Grier tells his story (w/ Matt Hayes)

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
mark these words boys, losing grier will be the downfall of mac. He did have "it" despite what some of you think. Either allen or franks better have it or MAC is toast
Ahhhyup.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It'll all be OK though. Look how well we bounced back from losing Cam Newton.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
My common sense (which I can't give guarantees on) tells me that an HC with any recruiting instincts
would have Grier staying at UF and motivating him to hyper-dedicate himself to proving his QBness
down the road.
This... Anyone who says him hanging around would be a distraction.. If that were the case, that would be on the Coach allowing it to become a distraction. He had "IT."

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He was? That's news to me. Did you see his last game he played at UF vs Missouri? I didn't see a "playmaker", I saw a kid struggling to play QB at the Division 1 level. But, whatever. If that makes fans feel better so be it.

Grier vs. Missouri 2015: 20/33, 208 yards, 0 TDs - That's the "it" factor??????????????????????????????????
What did you expect him to do with a less than HS quality line going against what was at the time a top 10 defense and best pass rushing defense in the country? Hell those numbers look pretty good when you also factor in that he had 1 D1 quality WR.....How many drives did he keep alive with his legs? There's more to being a QB in CFB than putting up huge numbers(which he probably will once on a complete team).....And no he wasn't a miracle worker.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
However, Mac does come across like a jerk.
He does, but at the same time, I'd be pissed as hell too. Florida's future was extremely bright with Grier and he threw it all away for being an idiot. Grier claims he did his "due diligence" on determining whether or not Ligandrol was banned, yet he didn't ask multiple professionals, who he sees on a daily basis, if the ingredient was illegal. This is why I believe Grier knew it was illegal and took it anyways. This selfish move affected the entire team and the coaching staff's livelihood. They have a right to be incredibly angry.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
What did you expect him to do with a less than HS quality line going against what was at the time a top 10 defense and best pass rushing defense in the country? Hell those numbers look pretty good when you also factor in that he had 1 D1 quality WR.....How many drives did he keep alive with his legs? There's more to being a QB in CFB than putting up huge numbers(which he probably will once on a complete team).....And no he wasn't a miracle worker.
According to some here, having a bad game (like Eason last week) is tantamount to being a bust.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OK, but a QB is more than just numbers as some on here suggest....sometimes hitting that pass at just the right time or using your legs to pick up a 1st down and keep a drive going are just what a growing and still struggling team need.
I just find it almost laughable that some posters on here can completely deny this guy ANY talent just because he made a mistake(and it's looking more like a honest one).

Grier had talent, he was also a bit of a douche. Would he have brought up back to where we were, don't know. He was only 6 games in. He was by far the most athletically gifted qb on our roster, and would be this year as well. Don't know if his style fit McElwain's offense, too much of a gunslinger. Grier is a high risk/high reward passer, like Farve, Romo, etc.. can make great plays but relies on this athletism too much which comes back to haunt you. Could he potentially be great? Absolutely.

I blame the situation on both parties... Grier and by extension his Dad seem to want a lot of attention and are kind of douche canoes. McElwain is a bit of a dick, and it probably didn't sit well.

I get that people want to forgive the mistake, but it was a big mistake. I can't express how much this is told to the athletes at UF. Was it a mistake of youth, of course... but it's one you can't make at a top 10 program.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Grier had talent, he was also a bit of a douche. Would he have brought up back to where we were, don't know. He was only 6 games in. He was by far the most athletically gifted qb on our roster, and would be this year as well. Don't know if his style fit McElwain's offense, too much of a gunslinger. Grier is a high risk/high reward passer, like Farve, Romo, etc.. can make great plays but relies on this athletism too much which comes back to haunt you. Could he potentially be great? Absolutely.

I blame the situation on both parties... Grier and by extension his Dad seem to want a lot of attention and are kind of douche canoes. McElwain is a bit of a dick, and it probably didn't sit well.

