Gators part ways with DB coach Kirk Callahan

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Lets face it, going into the season our secondary was supposed to be all world. They weren't. There were times when I wondered if they even knew how to play their position. The first emotion I had when I saw this on 24/7 was joy. Also, UF apparently owes him 325k minus any salary he makes if he gets another job.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What's wrong with Dixon? The receivers were good this year !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean Calloway had a good season? This hire was a reach by McElwain, probably because Dixon had coached in south Florida. He's never coached at a P5 school (Montana State, FIU, FAU)....and he was the RB coach at FAU when we hired him. Why didn't we hire the WR coach from a school that produces talented WRs? Why did we hire a RB coach from a minor program? Like I said, it was a reach and I hope he's on a short leash.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You mean Calloway had a good season? This hire was a reach by McElwain, probably because Dixon had coached in south Florida. He's never coached at a P5 school (Montana State, FIU, FAU)....and he was the RB coach at FAU when we hired him. Why didn't we hire the WR coach from a school that produces talented WRs? Why did we hire a RB coach from a minor program? Like I said, it was a reach and I hope he's on a short leash.

Some of that may be due to talent. There isn't a lot of WR talent on this roster outside of Callaway. Dixon at least seems to be doing a solid job in recruiting. Swain is a big get, Hammond looks to be better than everybody thought. We are in the mix for NCM, Victor, Stove and others... It should be a good WR class, so I can't complain too much about Dixon at this point.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of that may be due to talent. There isn't a lot of WR talent on this roster outside of Callaway. Dixon at least seems to be doing a solid job in recruiting. Swain is a big get, Hammond looks to be better than everybody thought. We are in the mix for NCM, Victor, Stove and others... It should be a good WR class, so I can't complain too much about Dixon at this point.
Recruiting is done by region, more than position. I'm sure he isn't the primary recruiter for all these WR's. The question is: How is he doing in S. Florida in general?

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well I thought our WR's were doing just fine until Treon took over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Recruiting is done by region, more than position. I'm sure he isn't the primary recruiter for all these WR's. The question is: How is he doing in S. Florida in general?

Actually they do recruiting by both region and position. They do this to prevent any recruit only have a relationship with one coach, so if a coach has to leave they are still covered.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So who are the potential replacement candidates?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
^This. The timing is what is more suspicious of this firing. If it was just about DB's regressing, that would have happened last week (in my opinion).

He probably sat down and looked at our 2016 DB class and said WTF?

Gatorbait_007

Jan 14, 2016
Callahan was supposedly the 2nd best recruiter on staff behind Rumph per 247 sports but has failed to deliver any talent besides Gardner this year. Jaewon Taylor one of Callahan's recruits is set to visit Georgia this week and thoughts are he is going to flip. Honestly we got him partially for Byron but he hasn't produced on or off the field the way Coach Mac envisioned.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As for Callahan, I agree with t-gator. Callahan was supposed to lock down Cowart (since he was playing for Callahan Sr.) which did not happen. I think this was an early sign that his recruiting ability was waaay overrated not to mention the fact that our DB's were worse in 2015 than 2014 with all the starters returning.

As for Dixon, cut him and McElwain some slack. Coach Mac had young Lubick set to join the staff but some a**hole let word get out and Oregon made him a bunch of promises to stay. I guess you saw last week that Oregon just named him offensive coordinator so we know what they promised to keep him.

As for Summers, I am not sure you could expect much out of him this year given what he had to work with. Assuming he stays, and who knows if he will be retained, I think we will know much more in a year.

As for Nord, lets see.......we couldn't make a kick, we couldn't block a kick, we couldn't stop anyone from blocking our kicks, we couldn't stop a fake field goal, we didn't cover punts very well, we couldn't cover kick offs very well. But other than that, I thought he did a fantastic job so I think we should keep him and offer him a big raise. Right Jeremy?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Comments from recruits regarding this:

Fulton: “It was surprising. I didn’t expect it, but it doesn’t affect anything with me and Florida.”

J. Myers: “I actually de-committed because of the relationship with me and coach Callahan. It wasn’t that strong. I could see myself still going there, but it will take a lot to do that.”

Taylor: “I realize it’s a business, so no it won’t (have an impact). I just don’t like the decision. I don’t think that was the best move.”

The Jayvaughn Myers common caught my eye. I wonder if this is the reason we are struggling with closing the deal with NCM.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Fulton: “It was surprising. I didn’t expect it, but it doesn’t affect anything with me and Florida.”

J. Myers: “I actually de-committed because of the relationship with me and coach Callahan. It wasn’t that strong. I could see myself still going there, but it will take a lot to do that.”

Taylor: “I realize it’s a business, so no it won’t (have an impact). I just don’t like the decision. I don’t think that was the best move.”

The Jayvaughn Myers common caught my eye. I wonder if this is the reason we are struggling with closing the deal with NCM.

I'd read a quote from Meyers a week or so ago where he said almost the exact same thing. That the relationship had cooled and they didn't talk much, and as a result, he decided to decommit. He then said that Callahan had started engaging him much more recently and that it helped UF get back in the picture. If that's any indication of how Callahan handled recruiting, I'm glad he's gone. We can complain all we want about kids these days and their need to be coddled. But that's what recruiting is, and if you can't/won't do it, then you simply won't be successful. It's one of the concerns I have about some of our staff coming from smaller schools. I'mnot sure they actually recruit with the same level of intensity. I think it's more a matter of accepting the leftovers and kind of being content with what you can land. The class, in some respects, mirrors that approach.

To the last part, I'm not convinced the brothers play together. If they do, I think it will be JM merely following NCM, not some joint decision. Just the impression I've gotten.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Myers' comment is pretty telling. Hopefully Mac will bring in a big upgrade. We need one since our safeties haven't learned how to cover yet, and we still need some strong talent in the secondary of this class, not just numbers.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Without a doubt the replacement will come from the sunbelt conference. Or maybe we'll go all out and hire NCM's hs coach.

Last edited:

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Seems like Coach Mac is sending another "he made a choice" educational message. And he's got Foley's agreement to spend $300k to deliver it. If any of the other coaches weren't paying full attention, they are now.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watch - they'll bring in the coach that Sam Bruce loves so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator