Give Mac time

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
You do know they gave Bama the same amount of time to prepare. So their defense got a month to prepare so this comparison means nothing. 54-16 in an SEC championship game is nothing to gloat about but would look great on a Wikipedia's page.... Bama's.

yeah okay. I'm not sure you're adding much value here.

Given a month OR a week to prepare, Alabama is very very good. Is there anyone who could disagree with that?

And we're not at that level ... just like most everybody else isn't ... and we're not going to get to that level tomorrow. Is there anyone who could disagree with that?

I suspect there's two or three other SEC East team's coaches who are secretly very very relieved they didn't earn the honor of playing against Alabama in the SEC championship game.

To me, the Dabo comparison is spot on. He's grown Clemson into a force. (We'll see if they can top Alabama in a Best-of-One series.) But if his A.D. had "weighed the evidence" of team record and recruiting class rank two or even three years into Dabo's tenure, he'd have been kicked out and Clemson would have started over.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
yeah okay. I'm not sure you're adding much value here.

Given a month OR a week to prepare, Alabama is very very good. Is there anyone who could disagree with that?

And we're not at that level ... just like most everybody else isn't ... and we're not going to get to that level tomorrow. Is there anyone who could disagree with that?

I suspect there's two or three other SEC East team's coaches who are secretly very very relieved they didn't earn the honor of playing against Alabama in the SEC championship game.

To me, the Dabo comparison is spot on. He's grown Clemson into a force. (We'll see if they can top Alabama in a Best-of-One series.) But if his A.D. had "weighed the evidence" of team record and recruiting class rank two or even three years into Dabo's tenure, he'd have been kicked out and Clemson would have started over.

A 10th ranked recruiting class at an ACC school that isn't FSU or Miami would likely get a 4th year from most people and they just needed a little more offense to move way up.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
Fun fact. Dabo has never had a top 5 class at Clemson. And only has cracked the top 10 twice since 2008.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've noticed a few people say that they believe the offense will improve once their is a good QB. I agree with this, and I expect that the offense will improve some next season. The problem is that Mac has done such a poor job recruiting defense, that the improved offense won't matter. He needs to pull out a recruiting miracle these next two months if this team is going to have the talent to compete defensively in the near future.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I plan to give Mac the same amount of time our new AD gives him. It's not like I have any other choice.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Dabo's 2012, '13 and '14 classes ranked in the mid teens but he got a QB and almost beat 'bama in the 2015 NC game. And he's going back this year. The dude was laughing stock his first three years. But has won 10, 11, 11, 10, 14, 13 since. What does that mean for us? Probably nothing.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo's 2012, '13 and '14 classes ranked in the mid teens but he got a QB and almost beat 'bama in the 2015 NC game. And he's going back this year. The dude was laughing stock his first three years. But has won 10, 11, 11, 10, 14, 13 since. What does that mean for us? Probably nothing.

Yeah it's nice what elite an QB can do for a team. Our terrible QB play since Tebow has been frustrating for sure. If Franks or Trask can be elite, and we get 1-2 more good/elite recruiters, our recruiting will go back to what were used to seeing.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Dabo was hired to be the head coach at Clemson after head coach Tommy Bowden resigned 6 games into the season.

2008 4-3 (partial season) incoming recruiting class ranked 31 - 15 total players signed, eight 3 stars, two 2 stars
2009 9-5 incoming recruiting class ranked 28 - 24 total players signed, 18 three stars, three 2 stars
2010 6-7 incoming recruiting class ranked 10 - 31 total players signed, 18 three stars, four 2 stars

I think it's fair to say most on this board would have been calling Dabo an utter disaster in year 3. In 2010 he had already had two and a half seasons to fix things and he posted a 6-7 record. That obviously means he can't coach. The only reason he had a top 10 class was because it had 31 players, but 20 of those were 2 and 3 stars. That obviously means he can't recruit.

They definitely should have fired Dabo in 2010.
Dabo Swinney was a 1st time HC at Clemson so just like most 1st time HC he had to get acclimated to the job. And yes he would have been given a 4th year just like Muschamp if hired at UF because he was a 1st time HC. He turned out to be a great hire for Clemson. Mac on the other hand is not a 1st time HC so he should need the time.

I think anytime you go after a coach from a small conference that coach should have done something special, maybe go undefeated, beat a few top 10 teams while at said school, make it to one of the big bowl games and win. Mac did none of that while at CSU he never even won his division. I really don't see what Foley seen in Mac when he hired him but the hand has been dealt so we have to finish it so we can get rid of him and move on.

Gatorbait_007

Jan 14, 2016
Fun fact. Dabo has never had a top 5 class at Clemson. And only has cracked the top 10 twice since 2008.

He finished 4th in one year depending on the site you look at. But you need to look at how he recruits against his main competition ACC teams. The last 5 years he has finished 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd in the ACC in recruiting behind FSU every year and Miami once. Florida in the same period ranking just SEC teams in 8th, 6th, 10th, 5th and 2nd.

Clemson has finished in the low teens with one 4th and one 8th the last 5 years but if you look at the reason it is almost every year due to numbers of recruits taken. They take 21-23ish and the other teams take 24-30ish if they added one or 2 more people each year they rank higher in fact 2015 they finished 4th and that coincided with them taking the most recruits they had in the last 5 years at 26. Crap this year they are 12th with only 13 commits the next fewest that is ranked ahead of them has 17 and they will finish with the #1 QB two years in the row if the commitment next year sticks.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If you haven't realized mac's not the guy by now then you never will.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Some truths :
Yes, I'd gladly trade Mac for Dabo.
The only way to "make" Dabo come here would be to force Clemson to take LDR & Appleby as their only
playable QBs.
Does anyone think QB Watson could turn around our offense throwing behind our 2-seconds allowed OL?
The core move has to be getting top-notch athletes at all positions and that means out-recruiting lots of teams.
It's a catch 22 in that we have to win games (FSU), with some excitement, in order to win at recruiting. We have
to win at recruiting to be able to win important games.??

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Some truths :
Yes, I'd gladly trade Mac for Dabo.
The only way to "make" Dabo come here would be to force Clemson to take LDR & Appleby as their only
playable QBs.
Does anyone think QB Watson could turn around our offense throwing behind our 2-seconds allowed OL?
The core move has to be getting top-notch athletes at all positions and that means out-recruiting lots of teams.
It's a catch 22 in that we have to win games (FSU), with some excitement, in order to win at recruiting. We have
to win at recruiting to be able to win important games.??
The Dwags looked like crap and are recruiting lights out...for the second year in a row. Either you can recruit or you can't. Mac and Co. can't.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah because I'm sure you have all the answers. Fine fire the guy. Who are we hiring right now?
It doesnt take a genius to see where this is headed under mac.The guy should be fired after next year. Ask me in October who we should hire. I think there might be a decent pool of coaches to choose from this go round.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If either one of those freshmen were any good they would have played and we wouldn't be recruiting another career back up grad transfer.

Very possible, but I choose to believe that by next year they will have grown into solid QBs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.