Grier tells his story (w/ Matt Hayes)

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
this sours me on McElwain even more. sounds like Mac had as poor of an attitude as Grier did. Why would you stand up there at the press conference and say that you back him, and will be there to support him, and then tell him a fresh stat may be best?
i believe that there is truth to both sides, but also some deception by both as well.
I agree with all of this...

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure there are some partial truths to that story, but I highly doubt that everything played out the way Grier says it did. The whole purpose of that was simply to make himself look better, and he probably doesn't mind throwing Mac under the bus in the process.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
it appears to me that Mac is throwing himself under the bus & doesn't need any help from Grier

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Then my head coach tells me to transfer.
Is there anything else to say here....really. Mac is the Jackass just like I said 1,000x and he better hope this decision doesn't cost him his job sooner than later. This kid made a simple mistake with NO MALICIOUS INTENT....This kid was going to be the guy who brings UF football back......I'll wait for all the "good 5 quarters" comments......

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Once again our Gators are in the news, and not in a good way. Time for something good to happen, eh?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
it appears to me that Mac is throwing himself under the bus & doesn't need any help from Grier

Yeah, I would agree that, regardless of the small variations in their stories, this isn't a good look for Mac. Below is what we've kind of come to expect from him. A pompous, condescending tone throughout and a bad job of selling the notion that Grier's side isn't totally accurate. I get taking the high road, but there are ways you can answer that without coming across like a jerk.

"Editor's note: Bleacher Report contacted McElwain to get his side of this story. On being late for the meeting with Grier because he was recruiting another quarterback, he said, "Was I late? I don't know. ... I'd have to check my calendar. I recruit a bunch of guys. We had 24 guys in that recruiting class." On pushing for Grier to transfer, he said, "I want nothing but the best for all of these guys. WVU is the best for him. That's what should be the focus. I will protect him until the end. I'm not going to go into how many times the stories change or the different wiggles it took. I understand the dynamics and pressure he's under. ... I'm glad he found a home. I feel horrible about what occurred. I’m excited that he has a place where he can go make a difference."

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
There are some interesting things in this story:

1. If his story is true, the NCAA should be much clearer. Sure the kids should ask the staff, but what is the point of having a banned list if not everything is on the list?

2. He paints Mac as the bad guy, but I compare the way Mac talks about LDR, AA, Trask and Franks with the way he spoke about Grier. He was cold when commenting about him and I'm talking about before Grier tested positive. He rarely if ever complimented him. That implies more is going on than Grier is saying. Coaches don't normally do that with stud QBs.

3. Most beat writers and UF media alums all reported Grier making demands. All reported he went awol for 2-4 weeks with no one knowing where he went. Were they all wrong? Were all their sources wrong? Or is Grier lying? I look at how his family acts in the limelight. It is hard for me to believe that didn't rub off on Grier.

4. This comment from Coach Mac says it all to me, "I'm not going to go into how many times the stories change or the different wiggles it took." It implies, to me at least, Grier was dishonest in some way.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I give no phvcks about his "side" of the story. The fact remains he made a decision to take a banned substance without clearing it with the training staff...which is the only reason this whole fiasco took place. Phvck him.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure there's a lot more to this story than either one of them will ever admit. This is a PR stunt. Nothing more.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
4. This comment from Coach Mac says it all to me, "I'm not going to go into how many times the stories change or the different wiggles it took." It implies, to me at least, Grier was dishonest in some way.
:exactly:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Blah blah blah.....bottom line is he would still be our starting QB if he didnt **** up. Bye bye.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I read in stories that I left the team, that it was my decision. It wasn't. Coach McElwain was telling the media that I was eligible to practice with the team, while telling me I didn't need to be around the team at this time.

Yet media reports at the time he disappeared... I'm sure that neither side is being honest on this.

I felt like I was being pushed away from Florida.I was crushed. I thought something had to be wrong. ... I felt like I was being pushed away from Florida.

At some point I think their might be some truth to this statement. One of the dumbest things you can do is not talk to the training staff over a new supplement. With all the information and training they give you to go to the training staff first. As far as doing something wrong he did.

After I came back, my dad and I had a meeting with Coach McElwain in November to discuss the future. The meeting was scheduled for 5 p.m., and two hours later, Coach McElwain shows up. He was out recruiting (quarterback) Feleipe Franks.

Could be true, might be they showed up at 5 expected McElwain to be there. There is a little ego on both sides of this issue.

I've read in various media stories that my dad and I had demanded guarantees of playing time or that we didn't want to play at Florida. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was the exact opposite. We went in there and specifically said we weren't looking for guarantees.

I said, the exact quote, "I just want to know what your plans are for the future. Are you going to bring in more guys? Am I a guy you don't see playing here in the future?"

He said, "You're welcome here in the future, you're a Gator, but I'm not telling you my plans. I'm not giving you any guarantees."

This series of statements compared to what his dad has said in the past doesn't really match. Being almost a year away from these conversations how much of this is really accurate? I'm sure McElwain came off as a dick, he does come off as a dick. But the Grier's especially dad grier comes off as an entitled douche bag. I'm sure there is more to this conversation their either side is giving.

Two weeks later, I decided to have one more meeting, man-to-man, and ask McElwain what the future held. I kept asking him what I could do to make it work there. He finally ended up saying, "Maybe a fresh start isn't the worst thing." He said that, and I said, "So I guess that's the move."

Depends on what he means by make it work. Does he mean what does he have to do, to get back on the team/earn the starting spot. Or what he needs to do to be given the starting spot.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
At a glance, it reads really well... but go back and look for this ONE thing: not ONCE does he refer to any coach, from any of the schools named, as "coach." It's him and "Dana" now. He mentions at least 4 coaches by name (muschamp, mac, Urbs, and "Dana"... maybe I missed someone) without ever saying "Coach."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2. He paints Mac as the bad guy, but I compare the way Mac talks about LDR, AA, Trask and Franks with the way he spoke about Grier. He was cold when commenting about him and I'm talking about before Grier tested positive. He rarely if ever complimented him. That implies more is going on than Grier is saying.
This was absolutely obvious from the beginning. And we had ole Skank Chasin' Daddy Grier commenting publicly and tweeting like a drunken Donald Drumpf from the outset. Mac obviously didn't like that crap.

We've had these kind of azzhole dads in the past, like Grossman for example, but Mac apparently didn't think enough of Will Grier to overlook the posting of Skank Chaser.

3. Most beat writers and UF media alums all reported Grier making demands. ...

Lots of TRUTH in both these. A like wasn't strong enough.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I would agree that, regardless of the small variations in their stories, this isn't a good look for Mac. Below is what we've kind of come to expect from him. A pompous, condescending tone throughout and a bad job of selling the notion that Grier's side isn't totally accurate. I get taking the high road, but there are ways you can answer that without coming across like a jerk.

"Editor's note: Bleacher Report contacted McElwain to get his side of this story. On being late for the meeting with Grier because he was recruiting another quarterback, he said, "Was I late? I don't know. ... I'd have to check my calendar. I recruit a bunch of guys. We had 24 guys in that recruiting class." On pushing for Grier to transfer, he said, "I want nothing but the best for all of these guys. WVU is the best for him. That's what should be the focus. I will protect him until the end. I'm not going to go into how many times the stories change or the different wiggles it took. I understand the dynamics and pressure he's under. ... I'm glad he found a home. I feel horrible about what occurred. I’m excited that he has a place where he can go make a difference."
Im inclined to agree with sofla on this one, his response tends to look as a dodge around the issue and he sorta confirms griers statement with the "west Virginia is best for him" thing.

As far as the comments above mentioning grier throwing mac under the bus or who started the accusatory type stuff... sorry to all the Grier haters but Mac started that not Grier. Grier has never made any public comments except that it was an honest mistake and that he was really sorry until this statement here while Mac stated to the press months ago that he and his dad were looking for guarantees and made some comments alluding to sometimes you have to be forced to grow up and take responsibility or what not. That's a pretty significant shot and it very well may be true, but it still doesn't change the fact that the public undermining started with mac, not grier.

I embrace the negativity I'm sure to receive :lol2:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
To me, the below section confirms that Grier wanted a guarantee he would be the starter. Grier came to Coach Macs office, wanting a guarantee he'd start. Coach told him, you're a gator and your on the team. If you want to start, earn it. A few weeks later, Grier's still complaining so they part ways.

From the B/R article, "I said, the exact quote, "I just want to know what your plans are for the future. Are you going to bring in more guys? Am I a guy you don't see playing here in the future?"

He said, "You're welcome here in the future, you're a Gator, but I'm not telling you my plans. I'm not giving you any guarantees."

Two weeks later, I decided to have one more meeting, man-to-man, and ask McElwain what the future held. I kept asking him what I could do to make it work there. He finally ended up saying, "Maybe a fresh start isn't the worst thing." He said that, and I said, "So I guess that's the move."

A lot can happen during the "he finally ended up saying". This infers Mac booted him, but it could be Grier quits and Mac says, "a fresh start isn't the worst thing"

Mac still looks like a smug donkey though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator