Gators part ways with DB coach Kirk Callahan

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I don't have a problem with this. While there is no real way to know if they regressed without access to the all-22, it did appear that way. Hopefully the next guy brought in can recruit better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was a discount hire from a geographical school. Frankly, he didn't have a resume for anything but a GA or film watcher position.

Time to upgrade at several asst coaching positions.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Lets face it, going into the season our secondary was supposed to be all world. They weren't. There were times when I wondered if they even knew how to play their position. The first emotion I had when I saw this on 24/7 was joy. Also, UF apparently owes him 325k minus any salary he makes if he gets another job.
That's right. At least one over the top every game almost. Let's get a coach and recruiter in here. And speaking...Where is Shannon's great recruits?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Don't care about Bruce, but if he can recruit south fla, I may be down with it. I am starting to think Shannon isn't up to.it.
Yeah. I thot this guy was a south Florida wet dream for recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The receivers were slightly better than under Mushdump. That's not saying anything.

He was a Big Lots hire. He doesn't even have the resume to be a Quality Control guy here. It's time to at least TRY to be elite again, not just another FIU or FAU.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The receivers were slightly better than under Mushdump. That's not saying anything.

He was a Big Lots hire. He doesn't even have the resume to be a Quality Control guy here. It's time to at least TRY to be elite again, not just another FIU or FAU.

Skipper is the RB coach...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some of that may be due to talent. There isn't a lot of WR talent on this roster outside of Callaway. Dixon at least seems to be doing a solid job in recruiting. Swain is a big get, Hammond looks to be better than everybody thought. We are in the mix for NCM, Victor, Stove and others... It should be a good WR class, so I can't complain too much about Dixon at this point.

Do you know how recruiting works? The position coach doesn't necessarily recruit all the players that play the position he coaches. They recruit a geographical area. So, we may be doing well at WR recruiting (which is questionable, considering it's one of our greatest positions of neeed and we can get a "can't miss" prospect to commit)....it doesn't necessarily mean Dixon is the one recruiting the specific player.

You can sugar coat the Dixon hire all you want, but the bottom line is he was the Running Backs coach at Florida Atlantic when we hired him to coach our WRs....and prior to FAU he coached at FIU and Montana State. Not a very impressive resume. Like I said, I hope he's on a short leash and if we don't see marked improvement this year it should be time to go another direction. The only reason I'd like to see him stay this year is for continuity....because we've had something like 7 WR coaches in the last 7 or 8 years.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Seems like Coach Mac is sending another "he made a choice" educational message. And he's got Foley's agreement to spend $300k to deliver it. If any of the other coaches weren't paying full attention, they are now.

This is the same crap that Muschamp pulled w/ his first OL coach, Verducci (I think). He interviewed for another job (that he didn't get) and Muschamp fired him. Showing that you're the boss doesn't always work.

I read on another board that Callahan was being "negative recruited by other schools" and that he and McElwain "got into it" or had an argument about recruiting.... Not sure what happened, but it's bad timing. Most staffs have been filled at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.