Greatest Catch in UF History

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Doering's got a TD for me cause it was SO improbable of a game to win. I remember we had bought it on PPV cause it wasn't being shown locally and we were like what a waste of money cause we had thrown 7 INTS in the game. What a moment and what a crazy game to pull off at the end.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
75348-5574753Fr.jpg

Honorable Mention: Richard Trapp's 52 yard catch and run in the 1967 Georgia game.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have "selective" or "elective" memory. What year did James Jones make the "catch"??
1982 - Florida 17, Miami 14. Behind Peace, the Gators drove 61 yards in six plays, capped by fullback James Jones' leaping, one-handed, 17-yard touchdown to give UF what Pell called, “one of the greatest, most rewarding wins we've had in the history of Florida football.”

http://floridagators.com/news/2013/9/5/26170.aspx
the good ole Gator vs 'canes rivalry back in the day

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with Cleveland. It is the only play that was a "walk off." No extra point, no kickoff to follow.......just BALLGAME!
Yallateef doesn't get the credit he's due. Without his uncanny clock management skills, there would be no walk off.

Greatest catch for me was the James Jones catch. I was sitting in the same corner down low very close to the goal line. I had an clear view of the play and I seem to remember Jones leaping and falling down across the goal line with his arrn stretched backwards rather than falling at the back of the endzone. In those days the Canes were huge rivals.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I like to see the offense get the walk off instead of a kicker for once. Doesn't happen very often.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Yallateef doesn't get the credit he's due. Without his uncanny clock management skills, there would be no walk off.

Greatest catch for me was the James Jones catch. I was sitting in the same corner down low very close to the goal line. I had an clear view of the play and I seem to remember Jones leaping and falling down across the goal line with his arrn stretched backwards rather than falling at the back of the endzone. In those days the Canes were huge rivals.

You remember correctly! JJ fell on the front pylon as he reeled in the catch. I recall some debate if JJ was in bounds. I think back then hitting the pylon wasn't an automatic TD.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
What a great thread and great question. It is definitely hard to pick just one (or two, or three) as we've had several amazing pass plays over the years. Being at the '97 FSU game and the '15 Tennessee games, those plays just seem bit more special to me. But then again Ike's play in the 96 NC game might be my vote for "best" and "Doering's got a touchdown" may be my favorite. I guess we should be thankful for a lot of great Gator memories!

Go Gators!!!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You remember correctly! JJ fell on the front pylon as he reeled in the catch. I recall some debate if JJ was in bounds. I think back then hitting the pylon wasn't an automatic TD.
I remember the debate being that he was down before he crossed the goal line. He kinda crab walked on his back into the end zone. No replay back then. But it was a long time ago so it could've been the pylon thing. Maybe combination of both. I would love to find video of the play.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
I remember Jack Jackson making some impossibly impressive diving catches for huge gains, but none of them with the importance of some of the catches already mentioned.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I read somewhere that Franks-Cleveland was UF's only pass for a touchdown to win the game with no time remaining.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This one makes me smile ...

giphy.gif
I started to mention that play but couldn't remember the receiver's name. . What a great one that was, with Toothless arguing in vain that he never had possession of the ball

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I started to mention that play but couldn't remember the receiver's name. . What a great one that was, with Toothless arguing in vain that he never had possession of the ball

Definitely the highlight of Jesse James Palmer's career.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator