For those of you who are leaping off the Butters Train

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
We didn't show improvement off the bat last year? I know Grier had bad games and wasn't all world beater before he decided to go the Extenze route but I, and many others, felt there was a lot of improvement from the Muschump years.

So you gave him a pass with Treon but not with Applyby? I've never heard your conspiracy theory about not wanting Del Rio to have any competition but we all know he's nothing great himself. Multi-transfer reject is all I've heard about Del Rio and yet he doesn't get a pass. About the only argument I believe that Mac shouldn't get a pass about is not starting a Freshman QB. I won't judge Trask but Franks clearly doesn't seem to have much to offer. I don't follow HS football enough to really know.

Yet all everyone did was make excuses. Funny how that works. It was Meyer didn't recruit for Muschump. He left the cupboard bare. I'm a believer that Meyer won a ton with Zook's players. I certainly don't think Muschump did anything to help the current situation.

Sure, what else are they going to do? I actually think the core of this program is rotten and it might lead to Mac's firing but it might not.

So if we lose 4 this year, and are competitive, then you're ok? If we lose 2 and play shîtty you're not ok? You know we played more competitive this year against Vandy than last year? We beat them better than last year, so isn't that improvement?
On Applebee no. He had a year to find a backup and we got someone that wasn't good. In my opinion Del Rio is Mac's guy and that is who we got until he graduates. After the third time we are making the excuses don't you think concern is in order. Mac may deserve the excuses, but the previous 8 years are giving him no good will. Meyer did win with Zooks players, but he also won with his players. He took what someone else looked like crap and made it into a champion. Zook ball was never as bad as Muschamp ball though. No Muschamp didn't help our situation, but plenty of coaches have walked into disasters and made things look better quickly with good coaching. It may be rotten, but name me one good coach that doesn't change that. If he doesn't own the locker room that is on him. That is Tennesse talk. Of course I would love to win 11-12 games, but if we still show no improvement then it is just a bandaid on the problem of eaking out wins ala 2012, false hope if you will. You can do that against the big boys and no one cares, but when half your schedule are cupcakes and you can't put them away it doesn't look good. No it's not improvement that we kicked one more field goal and they scored one less point and we still looked like trash. That should have been a 30 point win with a descent team and coach. My biggest problem is that we are getting slaughtered by the good coaches on the recruiting trail. We can barely sniff enough talent to replace those muschamp "cancers" on D.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
UMass: we scored on 7 of 9 drives - we took points off one as Mac challenged the Oline to get it done. Which they should have and didn't. It was in the rain, we threw a bomb on the first play out of scrimmage. Our pass to run ratio was 44/29. People bitched that we passed the ball too much. Yeah they tended to be short but longer throws were there. How anyone says the offense is anything like Chump's is beyond me.
UK we blew out 45-7, 564 yards of offense. We scored on a 78 yard bomb. Nothing like Chump ball.
UNT 32-0 "only" 471 yards of offense. Scored on 7 of 12. Line was challenged on a 4th down and failed. LDR went down in the third (throwing a 50 yard pass). Nothing like Chump ball.
Even UT we attempted 39 passes vs 31 runs, Again not Chump Ball.
We've had more plays downfield designed to be back breakers in the first four games than we had in 4 years with Chump. How anyone compares this offense to Chump's is beyond me.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UMass: we scored on 7 of 9 drives - we took points off one as Mac challenged the Oline to get it done. Which they should have and didn't. It was in the rain, we threw a bomb on the first play out of scrimmage. Our pass to run ratio was 44/29. People *****ed that we passed the ball too much. Yeah they tended to be short but longer throws were there. How anyone says the offense is anything like Chump's is beyond me.
UK we blew out 45-7, 564 yards of offense. We scored on a 78 yard bomb. Nothing like Chump ball.
UNT 32-0 "only" 471 yards of offense. Scored on 7 of 12. Line was challenged on a 4th down and failed. LDR went down in the third (throwing a 50 yard pass). Nothing like Chump ball.
We've had more plays downfield designed to be back breakers in the first four games than we had in 4 years with Chump. How anyone compares this offense to Chump's is beyond me.
Stop it, Pumper. It's Chumpball all over. More of the same.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
UMass: we scored on 7 of 9 drives - we took points off one as Mac challenged the Oline to get it done. Which they should have and didn't. It was in the rain, we threw a bomb on the first play out of scrimmage. Our pass to run ratio was 44/29. People *****ed that we passed the ball too much. Yeah they tended to be short but longer throws were there. How anyone says the offense is anything like Chump's is beyond me.

I bet the 2014 offense is very similar to the pattern of this one. Maybe just a little more run heavy. Dink and dunk passes that worked good until we played the better teams and we even had Driskel slinging it deep but he missed them more than we have this year. We were run heavy in that no scoring battle against Tennessee however. Then like now after a few games the offensive rankings went down until we ended up 100th or whatever it was.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
:pumper:Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy / Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry / Sunshine on the water looks so lovely / Sunshine almost always makes me high

Weve sucked on offense since our QB's name was not TImmy. We will suck until all those five stars align in Gainesville. Mac is now butters and hee haw. Our rivals must love the hate being generated by our fan base............Sort of like watching Donald run for office with his "how can I shoot myself in the foot today" game plan. Fractured fan base in year two of Mac? More like compound fractures at each joint. Maybe a joint is what some need. I will be at SOS field for the first time under that name and for over the 200th time to see my favorite college football team play Saturday. I know that just makes me :pe: but I have some perspective about our gators. George Edmundson was not just some feel good caricature of a gator fan. He was real. He cared about this team. You think he only showed up when we were SOSing the SEC? fckn no. He was there with his enthusiasm since the early fifties (maybe late forties). Boys you are either for us or against us (paraphrasing a former gator). 515am is not a great time to soap box at so many angry fans but so be it.............And :law: is still my third favorite lawyer (after my first born and her husband)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would take any period from 1980 over this mess right now. Maybe the Dickey years were as frustrating but I am not old enough to remember those years. Even the pre Spurrier years we at least got to see Emmitt put on a show many games.

The Amadeeville horror offense wasnt as bad as recent years.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I bet the 2014 offense is very similar to the pattern of this one. Maybe just a little more run heavy. Dink and dunk passes that worked good until we played the better teams and we even had Driskel slinging it deep but he missed them more than we have this year. We were run heavy in that no scoring battle against Tennessee however. Then like now after a few games the offensive rankings went down until we ended up 100th or whatever it was.

You're right....and check out this comparison:

Jeff Driskel's stat line against Eastern Michigan in 2014 - a 65-0 victory:

31-45, 248 yards, 1 TD.

That's a 5.5 yard average. If that's not "dink & dunk" I don't know what is.

LDR's UMass stats:

29-44, 256 yards, 2 TDs. 5.8 yard average, a 24-7 victory.

Dink...and dunk.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Foley was saying Muschamp went 11-1 after the bowl loss. All the losers started discounting bowl games after that. It was one giant pumper fest

It was a BCS game, there is no discount for a BCS game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The pumpers say unless it's a championship it is a meaningless bowl game.

There are meaningless bowl games, but BCS and Playoff games aren't meaningless, in 2012 there was no playoffs, so the BCS had even more meaning than it does today.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Bowl games mean MORE practice time for coaches and dammit more practice time for players.........unless you are playing for something besides cheap doodadds and visits to theme parks Im doubting they givash#t

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Jim McElwain yet, but I am certainly not optimistic. I felt like this game against Vandy was a big test for how well he could get the team mentally transitioned from a tough loss into a game. The game against LSU is really big. If McElwain can't get these guys to come out and play with emotion and passion (especially the OL) then while I will be hopeful they turn it around, I will not be optimistic at all.

I think without a doubt McElwain is here next year. I think next year will be extremely difficult for this team. The offense should be better with an older more experienced OL, but if that OL doesn't show some improvement over the course of this year we will be in trouble. The defense will be very bad next year so the offense's ability to score points and hold onto the ball will be key.

We need offensive linemen who play mean. These guys are big and athletic, but they don't play mean. They don't use their strength. This is a coaching issue. Summers needs to go. I hope McElwain is already looking for the next OL hire.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are going around in circles........

After listening to many "experts" on radio and TV....... my take is that we have some talent and our schedule isn't overly hard but our Coaching is suspect. Maybe Bad would be a better word than suspect. We just seem to be emotionally flat and without any pizazz. Even a "novice" like me can see and feel the lack of "want to" on this team and that starts and ends with the Coaching. I think Foley hired a Donkey!

I will pick the Gators to win Saturday but a 20+ point loss won't surprise me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator