Grier tells his story (w/ Matt Hayes)

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Did Mac need to stand by WG? Mac had del Rio redshirting and available going forward. He had 2 QBs lined up to come in (Franks, Trask) and another behind them (Allen). No. Mac didn't need him, didn't need the distraction for the staff or the team to have a 'starter' hovering around for 12 months and unable to contribute, one who sets the example of getting himself suspended for a year for being stupid. Mac needed to focus on moving this program forward, and WG had just taken himself out of the next 12 months of that process.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Grier/Hardin had some LEGENDARY parties while he was at UF and the powder that was there damn sure wasn't bought at a nutrition store :lol:
This! Mac never appreciated what Grier did because this kid was a liability of the field.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
me too...
Remember hee haw could not even figure out who was going to start between Grier and Harris... Some whisperer
He knew who was better, it was obvious to anyone. It was Grier's party boy lifestyle that Mac was weary about. Looks as if he was right. None of this is Mac's fault.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can't be sure who to believe here, so there's no sense in copping an opinion. Although I do have an opinion of Mac being sarcastic and it's not printable.

Mac's delusional, though, if he thought Del Rio was the one-for-one answer. The guy's serviceable, period, which is fine so long as all the other team components are sound, and they aren't.

Grier was a playmaker with an undeniable "it" factor. Those kind of athletes don't come around regularly.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile players at Alabama are being caught with illegal weapons... No big deal. keep on winning
Players? The LB's gun wasn't illegal, he just didn't have a permit. The LT is the one with the gun issue. Was there another player?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was crushed. I thought something had to be wrong. ... I felt like I was being pushed away from Florida.
After I came back, my dad and I had a meeting with Coach McElwain in November to discuss the future. The meeting was scheduled for 5 p.m., and two hours later, Coach McElwain shows up. He was out recruiting (quarterback) Feleipe Franks.

Thought I would take a look at the interview that Chad Grier gave to Justin Parker (http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/fl...-father-talks-transfer-florida-west-virginia/) where a similar. The meeting that was scheduled for 5pm, according to Chad Grier (April 8th 2015) was supposed to be for when McElwain returned from the H.S. State Championship Game which Franks was playing in (in Orlando) checking the schedule (PalmBeachPost) it was set for a 1:07 PM kick off.

The Griers’ meeting with McElwain occurred the same night McElwain went to watch Feleipe Franks play in Florida’s 5A state championship game. Chad Grier said the purpose of the meeting was to find out what McElwain and staff had in mind for Will going forward.

“All he was looking for,” said Chad Grier, “was a few minutes for McElwain to reassure him and say, ‘We want you here, you’re a big part of our future.’ However that works out, whatever it is — ‘It’s important you’re a part of our program. We want you here.’ It never got close to that.”

The Griers sensed the program had moved on, and not for the first time. After his suspension was announced Oct. 12, Will Grier returned home for a few days, essentially to regroup and collect his thoughts. Once back in Gainesville, he didn’t participate in any on-campus team activities, though he was permitted by NCAA rules.

“It was not Will’s choice,” said Chad Grier. “He was never pulled back in.”

The word from McElwain was that Grier could return to workouts Jan. 5.

What McElwain Said:

For his part, McElwain has insisted the two camps just couldn’t get on the same page about the future.

“Here’s the one thing about that is I think, this is what I don’t think anybody understands, look I will never beg someone to do anything,” McElwain said, according to the Orlando Sentinel. “You got to have it in your heart. To be successful at anything in life, it’s got to be a passion, OK.

“And sometimes in life we all maybe look for … hmmm, what to say maybe, uh, sure things, you know, guarantees. There are no guarantees.”

Grier is far from the only SEC quarterback to transfer this offseason, and he’s not the only player whose father got involved.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Can the mods please create a new category JUST FOR threads on Muschamp and Grier. You can call it THE WILLS. Both of those rejects are are ancient history as far as I am concerned.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You can't be sure who to believe here, so there's no sense in copping an opinion. Although I do have an opinion of Mac being sarcastic and it's not printable.

Mac's delusional, though, if he thought Del Rio was the one-for-one answer. The guy's serviceable, period, which is fine so long as all the other team components are sound, and they aren't.

Grier was a playmaker with an undeniable "it" factor. Those kind of athletes don't come around regularly.

He was? That's news to me. Did you see his last game he played at UF vs Missouri? I didn't see a "playmaker", I saw a kid struggling to play QB at the Division 1 level. But, whatever. If that makes fans feel better so be it.

Grier vs. Missouri 2015: 20/33, 208 yards, 0 TDs - That's the "it" factor??????????????????????????????????

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
He was? That's news to me. Did you see his last game he played at UF vs Missouri? I didn't see a "playmaker", I saw a kid struggling to play QB at the Division 1 level. But, whatever. If that makes fans feel better so be it.

Grier vs. Missouri 2015: 20/33, 208 yards, 0 TDs - That's the "it" factor??????????????????????????????????
Don't tell '78, but those are very LDR/Appleby-like numbers :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It wasn't five. It was probably 3.5.
Yeah he single handedly won pretty much 6 games with half as many weapons as we have this year and the WORST offensive line in the history of CFB......There's a reason SOS didn't kick Grossman off the team and it's because he knew there are only so many guys like him...Same with Grier except his coach doesn't know half of what SOS does.....Single players in CFB make the difference between average and good teams and good teams/championship teams....unless you're Bama where everyone is a stud...we ain't ANYWHERE near there and won't be for a while without a game changing QB.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

I think Mac thought/thinks Del Rio was/is the guy. Remember Mac said he could win with his dog at QB. Unfortunately he has neglected other areas like O line and special teams development (except for kickers).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah he single handedly won pretty much 6 games with half as many weapons as we have this year and the WORST offensive line in the history of CFB......There's a reason SOS didn't kick Grossman off the team and it's because he knew there are only so many guys like him...Same with Grier except his coach doesn't know half of what SOS does.....Single players in CFB make the difference between average and good teams and good teams/championship teams....unless you're Bama where everyone is a stud...we ain't ANYWHERE near there and won't be for a while without a game changing QB.

He single handedly won 6 games? Crete I know you love some Grier, but even you know this statement is a little outlandish. Grier did play some great football, but also got luck with some passes that should have been picked and run back. But he is the only reason we won those 6 games... Against the giants of ECU (where he was pulled), Tennessee (who last year couldn't close a game), New Mexico State (it was a close game), Kentucky (?), Ole Miss (great play by Grier in the first half), and Missouri (who had no offense). I think your statement is a little overblown to say he single handedly won the first 6 games.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Just lost a ton of respect for Mac. I believe the kid made an honest mistake and the NCAA is a bunch of ass clowns to begin with. It's so damn confusing that you can't keep up with it. I do believe the training staff would have given him the green light to take the stuff and we shut the door in the kids face.

Mac should have tried his dog in the secondary.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
There is a reason you always ask the training staff to vet something out before you take it. Drug makers are always coming up with new things to try and stay off lists and to get around tests. The drug list will never be complete, but checking with the NCAA before taking it will help you out. My guess is his test helped the NCAA discover it to add to the list or gave them a reason to push it over. Some wanted to call it a little mistake, but it set our program back.

Grier did seem like he had more talent than everyone here, but he derailed a season, would have caused controversy in the next season, and set us back in recruiting on O. Not surprised Mac was salty with him after that. Even if he did stay and won the job back the distraction was to much of a bother. At WV it may only come up a few times when he gets back in, but here it would be the main story probably the entire first season he would be back. Hell look at how much they talked about Calloway the first few games and don't think it won't come up again this week depending on who is calling our game.

As for Mac this makes him look like a prick. We know that he is one, the media says he is one, and its shocking that no one wants to come here (Brian Kelly is in the same boat right now). He can't recruit now, but this sure as hell isn't going to help. This was a parting shot by Grier and it may cause some guys to look away from us because of it and the feeling that the coaching staff would turn on them to.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You can only trust admissions that come from experiential memory - those do not flow perfectly, but
editorialized "memory" precisely transplants those "good-me" revelations for the clumsier truth talk.

It's hard for me to accept any player making demands of "no matter how badly I perform you will not
allow someone else to become the starting QB." ??

My common sense (which I can't give guarantees on) tells me that an HC with any recruiting instincts
would have Grier staying at UF and motivating him to hyper-dedicate himself to proving his QBness
down the road.

All in all, the proof towards smart-move v dumb-move will reveal itself via Grier's WV QB stats.
Personally, I think WV should have made Grier guarantee a National Championship.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jim McElwain's decision to run him off, stop telling it otherwise, Mac. Jim McElwain's job is on the line so he will live or die with it....so be it.

Meanwhile, GatorNation pays the price once more.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He single handedly won 6 games? Crete I know you love some Grier, but even you know this statement is a little outlandish. Grier did play some great football, but also got luck with some passes that should have been picked and run back. But he is the only reason we won those 6 games... Against the giants of ECU (where he was pulled), Tennessee (who last year couldn't close a game), New Mexico State (it was a close game), Kentucky (?), Ole Miss (great play by Grier in the first half), and Missouri (who had no offense). I think your statement is a little overblown to say he single handedly won the first 6 games.
OK, but a QB is more than just numbers as some on here suggest....sometimes hitting that pass at just the right time or using your legs to pick up a 1st down and keep a drive going are just what a growing and still struggling team need.
I just find it almost laughable that some posters on here can completely deny this guy ANY talent just because he made a mistake(and it's looking more like a honest one).

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
mark these words boys, losing grier will be the downfall of mac. He did have "it" despite what some of you think. Either allen or franks better have it or MAC is toast

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that ligandrol was the substance in question and that ligandrol was NOT on the list of banned substances has to give you a little bit of empathy for the kid. Was it a mistake to not clear it with the trainers? Yes of course. Does the punishment fit the crime here? I don't think so.

Meanwhile, NFL players get 4 game suspensions for PEDs and illegal narcotics then they are right back on the field, while a college kid who takes ligandrol, even knowingly, is given what amounts to a 2 year suspension. Totally makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.