Foley understands the fans..... ESPN

C

Clayton Aldridge

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not saying Urban wasn't a great coach. That's pretty obvious. He also left us in the lurch. I never liked Urban even when he was head coach here at Florida. There was just something about a vibe I got from home that I didn't like. Yeah, Steve left, but he was honest about why he was leaving. Would we have one two more national titles with Steve? I don't know. I would find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have won just as many SEC titles. I'm sure it was Machen pulling the strings. If that's the case, please don't give Foley the credit for getting Urban. If you don't want to give him the blame for not letting Steve back, don't give him credit for Urban.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n175619 said:
This is the best evidence I have heard regarding that situation. It actually makes sense. It really makes it look like it was Machen pulling the strings not Foley.

I couldn't believe it when Machen came out to the press and said that. It was very disrespectful imo.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I give credit to Foley for hiring Urban and saying no thanks to SOS.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n175626 said:
I give credit to Foley for hiring Urban and saying no thanks to SOS.

Well I think Machen was making that decision regardless but I remember Spurrier withdrawing his name from consideration after Machen's comments to that reporter and Spurrier saying that Foley had tried to set up a meeting between the three of them prior to all of that. So it sounds like Foley had nothing against Spurrier at that point.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n175630 said:
Well I think Machen was making that decision regardless but I remember Spurrier withdrawing his name from consideration after Machen's comments to that reporter and Spurrier saying that Foley had tried to set up a meeting between the three of them prior to all of that. So it sounds like Foley had nothing against Spurrier at that point.

Oh boy, this post will really ruffle some feathers because if it was Machen pulling the strings the only hire Foley made worth a darn was Billy D almost 20 years ago.

OMG...the meltdown would be epic if it ever came out as fact. I wonder... would people think he still walked on water if Jeremy Christ was only responsible for Zook and Muschamp.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Clayton Aldridge;n175570 said:
You decided to turn your back on the man who brought you 7 SEC titles and a national title, and went for a guy with zero Florida ties. What'd that get you? Yeah, two national titles.
The bastard!

:lol:

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on the boards.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n175650 said:
Oh boy, this post will really ruffle some feathers because if it was Machen pulling the strings the only hire Foley made worth a darn was Billy D almost 20 years ago.

OMG...the meltdown would be epic if it ever came out as fact. I wonder... would people think he still walked on water if Jeremy Christ was only responsible for Zook and Muschamp.

I do believe Machen was a part of the Urban hire, just like Machen was part of the Muschamp hire (to a lesser degree). As president of the university like Florida, the flagship university in one of the high populated states in the country he has to be a part because it is the most visible representation of the school to the average person. I think Machen being from Utah was huge, and I would also say that Machen/Foley was right in making Spurrier interview for the job. This is a multi-million dollar decision, and a major advertisement/marketing for the University. It is more than Football, it is the brand.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n174664 said:
Being an AD at an SEC school is NOT all about football, however football PAYS the freight at every SEC school (sans UK). With that said and regarding football ONLY ( I repeat, football ONLY), my screen name sums up how I feel about the thread!

:butthurt:

I've been wanting to use this one!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Yep, and Spurrier MADE the brand. But this is all keyboard mstrbtion. SOS is gone, WM is gone. Mac is the guy. Foley made more than one good hire than BD. Gymnastics, Baseball, Lacrosse Tennis
track VB (she may have been here in the Dickey era). And I think he was the Meyer guy. The UAA seems to have most of the Power regarding FB and such.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n175941 said:
Yep, and Spurrier MADE the brand. But this is all keyboard mstrbtion. SOS is gone, WM is gone. Mac is the guy. Foley made more than one good hire than BD. Gymnastics, Baseball, Lacrosse Tennis
track VB (she may have been here in the Dickey era). And I think he was the Meyer guy. The UAA seems to have most of the Power regarding FB and such.

Did you figure the bolded out on your own or are you just being:
180px-Capt._Obvious.jpg

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
deuce;n175399 said:
Great Leaders can and do admit mistakes and move on. I just think Foley is wrong with his "that's just the way it is" statement.
True, he can't undo it but he can clear the air and join the "real world" again.

thats money!!:clap:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n175941 said:

Mac is the guy! The jury will be out on him until he wins and wins BIG.

Gymnastics? Women's Lacrosse? While I cheer for the Gators in all sports and hope they win... I would TRADE titles in all those sports for one in football. If Foley can't get his football hires straight he is basically worthless to us. He hired Muschamp and Muschamp drove the brand into the ground. Foley is on the hotseat no matter how many of you claim otherwise.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n176043 said:
Mac is the guy! The jury will be out on him until he wins and wins BIG.

Gymnastics? Women's Lacrosse? While I cheer for the Gators in all sports and hope they win... I would TRADE titles in all those sports for one in football. If Foley can't get his football hires straight he is basically worthless to us. He hired Muschamp and Muschamp drove the brand into the ground. Foley is on the hotseat no matter how many of you claim otherwise.

Who dafuq is us? You, Law and a few others?

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n175625 said:
I couldn't believe it when Machen came out to the press and said that
he has a knack for running his mouth, i'm not surprised

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n176055 said:
Who dafuq is us? You, Law and a few others?

Try answering the first question I asked you before running your mouth. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.