GCMB Poll: Who was our most lethal kick returner?

Pick one

• Brandon James

Votes: 48 72.7%
  • John Capel (remember me?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Carroll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andre Debose

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Percy Harvin

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Jeff Demps

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Antonio Callaway

• Lito Sheppard

• Jacquez Green

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Chris Rainey

• Total voters

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As if our 2008 team wasn't amazing enough, we had the best return man in the country. That team was absolutely sick. No weaknesses.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No, I can't pick just one but can we show some Smurph love in here....Demps shot through openings unlike any other kick returner I've ever seen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As if our 2008 team wasn't amazing enough, we had the best return man in the country. That team was absolutely sick. No weaknesses.
The only weakness was a hyperconservative offensive game plan. That was one of the best receiving corps ever, and they were hardly used.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The only weakness was a hyperconservative offensive game plan. That was one of the best receiving corps ever, and they were hardly used.
Well I mean they scored over 40 points a game that year, what else would you have them do?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Damn....we covered every spread after the Ole Miss game....what did you want?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Forward passes, actually using the WRs for something other than jet sweeps. Putting the knife in the heart of the other teams instead of pulling it out in the fourth quarter.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Forward passes, actually using the WRs for something other than jet sweeps. Putting the knife in the heart of the other teams instead of pulling it out in the fourth quarter.

Percy, Murphy, RB, TE, and Tebow.......too many weapons...unstoppable.....pick yer poison....

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So they were the best offense in UF history and you're still complaining? This is why no one takes you seriously anymore.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They werent the best offense in UF history 96 was. 01 was probably better also though without the depth at RB at RB tha 96 had.

You ran in an option offense and love you some 1950s football, some Ara and Bob Davie ball!

I don't like anything that wastes talented receivers and a talented QB with 200 yards of passing while we instead try to fruitlessly pound the middle with Kestahn, Rainey, and Demps.

I don't know that anyone has every had a better set of receivers, and most games they got 1-2 receptions each.

Add to that the painstakingly slow lemur offense that TRIED to burn 28 seconds off the clock between plays and it was just an complete under usage of incredible talent. If we'd been trying to score instead of trying to kill the clock, that loss to Ole Siss wouldn't have happened.

That was as good as it gets with Mullett ball, no doubt, but that doesn't mean it was using the talent well, no more than Sidehat used the talent he had on defense well the last two years.

I really did like the offense for the OSU game, most of 07, and the 09 Cincinnati game. It seemed like we played so much tighter whenever we were not underdogs.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You ran in an option offense and love you some 1950s football, some Ara and Bob Davie ball!

I don't like anything that wastes talented receivers and a talented QB with 200 yards of passing while we instead try to fruitlessly pound the middle with Kestahn, Rainey, and Demps.

I don't know that anyone has every had a better set of receivers, and most games they got 1-2 receptions each.

That was as good as it gets with Mullett ball, no doubt, but that doesn't mean it was using the talent well, no more than Sidehat used the talent he had on defense well the last two years.
And yet, it was the best offense we've ever had and it won a national championship. Can't argue with results. BTW, Kestahn Moore had 29 carries that year, he was buried on the depth chart. Rainey, Demps, and Moody all averaged over 7 ypc, and Harvin averaged over 9. Then you had Tebow for short yardage and goal line situations. When you get that kind of production, why do anything else? You're like the morons who complained that Tebow and Harvin got too many touches in '07. They're generational talents, they SHOULD be getting the ball. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rainey, Demps, and Moody all averaged over 7 ypc, and Harvin averaged over 9.
We've been through this before, probably a thousand times, and I know math things aren't your strong suit. But the smurfs running the ball 20 times and getting stuffed 17 then breaking a couple of long runs isn't an effective running game, even if the average is high.

Harvin was great, of course, on those rare occasions when he felt like playing and wasn't suspended.

The jury is back on Mullett and his offense and has been for a long time. He's been consistently terrible.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
AND then the mofo coach got SICK.............(you know you and I agree on this fella) It was an amazing team.......and that video for BJ proves he was the best

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Well boys, when you chunk that ball down the field three things can happen and two of them aint so good.............If you have a QB that runs like a FB with moves and kid like Percy who has jets you feed the beast............

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Add to that the painstakingly slow lemur offense that TRIED to burn 28 seconds off the clock between plays and it was just an complete under usage of incredible talent. If we'd been trying to score instead of trying to kill the clock, that loss to Ole Siss wouldn't have happened.

I really did like the offense for the OSU game, most of 07, and the 09 Cincinnati game. It seemed like we played so much tighter whenever we were not underdogs.
Correct on Mullins. The rest is somewhere in between because I'm not sure I'd really wanted to see TT throwing the ball 35-40 times a game. I will say this though lack of a true RB in 2009 plus the absence of Harvin spelled the end of the fun because 2009's offense was no fun at all....As a testament to how good the WR's and TE were in 2008 remember in the 3rd and 4th quarters of the SECCG and the NC games we threw the ball more often to take control of those games and ultimately win them. Those WR's were a lot of times responsible for TT's 3rd down conversions because teams couldn't risk stacking the line. This factor was IMO the reason TT is the best 3rd down player in CFB history....It does make me laugh though when I hear people say we would have won another NC in 2010 if Cam hadn't got kicked out....No WR's to throw the ball to and no true "carry the mail" RB would have given us similar results as we got anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well boys, when you chunk that ball down the field three things can happen and two of them aint so good............
See 1950s ball.

Such a stupid saying. When you run the ball, three things can happen, and two of them aint good.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've been through this before, probably a thousand times, and I know math things aren't your strong suit. But the smurfs running the ball 20 times and getting stuff 17 then breaking two or three long runs isn't an effective running game, even if the average is high.

Harvin was great, of course, on those rare occasions when he felt like playing and wasn't suspended.

The jury is back on Mullett and his offense and has been for a long time. He's been consistently terrible.

The offense in 2008 was unstoppable.....yer on crack....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ole Siss disagrees.

Family-of-ring-tailed-lemurs-sitting-in-grassy-field.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.