GCMB Poll: Rate the top UF quarterbacks

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I take back what I said earlier about the release. He actually did it get it out of his hands fast -- and ALWAYS where it needed to be, when it needed to be. Receivers must've loved Wuerffel.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The famed Stop & Pop from '97 Sugar Bowl.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Three things that come to mind:

1) Tebow was even better than I remember him, esp when you consider he never had a decent QB coach.
2) How does a guy do that well against college football's best defenses week in and week out and then fall flat on his face in the NFL?
3) Did Tebow really fall flat on his face in the NFL or did his notoriety push him out?

Tebow was one of the greatest leaders I ever saw, but watch some of his college video - it takes him forever to throw a ball. Plain and simple, he was never a great passer, and that's the job in the NFL.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Great thread '78. Good memories abound. A couple of observations:

1. Just amazing how wide open receivers are in Spurrier's offense. The importance of an accurate throw was hitting guys in stride, and that is what led to so many big plays.
2. Lol'ed at Mick's call multiple times "he's all alone in quarantine!"
3. When Danny, SOS, and Tebow were together on Gameday they were asked who was the best UF QB. They all hemmed and hawed and then started calling each other, but Spurrier piped up with "Let's not forget Shane Matthews". That alone puts him in my top 5.

My top 5:
1. Tebow (Heisman, 2 NC, 2 SEC)
2. Wuerrfel (Heisman, 1 NC, 4 SEC)
3. Spurrier (Heisman)
4. Grossman (robbed of Heisman)
5. Matthews

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Will Grier was the best QB to ever play for the Mighty Gators. Don't believe me...ask Crete
I almost stayed away from this thread......almost, but I couldn't resist to see if WG made the list:lol:..........Sadly he didn't but of the ones mentioned none of them left here undefeated and certainly none of them were surrounded by such a hodge podge of pure crap to work with on offense. He may have played behind the worst CFB offensive line of all time....yes all time, my Jr. High defensive line would have dominated those worthless weaklings......Oh, and one other thing, none of the ones mentioned played for a crappy coach like Nuss/Mac.

To WG's credit there is one statistic he probably led all of the others in despite his short time here.....scoring off the field :lmao2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I almost stayed away from this thread......almost, but I couldn't resist to see if WG made the list:lol:.........
JFC. Even in the list of quitters, he's behind Brock Berlin, Scam and Brissett. Maybe even Tyler Murphy and Dipshytskel.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I liked Grier. I was the first one to have him as an avatar. The day it was announced he was taking peds, I removed it. He screwed himself. Nobody else is at fault. He did it all himself. Grier is a screw up...period. Time to erase his name from the gator books.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
geer.jpg

Will Grier was the best QB to ever play

OH that Will Grier.................Geer whatever

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Another crappy offseason poll brought to you by Mr. Bored.

My top 5.

1) Danny Wuerffel
2) Tim Tebow
3) Rex Grossman
4) Steve Spurrier
5) Chris Leak

Noticeably absent: Kerwin Bell, John Reaves
Spurrier =winner
Tebow= winner
Wuerffel= played for Spurrier ( who is a winner)
I don't care about skills those first two had more than ability they had a an unstoppable attitude of a winner. ( Urban has it too)

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is hard to disagree with it. IF he had beat bama that last time and won it again it would be hands down best ever. Maybe if he had stayed in the pros and won a lot he is considered the best. People too often use a pro career to define the whole deal.

True Coach!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I got so jacked watching this, I punched the dog.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Spurrier =winner
Tebow= winner
Wuerffel= played for Spurrier ( who is a winner)
I don't care about skills those first two had more than ability they had a an unstoppable attitude of a winner. ( Urban has it too)

And Danny didn't??? Don't get me wrong, I understand everybody has their favorite and their reasons for choosing who they want, but if you're implying that somehow Danny didn't have the unstoppable attitude of a winner you need to go back and watch highlights from when he played.

I might even argue that Danny's attitude was more steel-like than Tebiw's for the simple fact that Spurrier didn't play favorites and was in the grill of his QBs for the slightest mistake, whereas Meyer never really jumped Tebow's she-at on the sideline during a game. Danny dealt not only with opposing defenses trying to abuse him but also with his head coach berating him every week.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Danny led by example. Tim was much more demonstrative. That didn't necessarily make him a better leader, but it did make him a different leader.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
I think his notoriety pushed him out.
Sorry, but this is 100% wrong. Would Belichik care if the guy could play? Nobody in the NFL cuts a quality QB just bc he has a high Q rating. The 2 most important qualities for NFL QBs are accuracy and ability to read defenses. Timmy was just really bad at those. Great guy and the right guy to run Meyer's spread offense, esp with Percy Harvin.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Sorry, but this is 100% wrong. Would Belichik care if the guy could play? Nobody in the NFL cuts a quality QB just bc he has a high Q rating. The 2 most important qualities for NFL QBs are accuracy and ability to read defenses. Timmy was just really bad at those. Great guy and the right guy to run Meyer's spread offense, esp with Percy Harvin.

Tebow seemed to do okay when he was called upon in Denver but never really got much of s chance thereafter so I can't help but think that had something to do with his vocal beliefs and his popularity (or polarizing persona for those that didn't like him). I'm not saying the guy would have been an All-Pro but I truly believe he didn't get another legit opportunity because of who he is.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus, after watching those few video highlights... and Mac wonders why Gator Nation is a bit inpatient and not fooled by typical coach speak or smoke and mirrors :scratchchin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.