Give Mac time

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Hope, but I'm not anxious to go from one mediocre coach to another mediocre coach.
If you can admit that Mac is mediocre then we need to move on. You don't know the next guy will be mediocre but we know Mac is...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Boy, Clemson looked great against OSU. Did any experts expect that?
Does that mean the Clemson offense will give the Bama defense a scare?
Interesting.?

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Dabo has shown 2 very important qualities that Mac has not: 1. Ability to recruit elite talent, 2. Hire a very competent coaching staff that has shown an ability to develop players.

Until Mac shows a glimmer of being able to do either of those, he SOL with me. Especially with #1. There's literally NO EXCUSE that THE flagship university, of the most talent-rich state in the country, should be struggling so badly on the recruiting trail.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Dabo has shown 2 very important qualities that Mac has not: 1. Ability to recruit elite talent, 2. Hire a very competent coaching staff that has shown an ability to develop players.

Until Mac shows a glimmer of being able to do either of those, he SOL with me. Especially with #1. There's literally NO EXCUSE that THE flagship university, of the most talent-rich state in the country, should be struggling so badly on the recruiting trail.
Unfortunately he doesn't believe he's struggling

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Mac only had marginal success in the Mountain West. I don't know why anybody would him expect him to be a dominant coach in the SEC. Sorry, but I spent all my "be patient" chips with the previous wannabe coach.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Dabo was hired to be the head coach at Clemson after head coach Tommy Bowden resigned 6 games into the season.

2008 4-3 (partial season) incoming recruiting class ranked 31 - 15 total players signed, eight 3 stars, two 2 stars
2009 9-5 incoming recruiting class ranked 28 - 24 total players signed, 18 three stars, three 2 stars
2010 6-7 incoming recruiting class ranked 10 - 31 total players signed, 18 three stars, four 2 stars

I think it's fair to say most on this board would have been calling Dabo an utter disaster in year 3. In 2010 he had already had two and a half seasons to fix things and he posted a 6-7 record. That obviously means he can't coach. The only reason he had a top 10 class was because it had 31 players, but 20 of those were 2 and 3 stars. That obviously means he can't recruit.

They definitely should have fired Dabo in 2010.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo was hired to be the head coach at Clemson after head coach Tommy Bowden resigned 6 games into the season.

2008 4-3 (partial season) incoming recruiting class ranked 31 - 15 total players signed, eight 3 stars, two 2 stars
2009 9-5 incoming recruiting class ranked 28 - 24 total players signed, 18 three stars, three 2 stars
2010 6-7 incoming recruiting class ranked 10 - 31 total players signed, 18 three stars, four 2 stars

I think it's fair to say most on this board would have been calling Dabo an utter disaster in year 3. In 2010 he had already had two and a half seasons to fix things and he posted a 6-7 record. That obviously means he can't coach. The only reason he had a top 10 class was because it had 31 players, but 20 of those were 2 and 3 stars. That obviously means he can't recruit.

Total B.S. and I'm a negator. He would've gotten a third full year. He went 10-4 that year. You're a plant by the UAA or Mac's wife. Either way you are transparent.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014

Pump away, and btw it was a different Clemson back then as far as expectations, they hadn't been on an elite level in a loooooong time, but that's where we r now, low expectations and hope we can accidentally be relevant again

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think one of the freshman will be good. Not sure if they will be great, but will be better than anything we have had for a while
If either one of those freshmen were any good they would have played and we wouldn't be recruiting another career back up grad transfer.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This is sooooooooooo true

Maybe. Maybe not. I dont think Mac had any intention to burn a red shirt on a QB this year. That being said, I dont agree with his decision. Its possible both freshman are better than LDR or Applebutter.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
We averaged I think less than 1 yard a carry against Bama. We were outmatched big time in that game.

Maybe you didn't notice, but the #4 team in the land played against Alabama yesterday, after a month to prepare. Washington scored a total of 7 points and was thoroughly outmatched.

We played Alabama a week after FSU, with a re-tread QB and a severely depleted defense due to injuries. We were overmatched too, but the offense did SOME good things ... scored on an impressive opening drive, and had another TD later.

Alabama's not invincible, but they are a level above most everybody else at the moment. They didn't get to that level overnight, and we're not going to get to that level overnight either. That's either with Mac, or if we start over with another coach, who would inherently arrive with no guarantees.

For 2017, I wish all Gator fans a double dose of patience and equanimity ... we're going to need them. On second thoughts, maybe a triple dose.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Maybe. Maybe not. I dont think Mac had any intention to burn a red shirt on a QB this year. That being said, I dont agree with his decision. Its possible both freshman are better than LDR or Applebutter.
I get it, his decision basically bought him a 4th yr, the excuse train next year will be freshman QB, therefore it warrants at least another year, good way to assure employment for a while, as the low standard crowd cries for patience

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Up before last year most were laughing at him,............I liked him from the get go.........but to be hones his name is really cool...............

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I really hope Mac can figure it out. What I am afraid of is firing Mac and not having the right guy replace him. We have suffered 7 years of this crap. There has to be someone who can turn this ship around. I watched Fisher go for a few years with the fan base calling for his head and he finally got it figured out. At this point I wish Mac would replace several on staff and make some home run hires. Problem is, who will come here knowing it might be for one year? This is screwed up for sure. I just dont think you fire Mac before having your ace in the hole.

Gatorbait_007

Jan 14, 2016
Maybe you didn't notice, but the #4 team in the land played against Alabama yesterday, after a month to prepare. Washington scored a total of 7 points and was thoroughly outmatched .

You do know they gave Bama the same amount of time to prepare. So their defense got a month to prepare so this comparison means nothing. 54-16 in an SEC championship game is nothing to gloat about but would look great on a Wikipedia's page.... Bama's.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Total B.S. and I'm a negator. He would've gotten a third full year. He went 10-4 that year. You're a plant by the UAA or Mac's wife. Either way you are transparent.

I never said he would have been fired in 2010. I said "I think it's fair to say most on this board would have been calling Dabo an utter disaster in year 3." Then I sarcastically added "They definitely should have fired Dabo in 2010."

There is no way the negators on this board would have supported a coach coming off a 6-7 season that was pulling in 20th ranked classes full of 3 and 2 stars. It's simply the truth.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
You do know they gave Bama the same amount of time to prepare. So their defense got a month to prepare so this comparison means nothing. 54-16 in an SEC championship game is nothing to gloat about but would look great on a Wikipedia's page.... Bama's.
Boom

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.