Franks Spring Game Video

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
giphy.gif

The OL does a nice job in pass protection this time. Once again there are receivers running open everywhere. Franks chooses to throw to Powell who is running across the field underneath the defense. The ball is thrown high, but Powell is able to bring it down without breaking stride. This is a hard play to defend when the ball is thrown quickly. Mac's offense really depends on a QB that can survey the field and make quick decisions. Franks is still showing a tendency to throw the ball high.

When Massey gets healthy, is he gonna kick Powell off the field or our we gonna use them both at once. It seems like going into last yr the sentiment was Massey was gonna take over his spot, but I hope we have them both on the field at once. We need all the speed and quickness we can get out there. Plus Powell seems sure handed.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Am I the only one that thinks he still has a bit of a wind up when he throws?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
This is what concerns me about Franks.

bf3c309adcf63abe1bed8971d7c6ca3f_crop_exact.jpg

1307259.JPG

I've seen another QB recently that turns his hand upside down like that on his windup.

blake-bortles-nfl-jacksonville-jaguars-houston-texans-590x900.jpg

Blake Bortles is another big strong athletic guy with a long windup that throws a lot of interceptions. He came into the NFL with this motion and threw 17 INTs his rookie year. He saw a throwing coach after that year and somewhat cleaned it up. His second season he threw for 4,500 yards, 35 TD's but still had 18 INTs. He admitted he didn't go back to his throwing coach after 2015 and his throwing motion was a mess last year. He ended 2016 with only 23 TD's and 16 INTs. Blake has all the talent, work ethics and ability in the world to be a top notch QB but he has to fix this throwing motion. This little "hitch" in his motion makes him routinely late and behind his receivers and gives DBs time to react.

I understand the need for a bigger windup on a deeper pass, but Blake and Felipe have the same windup even on short 10 yard passes. This will cause accuracy issues in tight windows.

Feleipe may get away with it some in college like Blake did but if he doesn't shorten that windup he'll continue to be a turnover machine.

Here's a guy thats known for a quick release. Notice the ball is up high and not upside down. This allows him to aim and shoot.

Tom-Brady-Jim-Rogash-GettyImages-494209128-940x545.jpg

He's not nearly as big and strong or athletic as Bortles or Franks but his throwing motion has served him well.

Maybe it won't hurt him as much at this level, but yeah it will be a problem in the league. But that won't be our worries then.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for this thread. There really haven't been enough threads and posts about the UF QB situation or lack thereof. As far as my eyes can see, we still have major issues.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I love Kauai. Beautiful island. Gotta love the open air airport.

Maui is my favorite island though.
You should try the big island - just huts there. :lol:
Never been to Maui - we get a really, really good deal on a condo in Princeville which makes it near impossible to choose anywhere else in Hawaii. Maybe one of these days we'll get to Maui. Time to catch our flight back to reality. :sadnanner:

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is what concerns me about Franks.

bf3c309adcf63abe1bed8971d7c6ca3f_crop_exact.jpg

1307259.JPG

I've seen another QB recently that turns his hand upside down like that on his windup.

blake-bortles-nfl-jacksonville-jaguars-houston-texans-590x900.jpg

Blake Bortles is another big strong athletic guy with a long windup that throws a lot of interceptions. He came into the NFL with this motion and threw 17 INTs his rookie year. He saw a throwing coach after that year and somewhat cleaned it up. His second season he threw for 4,500 yards, 35 TD's but still had 18 INTs. He admitted he didn't go back to his throwing coach after 2015 and his throwing motion was a mess last year. He ended 2016 with only 23 TD's and 16 INTs. Blake has all the talent, work ethics and ability in the world to be a top notch QB but he has to fix this throwing motion. This little "hitch" in his motion makes him routinely late and behind his receivers and gives DBs time to react.

I understand the need for a bigger windup on a deeper pass, but Blake and Felipe have the same windup even on short 10 yard passes. This will cause accuracy issues in tight windows.

Feleipe may get away with it some in college like Blake did but if he doesn't shorten that windup he'll continue to be a turnover machine.

Here's a guy thats known for a quick release. Notice the ball is up high and not upside down. This allows him to aim and shoot.

Tom-Brady-Jim-Rogash-GettyImages-494209128-940x545.jpg

He's not nearly as big and strong or athletic as Bortles or Franks but his throwing motion has served him well.

SOS always had his guys with the football by the ear. He would have benched Bortles and Franks for throwing like that.

I noticed Franks release looks weird but didn't see the Bortles in him...let's all hope he's smarter than Bortles.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

He does. It has been corrected a bit. At times, in high school, he looked like he was impersonating Byron Leftwich. I don't think it is a big deal in college. Tebow had a long release. So did Byron Leftwich as well as the rapist at fsu. They were good.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
It's hard to see in .gifs because they're so choppy. If you look at the first clip up there you can pick up where he drops his hand real low. Also on the 12th post you can see his hand drop upside down like that nad he is late and behind the receiver.

It's something that is correctable with work. Bortles fights it and has been going to work with Tom House during the offseason. After his second season in which he threw for all those yards and touchdowns he thought he had it corrected and so he didn't work with House after 2015. His throwing motion was terrible last year and he struggled mightly with accuracy. He said he would be back working with House this offseason.

The funny thing is guys like him and Franks could probably throw it 20 yards with a flick of their wrist. But they have tought themselves this motion and it's a hard habit to break. Franks will get away with it against lesser competition in college but the better teams will eat him up. He'll pad his stats against the creampuffs but LSU, FSU and better teams like that will pick him off.

Threads with lots of gifs can definitely get choppy on a phone. They play fine on a computer with a decent amount of memory.

You make a great point about Franks throwing motion. I went back and watched each clip full screen on my computer. It appears that it is something the coaches have been working on cleaning up. Franks will get his hand up near his ear on some throws and other times he holds it down. It doesn't appear to have a clear pattern, except he got his arm up every time he was trying to put some touch on the ball.

Clip 1 - The ball travels 5 yards past the LOS with lots of zip. His arm definitely goes down. The ball is on his hip as his arm goes backwards. The result was a good pass that was ever so slightly high.

Clip 2 - The ball travels 4 yards past the LOS with good velocity. His arm stays high and the ball is just under his shoulder as his arm goes back. The result is a good pass that hits Powell in the stomach. The pass was a little late, but I think that was Franks being hesitant to throw before he sees the receiver make the cut.

Clip 3 - The ball travels 37 yards past the LOS. His arm goes down and the ball is just above his hip as his arm goes backwards. The result is a beautiful pass that hits the receiver in stride. As you stated, it's probably more necessary to get a longer wind up when throwing deep.

Clip 4 - The ball travels 14 yards past the LOS with lots of velocity. His arm goes down and the ball is even with his hip as the arm goes backward. The result is a ball that is slightly high and behind the receiver. I think there is a chance that Franks thought the receiver was going to turn towards the pylon. If so, this may have been a catchable ball.

Clip 5 - The ball travels around 3 yards through the air with touch. His arm stays up and the ball is even with his shoulder as his arm goes backward. The result is a nicely thrown swing pass. The ball is on target and easy to catch.

Clip 6 - Sack

Clip 7 - The ball travels from one hash to the other side of the field. His arm goes down and the ball passes by the bottom of his rib cage as he winds up. The result is a dump off pass that is fairly on target, but is incomplete. The ball was chest high when it got to the receiver, but the angle made it a really tough pass to get past the defender. I think the only way this goes complete is if Franks lofts it over the receivers head.

Clip 8 - The ball travels 6 yards past the LOS with lots of zip. His arm stays up and the ball passes by his shoulder pad on the way back. The result is a completion that was just a little high, but hit the receiver in stride. As NavetG8r pointed out earlier, the pass was probably high because Franks was throwing over the Ref.

Clip 9 - The ball travels 15 yards from the LOS with good velocity. His arm stays up and the ball passes by this shoulder pad on the way back. The result is a beautiful pass. The ball hits the receiver in stride and right in the chest.

Clip 10 - The ball travels 2 yards past the LOS with touch. His arm stays up and the ball passes his shoulder pad on the way back. The result is a scrambling dump off to Callaway that is perfectly thrown.

Clip 11 - The ball travels 3 yards past the LOS. His arm stays up and the ball travels past his shoulder pad on the way back. The result is a well thrown catchable ball that is dropped. The ball was in front of the receiver and at upper chest height..

Clip 12 - The ball travels 4 yards past the LOS with good velocity. His arm drops and the ball passes just above his hip on the way back. The result is a pass that is slightly high and behind the receiver.

Clip 13 - The ball travels 2 yards past the LOS with good velocity. His arm stays up and the ball passes by his shoulder pad on the way back. The result is an incomplete pass that was thrown too hard and high.

Clip 14 - The ball travels 18 yards past the LOS with good velocity. His arm stays up for the most part and the ball travels just under his shoulder pad as it goes backwards. The result is an absolute beautifully thrown ball that hits the receiver in the chest.

Clip 15 - The ball travels 5 yards past the LOS. His arm stays up and the ball travels past his shoulder pad as it goes back. The ball would have hit the receiver in stride and in the gut if it were not for the referee standing there.

Franks arm went down during the windup on 5 of 14 passes. By my count, when his arm went down he was 2 of 5 for 45 yards (40% completion rate). When he kept his arm up he was 6 of 9 for 74 yards and a TD (67% completion rate). That is a significant difference in accuracy.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Thanks for this thread. There really haven't been enough threads and posts about the UF QB situation or lack thereof. As far as my eyes can see, we still have major issues.

We've gotta talk about something. :dunno:

Since you brought it up, you're on deck. Start a thread and wow us. It would be greatly welcomed.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016

Tag brought it up earlier in this thread. I went back and watched the film again. I already posted the results in a reply to Tag. It certainly appears to affect his accuracy.

It also looks like the coaches have been trying to get that cleaned up

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tag brought it up earlier in this thread. I went back and watched the film again. I already posted the results in a reply to Tag. It certainly appears to affect his accuracy.

It also looks like the coaches have been trying to get that cleaned up

Natural motion and slot are delicate things to mess with this late in career. Mullets had Cam Newton unable to throw it in the ocean before he left Gainesville.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks arm went down during the windup on 5 of 14 passes. By my count, when his arm went down he was 2 of 5 for 45 yards (40% completion rate). When he kept his arm up he was 6 of 9 for 74 yards and a TD (67% completion rate). That is a significant difference in accuracy.
Nice work. Thanks

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Natural motion and slot are delicate things to mess with this late in career. Mullets had Cam Newton unable to throw it in the ocean before he left Gainesville.
He also made Tebow and Dak Prescott WORSE by the year but youre right it is a problem with many QBs, not just Mullett's.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think it is a big deal in college. Tebow had a long release. So did Byron Leftwich
Yeah, maybe but it hurts a lot less if the QB w the long windup isnt playing behind a porous OL.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
When Massey gets healthy, is he gonna kick Powell off the field or our we gonna use them both at once. It seems like going into last yr the sentiment was Massey was gonna take over his spot, but I hope we have them both on the field at once. We need all the speed and quickness we can get out there. Plus Powell seems sure handed.

I hope Massey is all that he has been built up to be. If he is as good as they say then we will have an imposing WR corps this year.

Powell, Massey and Cleveland all on the field at the same time sounds fun to watch.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
We've gotta talk about something. :dunno:

Since you brought it up, you're on deck. Start a thread and wow us. It would be greatly welcomed.

Starting a thread isn't mandatory and if you choose to do so it should be something new. This isn't. Give Jim my best.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Starting a thread isn't mandatory and if you choose to do so it should be something new. This isn't. Give Jim my best.

I bust his balls all the time but this is a pretty neutral thread.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Yeah, maybe but it hurts a lot less if the QB w the long windup isnt playing behind a porous OL.

While we haven't seen it yet at UF, Franks is very athletic. If the o-line is bad, he can take off and run. Teams will have to defend that part of his game. I'm hoping the playcalling takes advantage of this part of his game, but I know they aren't that creative.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
While we haven't seen it yet at UF, Franks is very athletic. If the o-line is bad, he can take off and run. Teams will have to defend that part of his game. I'm hoping the playcalling takes advantage of this part of his game, but I know they aren't that creative.

Well wasn't Appleby suppose to be mobile? Did we really take advantage of that when he was playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.