Greatest Catch in UF History

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I remember the debate being that he was down before he crossed the goal line. He kinda crab walked on his back into the end zone. No replay back then. But it was a long time ago so it could've been the pylon thing. Maybe combination of both. I would love to find video of the play.

I was at the other end of the field, but looking straight down the east sideline. I didn't see any crab walking. He backpedaled a couple of steps as he caught the ball and fell on the pylon. I think the main argument (by scUm fans) was the ball may have been out of bounds as he hit the pylon. He reached back and inside with his right hand, so I don't think they had a legit argument.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely the highlight of Jesse James Palmer's career.

Alex.

You're just mad he didn't give you a rose:

293.bachelor.ls.31212.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I was at the other end of the field, but looking straight down the east sideline. I didn't see any crab walking. He backpedaled a couple of steps as he caught the ball and fell on the pylon. I think the main argument (by scUm fans) was the ball may have been out of bounds as he hit the pylon. He reached back and inside with his right hand, so I don't think they had a legit argument.
We really need the video. Interesting how we remember it from different vantage points. I was in the east stands on about the 10 yard line. The way my faulty memory remembers it is that he came down backwards and with his free hand breaking his fall he scooted back into the end zone and they bitched that his knee or ass hit the ground.

Here's an article: https://www.si.com/vault/1982/09/13/624715/see-ya-later-gators

With less than two minutes left, Offensive Coordinator Mike Shanahan called for a 32 naked pass right, a pass-run option for the quarterback. It was the same play Peace had scored on, but the Hurricanes had since shut it off several times. "I was kind of nervous about it," said Peace. "The tackle shot out and cut off my running lane. I looked to the tight end first and he was covered." Jones ran to where he was supposed to be—seven yards downfield toward the right sideline. But when he saw Peace looking elsewhere, he drifted back. In truth, he said, he had no idea where he was. Besides, he was playing without his contact lenses and everything was a little blurry. And, oh yes, he was suffering from the heat. And the pass was wobbly and high.

Jones was backpedaling and stumbling toward the right foam pylon that marks the goal line when he saw the shape of the ball coming. He jumped, and as he fell he threw his arms upward. He felt the flat part of the ball strike the palm of his right hand, so he reflexively pulled the arm in as he went down on his back, dragging both feet along the sideline. His teammates piled on top of him in a delirium of joy. "I looked up through the bodies and saw the referee put his hands up, and I thought, 'Oh, I must have scored a touchdown.' " Pell called the catch a "Willie Mays deluxe."

No one, except the officials, could figure how Jones scored, because he appeared to be down before his momentum carried him across the goal line. That's something the Hurricanes will mull over while they try to figure out how to win the national championship with no better than a 10-1 record—"Our goal hasn't changed," said Schnellenberger—and how to win the Florida game next year, if there is a Florida game next year.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We really need the video. Interesting how we remember it from different vantage points. I was in the east stands on about the 10 yard line. The way my faulty memory remembers it is that he came down backwards and with his free hand breaking his fall he scooted back into the end zone and they *****ed that his knee or ass hit the ground.

Here's an article: https://www.si.com/vault/1982/09/13/624715/see-ya-later-gators

With less than two minutes left, Offensive Coordinator Mike Shanahan called for a 32 naked pass right, a pass-run option for the quarterback. It was the same play Peace had scored on, but the Hurricanes had since shut it off several times. "I was kind of nervous about it," said Peace. "The tackle shot out and cut off my running lane. I looked to the tight end first and he was covered." Jones ran to where he was supposed to be—seven yards downfield toward the right sideline. But when he saw Peace looking elsewhere, he drifted back. In truth, he said, he had no idea where he was. Besides, he was playing without his contact lenses and everything was a little blurry. And, oh yes, he was suffering from the heat. And the pass was wobbly and high.

Jones was backpedaling and stumbling toward the right foam pylon that marks the goal line when he saw the shape of the ball coming. He jumped, and as he fell he threw his arms upward. He felt the flat part of the ball strike the palm of his right hand, so he reflexively pulled the arm in after he went down on his back, dragging both feet along the sideline. His teammates piled on top of him in a delirium of joy. "I looked up through the bodies and saw the referee put his hands up, and I thought, 'Oh, I must have scored a touchdown.' " Pell called the catch a "Willie Mays deluxe."

No one, except the officials, could figure how Jones scored, because he appeared to be down before his momentum carried him across the goal line. That's something the Hurricanes will mull over while they try to figure out how to win the national championship with no better than a 10-1 record—"Our goal hasn't changed," said Schnellenberger—and how to win the Florida game next year, if there is a Florida game next year.
FIFY

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The Catch. Younger Gators have no idea just how hated Miami was (and is, for us old guys).
My first (Edit: Miami) game at Florida Field was "The Field Goal". Have hated Miami ever since.

1980 - Miami 31, Florida 7.The Hurricanes, behind quarterback Jim Kelly, were routing the Gators at Florida Field when UF fans started tangerines (as in Tangerine Bowl-bound) at the UM sideline. Schnellenberger was livid, so the UM coach summoned placekicker Danny Miller to tag a run-it-up field goal on the home team -- with one second to play. The crowd booed unmercifully as the Canes left the field.

Last edited:

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
My first (Edit: Miami) game at Florida Field was "The Field Goal". Have hated Miami ever since.

1980 - Miami 31, Florida 7.The Hurricanes, behind quarterback Jim Kelly, were routing the Gators at Florida Field when UF fans started tangerines (as in Tangerine Bowl-bound) at the UM sideline. Schnellenberger was livid, so the UM coach summoned placekicker Danny Miller to tag a run-it-up field goal on the home team -- with one second to play. The crowd booed unmercifully as the Canes left the field.

I wasn't familiar with that game, but the way you describe it, I don't think I'd hold a grudge. I'd be pissed too if the opposing fans were throwing tangerines at me from the stands.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I wasn't familiar with that game, but the way you describe it, I don't think I'd hold a grudge. I'd be pissed too if the opposing fans were throwing tangerines at me from the stands.
I don't remember Tangerines being thrown at the field. Think about it. How many fans bring Tangerines to a football game. What they might have done was flying the lids off of coke cups which was common back then. So common that they started wrapping the drinks in saran wrap. But I didn't even see that happening.

Jun 2, 2015
1982 - Florida 17, Miami 14. Behind Peace, the Gators drove 61 yards in six plays, capped by fullback James Jones' leaping, one-handed, 17-yard touchdown to give UF what Pell called, “one of the greatest, most rewarding wins we've had in the history of Florida football.”

http://floridagators.com/news/2013/9/5/26170.aspx
the good ole Gator vs 'canes rivalry back in the day

GatorStud, thanks for the info. I clicked on the memory of UF vs. UM games right below your above response and it brought back some good and some repressed memories. Two vivid memories I recall...the "tangerine" event when Coach Snelly had our kicker kick an unnecessary field goal in the last few seconds. I was sitting in front of Larry Little's Mom (I think his brother played for UF?) who kept telling me to sit down and from our angle we couldn't tell if the field goal was good or not until we heard the massive booing from UF fans.

Second one was in Tampa - Kosar "come-back" in the last 40 or so seconds. A lot of UF & UM fans were unaware Miami won as they left a bit early. I never ever leave early 'cause what happened in your Tenn. game can happen at anytime in college ball....that is what makes college football so great. Regardless, congrats on how you got there, a win is a win in the books for ever.

Jun 2, 2015
I don't remember Tangerines being thrown at the field. Think about it. How many fans bring Tangerines to a football game. What they might have done was flying the lids off of coke cups which was common back then. So common that they started wrapping the drinks in saran wrap. But I didn't even see that happening.

I was there in the visitor section on around the 15 yard line and it was definitely tangerines and a few oranges that were being thrown by some UF students at our players and coaches. I remember we were told that the president of UF sent a letter of apology to Coach Snelly. I am sure that some of our fans have done that and worse.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not an all time great but Wes Chandler has a couple in this video. I've always been particular to the one at the 44 second mark against the humpers.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I was there in the visitor section on around the 15 yard line and it was definitely tangerines and a few oranges that were being thrown by some UF students at our players and coaches. I remember we were told that the president of UF sent a letter of apology to Coach Snelly. I am sure that some of our fans have done that and worse.
Still hate the canes.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not an all time great but Wes Chandler has a couple in this video. I've always been particular to the one at the 44 second mark against the humpers.

JEREED!! :faint:

:bananawave:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.