Give Mac time

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Very possible, but I choose to believe that by next year they will have grown into solid QBs.

Nuss made me a little nervous talking about how Trask picks things up quickly. I think that may have been code words that Franks is still struggling with the game upstairs. I really hope he isnt another Driskel because he has all the physical tools.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Nuss made me a little nervous talking about how Trask picks things up quickly. I think that may have been code words that Franks is still struggling with the game upstairs. I really hope he isnt another Driskel because he has all the physical tools.
Driskel at least had some wheels...Franks doesn't! Btw....I'm not putting any hope into any QB Les Miles targeted and had committed.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Franks or Trask can be elite, and we get 1-2 more good/elite recruiters, our recruiting will go back to what were used to seeing.

We're phaqued.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

We all know Trask is a future Heisma winner and NFL hall of fame QB. It's not fair to compare Franks to him :-)

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not really comfortable with any QB we have on the team now. We know that Nuss is a huge part of the problem. But if you're struggling that bad and you don't go to the bench regardless of the RS, that's a bad sign to me.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I'm not really comfortable with any QB we have on the team now. We know that Nuss is a huge part of the problem. But if you're struggling that bad and you don't go to the bench regardless of the RS, that's a bad sign to me.

The original plan was the redshirt the two freshmen. Just like these coaches can't make adjustments within a game, they can't make adjustments within a season and burn the redshirt.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The original plan was the redshirt the two freshmen. Just like these coaches can't make adjustments within a game, they can't make adjustments within a season and burn the redshirt.

Absolutely, bad sign. Either they cannot make a decision or they're letting the player do it. Maybe both.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To me, the Dabo comparison is spot on.
It's a terrible comparison. Landing top classes at Clemson is unbelievable. It's never happened before. It's a small state with no talent so has to go steal each and every recruit. Dabo runs a wide open offense and lured 5 star game changers like CJ Spiller, Sammy Watkins, Mike Bellamy, Artavis Scott, Ray Ray McCloud FROM FLORIDA because our own archaic offense was too much for them to stomach. He isn't just the best coach of the last decade there, he is the best coach ever.

Mac is in the most talent rich state in the union and he can't scratch the top 10 WITH OUR OWN IN STATE RECRUITS in year 3. Even with home field advantage he gets table scraps from the bluechippers in Florida and has never seen a true game changing player sign with him. He isn't just the worst recruiting coach Florida for the last decade, he is the worst since they started ranking classes. With his 1950s offense, he probably never will attract blue chip talent and win the games that matter because of the difference makers.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I wasn't clear. The talent is there except at QB.
That's really not true. We aren't particularly talented at OL, though we are better than we were no doubt. We don't have bodies at DT or LB, talented or untalented.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's a terrible comparison. Landing top classes at Clemson is unbelievable. It's never happened before. It's a small state with no talent so has to go steal each and every recruit. Dabo runs a wide open offense and lured 5 star game changers like CJ Spiller, Sammy Watkins, Mike Bellamy, Artavis Scott, Ray Ray McCloud FROM FLORIDA because our own archaic offense was too much for them to stomach. He isn't just the best coach of the last decade there, he is the best coach ever.

Mac is in the most talent rich states in the union and he can't scratch the top 10 WITH OUR OWN RECRUITS in year 3. Even with home field advantage he gets table scraps from the bluechippers in Florida and has never seen a true game changing player sign with him. He isn't just the worst recruiting coach Florida for the last decade, he is the worst since they started ranking classes. With his 1950s offense, he probably never will attract blue chip talent and win the games that matter because of the difference makers.
So you're saying we should hire Dabo.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's 10 years older than Dabo but don't worry. He'll grow into a dabo swinney type coach one day.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That's really not true. We aren't particularly talented at OL, though we are better than we were no doubt. We don't have bodies at DT or LB, talented or untalented.

The Donk's right. Even our first string could never win against a decent team, certainly never win when we
are underdogs -- like our walk-ons and 3rd stringers could never beat the favored Iowa.??

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014

Well, counselor, let's not gloss over the fact that Dabo is now in his NINTH YEAR at Clemson.

To my mind, a comparison of Mac vs Dabo after TWO years is a reasonable comparison. But you could also say How bout UM after 2 at Florida, or Harbaugh after 2 at Michigan, and most every coach looks bad in comparison to them.

I'm not going to spend the time to try to pull up any info on Clemson's recruiting prowess in his early years, but I'm going to assume that as the talent level improved, so did Clemson's record. After 9 years, it's now at a very high level, on both sides of the ball. But it wasn't that way in the early years.

BTW, in Year 3 Dabo went 6-7. Nevertheless, he was allowed to keep trying.

I'm not saying that Mac is clearly on track to be successful here. I'm just saying it's a "fairly debatable" point as to whether he is definitely off-track after two years. There's some ambiguity about the evidence.

(And depending on one's sentiments, each of us as members of the non-voting peanut gallery may or may not think it's appropriate to grade him on a bit of curve, due to the roster he inherited, the Will Grier situation, and/or this year's injuries.)

We'd for sure all feel a lot more optimistic if we can land a couple more 4* or 5* DTs and LBs on NSD.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I was talking about the offense specifically. I think there is talent on the OL. I don't think it is dominate, but it is good enough for the offense to be effective.... especially as these guys mature. If Sharp comes back (like he should) then we should have a really solid starting 5 next year. Ivey has been playing much better. Taylor played really really well for a TF. It seems like Johnson is more solid at guard then he was at tackle. McCoy has done well at center and if you add Jordan who was just a sophomore and Dillard I think we have a solid OL. I'm not saying they are Bama good, but they will be able to give the QB time and provide some lanes for good RBs.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014

Mac is in the most talent rich state in the union and he can't scratch the top 10 WITH OUR OWN IN STATE RECRUITS in year 3. Even with home field advantage he gets table scraps from the bluechippers in Florida and has never seen a true game changing player sign with him. He isn't just the worst recruiting coach Florida for the last decade, he is the worst since they started ranking classes. With his 1950s offense, he probably never will attract blue chip talent and win the games that matter because of the difference makers.

Our offense wasn't archaic when spiller and Watkins ditched us.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The only reason he had a top 10 class was because it had 31 players, but 20 of those were 2 and 3 stars. That obviously means he can't recruit.
You're an absolute master at spin, I tip my hat but it still doesn't fool me.

Riddle me this. The last 2 classes you posted you said he had 18 threes and a couple twos in each... but one was ranked outside the top 25 while the other was ranked 10. That's all the info you provide... you intentionally leave out the part where the rest of the class was 4/5 stars and falsely claim that it was 10 just because of overall quantity. False, if it was just quantity then it would have been ranked 10 with more of the same 2/3 stars... but that's just not true.

Tell mac I said hello.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.