Grier transfers to WVU

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This whole thing may end up costing Grier a bunch of playing time, but it may also cost Mac his job and set UF football, which in my opinion is teetering on the brink of long term mediocrity, into long term downward spiral....
I dont disagree w what you said. Of course the kid is talented and was forced to play behind a godawful line with no run support bc we had a godawful line.

As for Mac, I disagree somewhat. I have a sick feeling that we may have just seen his best season. Im sure Del Rio or Applebees may be serviceable. However, let's be realistic, they were 2nd or 3rd string backups on terrible football teams. Moreover, our defense is getting worse and weaker up the middle every year. The pathetically weak east may hide some of our flaws but I don't feel like we are even close to heading back to being an elite team again.

If Mac gets fired quickly, its not bc Grier left. We were recruiting poorly and grabbing low three stars from the beginning. You dont need a great QB perfect for you system to recruit a great class. Leak looked terrible running the option but Meyer recruited a champion class in 2006. Harballs and Smart recruited better classes without great QBs. Its about selling your vision of what the team is GOING TO BE. Every coach inherits a team w probkems. There is a reason the last guy got fired after all.

Our defensive recruiting has been terrible, and plenty of teams including us under Chimp recruited defense well without an offense or QB.

If we are stuck in another 3 years of mediocrity until Mac and Fooley get fired, its bc of Mac and his staff's inability to recruit at elite levels, not bc of Grier.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Man, your optimism is contagious.
Not trying to be a downer, Doc. Trust me, since 2009 I have been the guy that says after each season "oh, last year was just a fluke, we'll kick some serious ass this season". In fact for the most part I think we could end up winning 9-10 games again next season and another East title....Then again if the hopeless feeling I felt in my gut the last 6 weeks(from Vandy thru the bowl disaster) returns prior to midseason then were in for long, long road back to the top. It is what it is.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If Mac gets fired quickly, its not bc Grier left. We were recruiting poorly and grabbing low three stars from the beginning. You dont need a great QB perfect for you system to recruit a great class. Leak looked terrible running the option but Meyer recruited a champion class in 2006. Harballs and Smart recruited better classes without great QBs. Its about selling your vision of what the team is GOING TO BE. Every coach inherits a team w probkems. There is a reason the last guy got fired after all.

Our defensive recruiting has been terrible, and plenty of teams including us under Chimp recruited defense well without an offense or QB.

If we are stuck in another 3 years of mediocrity until Mac and Fooley get fired, its bc of Mac and his staff's inability to recruit at elite levels, not bc of Grier.
I just hope we can find a way to consistently score 30 or more points because as you've pointed out in the past Collins defenses are very suspect and it appears we won't have the same talent level on that side of the ball going forward....I hope I'm wrong but neither Applewood or a guy who's at his 3rd stop give me a warm and fuzzy feeling there...
I would sure as hell hope we don't give anyone 3 years of mediocrity but if Foley's still around you never know.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Surely Mac's offensive schemes with an improving OL & QB much better than
Treon (probably a QB as effective as Grier) such would allow Mac to average at
least 8-9 wins per season. Would Foley fire him for that?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you really happy with 8-6 or 9-5? Even 10 wins is mediocre these days, especially when you aren't even competitive in the 4 losses and more so when you are one safety slip or on 4th down conversion failure from losing several other games.

Wins: 3 geographic schools, kentucky, vandy, usc, mizzu. Those are wins that we could have with Rog or Chimp coaching. One of the west teams will suck and tinerc is a dumpster fire. Is going 1-6 or 2-5 versus the rest something that indicates he should remain a Gator?

8-10 wins is mediocrity, IMO. It's also about what I see in our future at the moment.

Hopefully we can turn it around with some elite talent next year. However, it given that it appears we are forced to take a tiny class next year. Maybe in 2018 or 2019 we can start the turnaround.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yes Law I don't like getting only 8 or 9 wins ... just saying that # of wins should
keep the "fire" hydrophobes at bay. ??

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Everyone head for the cliff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Which cliff, CG? I'll follow you anywhere, Chief.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Which cliff, CG? I'll follow you anywhere, Chief.

Ha! Sorry, had to poke a little fun. I get your concerns, I just think it's a bit early to judge Mac one way or the other.

I'm still optimistic, but I'm by no means gonna guarantee that Mac is our long term guy. I think he's had some extra challenges and clean up to do. I'd like to see how 2016 progresses on the field and recruiting trail before I start to have significant doubts.

I thought we had positive movement going until wg went full retard. Our capabilities shrunk when Harris took over. Sometimes that crap can't be anticipated or fixed until you get the right personnel. Maybe LDR is that guy, maybe not. Too many variables, so I'm in wait and see mode.

Stay away from the cliffs for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I dont disagree w what you said. Of course the kid is talented and was forced to play behind a godawful line with no run support bc we had a godawful line.

As for Mac, I disagree somewhat. I have a sick feeling that we may have just seen his best season. Im sure Del Rio or Applebees may be serviceable. However, let's be realistic, they were 2nd or 3rd string backups on terrible football teams. Moreover, our defense is getting worse and weaker up the middle every year. The pathetically weak east may hide some of our flaws but I don't feel like we are even close to heading back to being an elite team again.

I dont log in for a while and then come back and read this. I probably should have waited a while....

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the offense will be better this year. Not for any other reason than a better line. LB play will also be critical

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are you really happy with 8-6 or 9-5? Even 10 wins is mediocre these days, especially when you aren't even competitive in the 4 losses and more so when you are one safety slip or on 4th down conversion failure from losing several other games.

Wins: 3 geographic schools, kentucky, vandy, usc, mizzu. Those are wins that we could have with Rog or Chimp coaching. One of the west teams will suck and tinerc is a dumpster fire. Is going 1-6 or 2-5 versus the rest something that indicates he should remain a Gator?

8-10 wins is mediocrity, IMO. It's also about what I see in our future at the moment.

Hopefully we can turn it around with some elite talent next year. However, it given that it appears we are forced to take a tiny class next year. Maybe in 2018 or 2019 we can start the turnaround.
When r u going to jump? Do you need a push to help u? I'll do the Gator Nation a favor.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

When r u going to jump? Do you need a push to help u? I'll do the Gator Nation a favor.
I don't really see how anyone could disagree with what Law has to say here. 8 or 9 wins is no great feat . The East is really no better than the ACC, mid tier Big 10 or any other conference any more. We SHOULD cruise to another East title and IMO we are in troubled waters if we don't. We made excuses left and right for Muschamp during most of his time here because of the way Meyer left and look what it got us....The truth is good coaches/recruiters turn programs around sooner than later. Meyer, SOS, Saban, all had their teams competing for titles within 2 or 3 years. In fact Saban and Meyer have done it twice. Harbaugh has Michigan back to Top 10 status after 1 year. Hell even Jimbo had the Noles winning 10 plus games, winning conference titles, and in general has had them in the top 10 every year since his second.....Why don't we deserve that much if not more?

Last edited:

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Too much talent in this state and too big of a brand for UF not to annually have a top mecruiting class.

Granted, Mac had a lot to clean up after the Mustench - Oline, WR's and QB sorely lacking. He turned that around until the Grier major f-up. He also positively changed the culture from the POS that Mustench left.

I thought UF really faded in recruiting at the end of this season however. Hopefully 1 more year and finishing strong - this year's biggest downfall - will change that.

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't really see how anyone could disagree with what Law has to say here. 8 or 9 wins is no great feat . The East is really no better than the ACC, mid tier Big 10 or any other conference any more. We SHOULD cruise to another East title and IMO we are in troubled waters if we don't. We made excuses left and right for Muschamp during most of his time here because of the way Meyer left and look what it got us....The truth is good coaches/recruiters turn programs around sooner than later. Meyer, SOS, Saban, all had their teams competing for titles within 2 or 3 years. In fact Saban and Meyer have done it twice. Harbaugh has Michigan back to Top 10 status after 1 year. Hell even Jimbo had the Noles winning 10 plus games, winning conference titles, and in general has had them in the top 10 every year since his second.....Why don't we deserve that much if not more?
Did I say I disagreed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator