GCMB Poll: Who was our most lethal kick returner?

Pick one

• Brandon James

Votes: 48 72.7%
  • John Capel (remember me?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Carroll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andre Debose

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Percy Harvin

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Jeff Demps

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Antonio Callaway

• Lito Sheppard

• Jacquez Green

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Chris Rainey

• Total voters

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Brandon James was easily our best returner. Kid was also tough as nails. I'm not sure if he ever called for a fair catch on a punt return.

Edit: he did have a few fair catches.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Correct on Mullins. The rest is somewhere in between because I'm not sure I'd really wanted to see TT throwing the ball 35-40 times a game.
Tebow was a better college passer than we give him credit for.

He was pretty good in 07 and in the Cincy game. He probably would have been even better with a competent OC and QB coach.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
See 1950s ball.

Such a stupid saying. When you run the ball, three things can happen, and two of them aint good.
I was being sarcastic.............you're just being caustic ;)
Tebow was a better college passer than we give him credit for.

He was pretty food in 07 and in the Cincy game. He probably would have been even better with a competent OC and QB coach INT THE PROS.
fify
YOU godddm right he was..............

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The thing that stands out between the 2008 and 2001 offenses is number of weapons. The 2008 team had more of them and it shows in the disbursement of the numbers, particularly on the ground where it was running back by committee with four guys putting up over 600 yards for the season. Another thing that stands out is Tebow's 172 QB rating, slightly better than Grossman's 170, and yet if you watched the games you remember Grossman more for his passing exploits. That's because when Grossman completed a pass it was for almost double the yardage. Only the 1996 passing attack behind Wuerffel was more lethal.

Spurrier developed passers, Meyer recruited athletes.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Speaking of returns does anyone remember some of Keiwan Ratliffs interception returns? He made some opposing players look really stupid.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Maybe Callaway simply because he's a "dual threat" punt returner (dangerous to either team). He may take it to the house, but he's just as likely to muff it or kill your drive by fair catching it at your 1 yard line....

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Callaway simply because he's a "dual threat" punt returner (dangerous to either team). He may take it to the house, but he's just as likely to muff it or kill your drive by fair catching it at your 1 yard line....

:lol:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Brandon James was easily our best returner. Kid was also tough as nails. I'm not sure if he ever called for a fair catch on a punt return.

Edit: he did have a few fair catches.

I was just clicking on the thread to add something similar. James was so good about fielding punts. He very rarely called for a fair catch, he was sooooo sure handedly (I know he muffed one because I remember thinking how rare it was!) and he often took them hot off of a bounce - again, so sure handedly. When you add this to his speed, vision and ability to stop, start, shift and make people miss, he was a great one that may never be surpassed. I wonder how many of his returns were called back due to penalty. I wonder if he knows.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I voted James but he had the advantage on being on a team with a coach that actually had a clue about ST. I think Debose could have been unreal if he had been on Urbs teams and Harvin couldn't stay healthy long enough.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Debose could have been unreal if he had been on Urbs teams .
:britney:

Can't tell if this is a joke or not. Kept waiting on the punchline.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You have a good point. I keep waiting for Callaway to start tipping the ball to the one yardline instead of taking a touchback. Funny how he sometimes has a gunners mentality as a returner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator