Greatest Catch in UF History

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Doering's was the gamewinner for the first official SEC, but we won the SEC unofficially the year before and in '84 (before we were stripped).

Shane Matthews won our first official SEC Title in '91. Danny to Doering was '93, I think.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Jabar Gaffney vs. Tennessee. :grin:

Tennessee fans always act like it was 4th down with :01 left on the clock.

It was second and goal with 14 seconds to go. If it was ruled incomplete, Florida would have had another shot at the endzone before trying a game-tying field goal (or going for it on 4th for the win).

Suck it Vols.

Alex.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
I'm still partial to Reaves to Alvarez against Houston in 1969. After Spurrier left the offense was, well, offensive.
The last thing we expected was an offense we could only dream about. That set the tone for the rest of the game
and most of the season.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Shane Matthews won our first official SEC Title in '91. Danny to Doering was '93, I think.

You're right. We sealed the deal against UK in 1991 (which was harder fought than expected but not like the '93 game).

I confused those two games.

Well, "Doering's got a TD" loses some luster. I remember now. We played terrible. Spurrier benched the QB, both threw a ton of INTs, but at the end, it looked like we were hoping to salvage a tie with a field goal when Wuerffel hit Doering for the TD.

My bad.

Alex.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And it was the first SEC game of the season so it wasn't for the SEC Title.
I count '84 as our first SEC title because I have the coke bottles that say it. :tongue:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You're right. We sealed the deal against UK in 1991 (which was harder fought than expected but not like the '93 game).

I confused those two games.

Well, "Doering's got a TD" loses some luster. I remember now. We played terrible. Spurrier benched the QB, both threw a ton of INTs, but at the end, it looked like we were hoping to salvage a tie with a field goal when Wuerffel hit Doering for the TD.

My bad.

Alex.
You might be thinking of '84. The Kentucky win sealed the deal. (we waited in the stadium for the team plane to come back from KY). In 91 a loss to Ky would've put us in a tie with Bama but since we beat them head to head we still would've won it. I think.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still partial to Reaves to Alvarez against Houston in 1969. After Spurrier left the offense was, well, offensive.
The last thing we expected was an offense we could only dream about. That set the tone for the rest of the game
and most of the season.

Good one! I'll edit my original post to include it.

Alex.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Tennessee fans always act like it was 4th down with :01 left on the clock.

It was second and goal with 14 seconds to go. If it was ruled incomplete, Florida would have had another shot at the endzone before trying a game-tying field goal (or going for it on 4th for the win).

Suck it Vols.

Alex.

Was at that game. Fun walk back

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In terms of degree of difficulty, play #5 from this reel.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Doering because of the importance, time expiring, distance (not 63 yards, but I'm pretty sure Danny couldn't throw it more than 45) and had he not caught it, we would have lost the game.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You might be thinking of '84. The Kentucky win sealed the deal. (we waited in the stadium for the team plane to come back from KY). In 91 a loss to Ky would've put us in a tie with Bama but since we beat them head to head we still would've won it. I think.

I remember reading that week that a loss to ky would've made us share the title with bama, despite the 30 pt head to head win. I was ticked. How do you share a title with someone you beat? Fortunately, the Gators took care of business and left no question who was the champ!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I remember reading that week that a loss to ky would've made us share the title with bama, despite the 30 pt head to head win. I was ticked. How do you share a title with someone you beat? Fortunately, the Gators took care of business and left no question who was the champ!
I don't remember the discussion that year. But it being 'bama they probably would have just claimed the championship.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Collinsworth to Gaffney for 99 yards....

I vote Bell to Nattiel, after having our ass whipped again and again by UGA, and our heart ripped out by Scott, having that play going the same direction in the Gator Bowl seemed like an exorcism of Run Lindsey Run....

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
In terms of degree of difficulty, play #5 from this reel.

I thought I was gonna be the one to remember this amazing guy. I can think of 4-5 catches Wes made that were amazing and his YACs were incredibile. And he never had a decent QB to throw him the ball. Had a great pro career.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tim Tebow jump pass to David Nelson to SEAL the National Title vs Okrahoma 24-14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator