and it set us back."? His actions spoke to his error, but he's not going to come out publicly and bash the guy. Who would ever want to come work for someone like that?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Foley learned the lesson of extending a contract so early in to the tenure of the coach. Mac has a six year contract, no reason to touch that for at least 4 years, By then he'll have his recruits, his system installed and we'll see his product, whether he is a winner or not. Then renegotiate, not after one winning season, then again after a good season.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174747 said:
People have no concept that SEC schools aren't attempting to hire coaches that they can kick around. It's the oddity of a message board. They want our AD to have this magical leverage over highly sought after coaches. Our AD could have leverage if they hired somebody like a Derek Dooley. If such a quality of hire was made, everybody on this board would be pissing and moaning about the strength of said hire.

Jeremy Foley is probably regarded at the best AD in the country. He made a major mistake with renewing Muschamp's contract. There is no question about it. Since then, it appears he has done everything and more to right the ship, and you have people bitching and moaning.

:deadhorse:

I'm not a Foley hater nor am I asking for him to be fired. But as you said, he did screw up. A couple times. One, for extending Muschamp's contract and the other for not firing him last year after unfathomable losses and three years of excitement killing offense. We'll not get into the whole Zook thing.

And I won't get into it again other than saying we have a difference of opinion on whether we can or can't negotiate certain things in contracts. My feeling of course being that we can.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Did he screw up? Yup. Winning will quickly put it all in the rear view mirror.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
IMHO, the whole game has passed him by. He did not learn from Ron Zook and hired another defensive minded coach without experience. He's been late upgrading facilities. He screwed up Meyer's exit. He screwed up Muschamp. The guy is TRENDING DOWN.

Time for him to quietly step aside and bring in some new blood. He is an ALL-TIME great AD. That is not in doubt but he is reminding me of those legends that stay on too long.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n174839 said:
IMHO, the whole game has passed him by. He did not learn from Ron Zook and hired another defensive minded coach without experience. He's been late upgrading facilities. He screwed up Meyer's exit. He screwed up Muschamp. The guy is TRENDING DOWN.

Time for him to quietly step aside and bring in some new blood. He is an ALL-TIME great AD. That is not in doubt but he is reminding me of those legends that stay on too long.

Just who would you replace him with that would be an upgrade?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Winning puts it behind us, and as Foley points out, it is mostly a short term sting. Muschamp won't have the recruiting leverage after this year, and while it will take awhile to pay off the contract obligations, that too will fade quickly. Best salve is JMac kicking butt in all aspects, so the sting of the WM years fades quicker.

Dec 10, 2014
divits;n174813 said:
I'm not a Foley hater nor am I asking for him to be fired. But as you said, he did screw up. A couple times. One, for extending Muschamp's contract and the other for not firing him last year after unfathomable losses and three years of excitement killing offense. We'll not get into the whole Zook thing.

And I won't get into it again other than saying we have a difference of opinion on whether we can or can't negotiate certain things in contracts. My feeling of course being that we can.

I've brought this up in other posts and didn't get a lot of traction with it. Muschamp deserved to be fired last year. I actually wanted him fired after the Miami game. However, what position would you rather be in, or which coach would you rather have? Coach Mac or James Franklin or Charlie Strong? If Muschamp was fired last year, it would have been likely that Foley went after Strong. There would have been outside shot at Freeze. He would not have gone after Mac. I would prefer Mac over Strong or Franklin. That's assuming Franklin or Strong came here. What if they didn't? Last year was a bad year to be searching for a head coach. Were these Foley's reasons for not firing Chimp last year, probably not. But Foley may not have wanted to get in a coaching search while USC/Texas/Penn State were searching. Just a thought. I'd rather Mac than any of those guys, and he wouldn't be here had Chimp been canned last year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n174842 said:
Just who would you replace him with that would be an upgrade?

There is an obvious succession plan in place. He's been grooming someone I am sure. Don't take it all crazy. He wasn't going to be AD forever.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First we got Macdaddy to pony up 2 million out of his stack to help us pay his buyout from CSU. Now we're going to slip a mitigation clause in his yet unfinished contract.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n174847 said:
and as Foley points out, it is mostly a short term sting.

Short term? I laughed out LOUD!!!!!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n174851 said:
There is an obvious succession plan in place. He's been grooming someone I am sure. Don't take it all crazy. He wasn't going to be AD forever.

So replace him with one of his own cronies? :lol:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n174860 said:
So replace him with one of his own cronies? :lol:

No idea...a subordinate may have FRESH ideas. Have you ever worked in the world? Have been on both sides...I've seen new bosses(mentored by the old ones) do things completely different and be hugely successful. I've done the same.

I think it is funny that his successor is somehow going to be Jeremy Jr.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n174805 said:
I think Foley learned the lesson of extending a contract so early in to the tenure of the coach. Mac has a six year contract, no reason to touch that for at least 4 years, By then he'll have his recruits, his system installed and we'll see his product, whether he is a winner or not. Then renegotiate, not after one winning season, then again after a good season.

For recruiting purposes, if nothing else, big time football coaches contracts are almost always " rolled over" to 5 years so they can tell recruits they will be there for the recruit's entire career.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n174839 said:

Strongly disagree, while admitting that Foley is not perfect. Few are.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n174865 said:
No idea...a subordinate may have FRESH ideas. Have you ever worked in the world? Have been on both sides...I've seen new bosses(mentored by the old ones) do things completely different and be hugely successful. I've done the same.

I think it is funny that his successor is somehow going to be Jeremy Jr.

I think it's funny that you're calling for his head.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174849 said:
I've brought this up in other posts and didn't get a lot of traction with it. Muschamp deserved to be fired last year. I actually wanted him fired after the Miami game. However, what position would you rather be in, or which coach would you rather have? Coach Mac or James Franklin or Charlie Strong? If Muschamp was fired last year, it would have been likely that Foley went after Strong. There would have been outside shot at Freeze. He would not have gone after Mac. I would prefer Mac over Strong or Franklin. That's assuming Franklin or Strong came here. What if they didn't? Last year was a bad year to be searching for a head coach. Were these Foley's reasons for not firing Chimp last year, probably not. But Foley may not have wanted to get in a coaching search while USC/Texas/Penn State were searching. Just a thought. I'd rather Mac than any of those guys, and he wouldn't be here had Chimp been canned last year.

I don't disagree. What ever the case, it's water under the bridge. The best we can hope for is that we've finally hit on a guy with the right formula to pull us out of the doldrums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.