I get that people want to forgive the mistake, but it was a big mistake. I can't express how much this is told to the athletes at UF. Was it a mistake of youth, of course... but it's one you can't make at a top 10 program.
Attitudes aside... We would be a better team with him in the lineup this year....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Food for thought to all of the "Five Quarters Guys".....He would be eligible for this weeks game.....right now....Who would you want back there for the rest of the season? I'll await some honest responses........

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A superb QB hides a whole lot of warts.....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Look regardless of which side of the mac/grier argument you find yourself on, anyone on here saying grier was crap and who cares that he's gone is totally disingenuous. Every single person, and I do mean every one of us, was on this board 12 and half months ago celebrating the fact that we FINALLY found a playmaker at the qb position. Ya'll know its true.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A few observations here:

1) I don't think Will Grier is a bad kid, or even a dumb one, but his the-lady-doth-protest-too-much explanation of events doesn't exactly hold water. He says he doesn't know why he didn't ask the training staff. Will, you didn't ask the training staff because you didn't want hear their answer. You thought you had an escape hatch, the NCAA doesn't work that way. I and a million other 19 year-olds have made similar mistakes, move on and try not to lose any more sleep over it.

2) What the hell kind of operation is Mac running? I presume most major college programs have nutritionists on staff who supply safe supplements to help kids gain weight. If Grier was given a regimen and didn't follow it, shame on him. But if he wasn't given a regimen and checked up on regularly, shame on Mac for not facilitating it. This reminds me of Muschamp, who had a strength and conditioning coach giving these kids Zumba and Jazzersize classes every morning. This is a big time college football program, you should be emulating some professional-level best practices.

3) I think Grier wrote this piece for his father to read more than anything else. That family has produced some fairly overachieving boys, and to let down your dad in that environment has got to be tough. Hell, just the quality of the trim these guys are bringing home is impressive enough to make most papas proud to have raised their kid well. Life is so much easier when you are getting blown by a beautiful blonde on the reg. But that helicopter of a dad has got to be a little bit less inclined to excuse failure even after a young life of achievement.

4) Grier's mistake may ultimately cost Mac his job. Grier had some qualities that could make him a great college QB, and that would likely have won Mac some much needed games. If his QBs don't work out next year, Mac is in serious trouble. For that reason, I don't blame the coach for being a bit insensitive when the Griers came calling to find out where they stood. Mac had to land Franks, which meant Grier was a potential obstacle to that signing, while also not providing any benefit to the team for 12 months. I also believe, given some of Mac's comments, that Grier had an inconsistent story. If Huntley Johnson is any good, and I believe he is, he had investigators interviewing Austin Hardin, the clerk at the nutrition store and anyone else they could find. My guess is their stories were quite different than Grier's. That alone would be enough to raise red flags. Mac probably didn't need a risk like that blocking a potential high-quality QB signing.

5) West Virginia is a good team with a good coach. We may very well see Grier in the national spotlight next year and the year after. It'll be massively depressing if he ends up being an O'Brien or Heisman finalist in 2018, especially if our team doesn't improve substantially.

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
5) West Virginia is a good team with a good coach. We may very well see Grier in the national spotlight next year and the year after. It'll be massively depressing if he ends up being an O'Brien or Heisman finalist in 2018, especially if our team doesn't improve substantially.

Grier will be very good with Holgerson's version of the air-raid offense. I will be depressed if we haven't found a reliable QB by then.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Attitudes aside... We would be a better team with him in the lineup this year....

Potentially, looking at our line, he could also have been spending most of the second half of the season in a knee brace. Until that is fixed it's hard to trust anyone under center.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grier will be very good with Holgerson's version of the air-raid offense. I will be depressed if we haven't found a reliable QB by then.

Honestly Holgerson's offense is a better fit for Grier's skills and mentality than McElwain's.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Potentially, looking at our line, he could also have been spending most of the second half of the season in a knee brace. Until that is fixed it's hard to trust anyone under center.
Respectfully, you think ANY game this season our QB has looked better than Grier did?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I know, I know. He was a future All-SEC/Heisman candidate. I get it. It was everyone else's fault. He was just a redshirt freshman. He would have been great with a great team around him...blah...blah...blah. I've heard it a thousand times on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.