Grier transfers to WVU

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I'm not so quick to blame Grier's dad for Mac's dislike. I think Will's choices off the field were the factor. It's just my opinion, but we do know that he at least chose badly with roommates, women and tattoos. The association with Hardin, a campus known high-lifer, is probably enough to be in the dog house. Mac was always critical of WG, even when he did well.

Fair enough - it isn't hard to believe it is a family affair. Apparently his brother Nash is also known for being somewhat abrasive as well. Hayes seems less so but who knows what any of them are like really. All the rumors are just another reason that it is probably better for everyone he is gone. Wasn't aware of Hardin's reputation but can't say it is all that surprising either. Having him leave is also not a big loss clearly.

I guess it is good we are getting a fresh start at both the positions with folks who are apparently really ready to work. After all the drama surrounding those positions last year, Mac deserves a fresh start too.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't aware of Hardin's reputation but can't say it is all that surprising either. Having him leave is also not a big loss clearly.

Yeah supposedly he had a coke problem. Just rumors. Also he supposedly also missed a game because he was at a party. I think Mac made him cut his hair halfway through the season. Can you imagine if we just had somebody who could have kicked field-goal's last year? How much better we would have been?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I almost wish Mac would troll him and his dad. Tell them "hell yes he's gonna be the starter the minute he's eligible". Then, have his ass as the scout team QB all year. :lol:
This has been my point all along. Why didn't they just tell what he wanted to hear? If our new QB is lighting it up next season no one would fault Mac for sticking with the hot hand. On the other hand if our offense looks like sh!t then at least Mac might have an insurance policy for the second half of the season. I'm sure coaches tell recruits similar stories during the recruiting process and I see no difference here.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This has been my point all along. Why didn't they just tell what he wanted to hear? If our new QB is lighting it up next season no one would fault Mac for sticking with the hot hand. On the other hand if our offense looks like sh!t then at least Mac might have an insurance policy for the second half of the season. I'm sure coaches tell recruits similar stories during the recruiting process and I see no difference here.
It's called integrity.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah supposedly he had a coke problem. Just rumors. Also he supposedly also missed a game because he was at a party. I think Mac made him cut his hair halfway through the season. Can you imagine if we just had somebody who could have kicked field-goal's last year? How much better we would have been?
yeah, a lot of people don't realize how much momentum can change between throwing 3pts on the board versus missing a RZ FG.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It's called integrity.
:lmao2:Integrity....:lmao2: college football, :lmao2:
In all seriousness though, what about when coaches are recruiting? You can't believe they don't tell 5 star kids "I'm sure you'll fit right into our system". Integrity my ass, I still call it insurance...

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In all seriousness though, what about when coaches are recruiting? You can't believe they don't tell 5 star kids "I'm sure you'll fit right into our system". Integrity my ass, I still call it insurance...

You sound like my EX-insurance agent... just saying...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That's the thing about integrity...either you have it or you don't. It's the the only thing in the world no one can take from you...only you can give it away.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
yeah, a lot of people don't realize how much momentum can change between throwing 3pts on the board versus missing a RZ FG.
Yeah, Jeff Driskel won many games by going 3 and out then watching Caleb Sturgis carry the offense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
That's the thing about integrity...either you have it or you don't. It's the the only thing in the world no one can take from you...only you can give it away.
I wonder if most fans cared about Urban's integrity when they were cheering during his 2 NC'S...I'd be willing to bet Bammers didn't give much thought to Saban's either when he said he wasn't leaving Miami, as long as he brought NC's back to Bammerland.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if most fans cared about Urban's integrity when they were cheering during his 2 NC'S...I'd be willing to bet Bammers didn't give much thought to Saban's either when he said he wasn't leaving Miami, as long as he brought NC's back to Bammerland.
Well, we can certainly put you in the don't give a :kiffin: about integrity camp, so that makes one...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's not a rule that you can't have both...see SOS and BD for any proof needed.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

In the end Urban's lack of integrity culture created an entitlement cancer which he could not cure and it almost killed him (or so he thought anyway :)). So yes, though the championships were awesome, in the end the integrity challenges have lead to a long period of ugliness which we are still dealing with to some degree today though it seems we may be close to coming through it.

In the long run, integrity pays better dividends in my book. Admittedly a lot of the world thinks and acts otherwise, but I choose not to support that philosophy. Coach Mac is always talking about life being about choices and being able to live with those choices. I can live with choosing integrity.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
In the end Urban's lack of integrity culture created an entitlement cancer which he could not cure and it almost killed him (or so he thought anyway :)). So yes, though the championships were awesome, in the end the integrity challenges have lead to a long period of ugliness which we are still dealing with to some degree today though it seems we may be close to coming through it.

In the long run, integrity pays better dividends in my book. Admittedly a lot of the world thinks and acts otherwise, but I choose not to support that philosophy. Coach Mac is always talking about life being about choices and being able to live with those choices. I can live with choosing integrity.

This.

Also, with some of the iffy stuff surfacing years later, that 08 MNC has lost some luster. That's really sad and ironic considering Tebow was the face of the program. Timmy is genuine to the core, but urbs was apparently sweeping other stuff under the rug.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
There's a reason why college FB is dominated by people like Meyer, Saban and even Jimbo. Integrity is generally a weakness as a FB coach, ask Belichick.

I feel we should shoot for higher than that because our standard has been set by the likes of Spurrier and Donovan who proved you can be successful while maintaining their integrity and I feel Coach Mac is more in line with that approach so I really hope he will be successful.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well, we can certainly put you in the don't give a :kiffin: about integrity camp, so that makes one...
We're not talking about me nor do I coach CFB....BUT I still love ya, Durty. I'm just wondering if sometimes we're(UF) on a level playing field with everyone else, or at least the rest of the big boys in CFB. Fans of teams like FSU, Bama, Clemson, and such don't seem to be bothered by such matters. I get it that we are UF and supposed to be better. If I were alumni I might feel differently on the matter but I've also gotten my ass kicked off national boards for "defending UF's honor" regarding academic standards for athletes and not paying recruits, the whole 40 arrest and what not.....In the long run it probably would have been better for both parties if they had come to an agreement even if both sides saw it a little differently. Griers gonna waste up to a year and a half's eligibility.....and we may need a good QB next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator