GCMB Poll: Rate the top UF quarterbacks

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wuerffel, not blessed with an arm or quick release, needed to begin his throwing motion extra early to get it to the streaking receiver on time. Imagine the look on Spurrier's face the first time he saw Grossman get tied up in the rush and still be able to flick the ball 35 yards downfield to the awaiting receiver. Good stuff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gawd I miss they days when we didn't act like 2 offfensive TDs was a great day and evidence of a good OC.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I don't know that would change it. Remember Wuerrfel traded time with Terry Dean and didn't win the job outright until 1995. Murray started all four years.

I'm sure Murray would tell you he'd trade the stat title for even one real championship ring.

Bulldwags probably bought their players some east "championship" rings though. :lmao2:

I'd like to look it up and see, cause you'd have the '94 SEC game and bowl game, '95 SEC game and bowl, and '96 SEC game and bowl, my buddy says the SEC champ game stats were counted, I don't know. But Murray only has 121 tds to Wuerrfel 114 and he played a ton more. Not to mention they played 11 regularl season games when Wuerrfel played and Murray played 12. I know Murray would still have him beat in yards, but I want the passing TD record back to Wuerrfel.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to look it up and see, cause you'd have the '94 SEC game and bowl game, '95 SEC game and bowl, and '96 SEC game and bowl, my buddy says the SEC champ game stats were counted, I don't know. But Murray only has 121 tds to Wuerrfel 114 and he played a ton more. Not to mention they played 11 regularl season games when Wuerrfel played and Murray played 12. I know Murray would still have him beat in yards, but I want the passing TD record back to Wuerrfel.
The championship game and bowl games weren't counted in Wuerrfel's day. And you can easily count look at the game totals to see it. 2002 was the 12 game. I'd have to do a lot of work to come when the change was made to count the CGs and bowls. Sorry, but I'm too lazy. Pretty sure it was late 90s though.

A LOT of coaches have made MILLIONS from adding that 11th and 12th game. 10-4 sounds so much better than Jim Donnan's 8-4 seasons, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The championship game and bowl games weren't counted in Wuerrfel's day. And you can easily count look at the game totals to see it. 2002 was the 12 game. I'd have to do a lot of work to come when the change was made to count the CGs and bowls. Sorry, but I'm too lazy. Pretty sure it was late 90s though.

A LOT of coaches have made MILLIONS from adding that 11th and 12th game. 10-4 sounds so much better than Jim Donnan's 8-4 seasons, doesn't it?

I remember he threw 6 TDs against Bama in the '96 SEC game, so I can assume he would end up ahead of Murray by at least 5 or more, I may try to look into it.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Tebow was the Greatest College QB ever...... So he's #1

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My football watching days start at wuerffel. So I've only seen 4 of the greats play live. This is how i rank em.
1. Tebow
2.wuerffel
3.grossman
4.leak
My favorite to watch was probably grossman. That was probably thw most prolific our passing game was that i can remember.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Leak threw the prettiest ball. I sort of feel bad his last 2 years were not the ideal situation for him. But he adjusted and never complained.

Tebow's performance in the 2008 SEC championship games was impressive coming back in the 4th quarter.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Wuerffel, not blessed with an arm or quick release, needed to begin his throwing motion extra early to get it to the streaking receiver on time. Imagine the look on Spurrier's face the first time he saw Grossman get tied up in the rush and still be able to flick the ball 35 yards downfield to the awaiting receiver. Good stuff.

That game against Maryland was unreal. It was like they were just scrimmaging against walk ons............SOS last game

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
No one cares about my opinion and these things are so subjective, but I'll play along:

1. Wuerffel
2. Tebow
3. Spurrier
4. Leak
5. Grossman

Honorable mention: Matthews and Bell

Oh and how could I forget Billy Young? :nole:

Last edited:

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I think Tebow was the Greatest College QB ever...... So he's #1
This. Not taking anything away from any of the other gator great qb's mentioned here, BUT my thing is Tebow has to be number one simply because he is talked about being the greatest college QB of all time not only by gator fans but public opinion also seems to agree with this. He put up gaudy numbers, won championships, won the Heisman, broke records, and maybe had the most competitive drive to win/ motivate his team than any other gator to ever wear the uniform. Also, he could hurt you running or passing. When you think of true grit and willing yourself to victory, Tebow comes to mind and embodies not only what a quarterback but more importantly a football player should look/act/play like. Heck, the arguement could be made that he was the best college football player ever.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This. Not taking anything away from any of the other gator great qb's mentioned here, BUT my thing is Tebow has to be number one simply because he is talked about being the greatest college QB of all time not only by gator fans but public opinion also seems to agree with this. He put up gaudy numbers, won championships, won the Heisman, broke records, and maybe had the most competitive drive to win/ motivate his team than any other gator to ever wear the uniform. Also, he could hurt you running or passing. When you think of true grit and willing yourself to victory, Tebow comes to mind and embodies not only what a quarterback but more importantly a football player should look/act/play like. Heck, the arguement could be made that he was the best college football player ever.
It is hard to disagree with it. IF he had beat bama that last time and won it again it would be hands down best ever. Maybe if he had stayed in the pros and won a lot he is considered the best. People too often use a pro career to define the whole deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.