Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alright for the sake of argument let me give another point of view on this topic. First off anyone who thinks the kid doesn't have the talent to be a very good CFB QB needs rewind last years tape of the entire season.

No one is arguing the kid isn't talented, but talent alone will not make the different against good defenses who have game tape of you. Missouri was the first time defenses had enough game tape to see his tendencies. At this point it is up to him to grow, which is the question mark.

We were 2 different teams, plain and simple. No, he didn't light the world on fire during every game....who would have playing behind the worst offensive line I've seen in 45 years of watching big time CFB, not to mention a piss poor running game, no disrespect to KT, to fall back on, and a true freshmen as the best WR on the entire team.

An offensive line that got worst the second half of the season. We didn't beat a team that had equal or better talent than us all season. If you don't win the line of scrimmage it doesn't matter who is at QB. Grier was a better fit for the offense, and we wouldn't have struggled against FAU, Vandy, and USCe in my opinion with him at QB.

Who thinks we wouldn't have probably won the FSU game with him back there or been more competitive in the SECCG? I hope Del Rio is all that because in the long run top offensive talent wants to play with other top offensive talent.

Might have beaten FSU because they were inconsistent this year, still would have been run out of the stadium against Alabama. Our offensive line would still have been run over in both games.

This whole thing may end up costing Grier a bunch of playing time, but it may also cost Mac his job and set UF football, which in my opinion is teetering on the brink of long term mediocrity, into long term downward spiral....

This whole thing does hurt UF, but in the long run helps UF's brand. We did everything to help the kid, who ended up screwing us. It hurts the Griers not just Will but the whole family because it exposed them. The question is does it hurt Mac, every coach has a moment at a job where they have to define themselves. It is either going to define him as a failure or not. It's too early to tell, by the 2017 season we will know the true direction of the program because the Mustank will be gone and it will be Mac's ship.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
but talent alone will not make the different against good defenses who have game tape of you. Missouri was the first time defenses had enough game tape to see his tendencies.
No talent alone won't make all the difference but how much better would he have been coming back this year with what looks to be a better offensive line, presumably more talent at receiver, and a full stable of RB's to work with? What we have instead is a guy who wasn't good enough to keep a starting position at a cellar dweller Big 10 school and another guy who changes schools because he either isn't good enough to complete for a starting job or doesn't like the system when he gets somewhere.....Grier on the other hand at least saw what SEC real time game action is all about and had the accuracy and balls to make some damned nice throws....That's not something that grows on trees nor can it be simulated in practice...In other words we walked a proven commodity.
It is what it is at this point, however anyone who downplays this as not being a huge fork in the road for UF football and the tenure of it's current HC is not being realistic...In Mac we trust....I guess.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grier on the other hand at least saw what SEC real time game action is all about and had the accuracy and balls to make some damned nice throws

People were saying the same thing about Harris last offseason. Again, we do not know if Grier would have taken the next step. We do not know how he would have adjusted, because we haven't seen it. I would prefer that he was he if he was able to play, but we don't know what we truly had in him either. We wanted him to be the next great Gator, he isn't going to be.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Crap happens all the time. Great coaches overcome these issues. They just do. I just feel like our fanbase is way too attached to excuse syndrome. It's been going on for far too long. Mac will succeed or he won't. Grier isn't going to make or break him. That's just stupid.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In todays CFB world the only thing that helps your brand is winning....BTW, Grier was undefeated as a starter...

After 5 games we have determined to find our savor? After the Titians of college football which are New Mexico Aggies (3-9), East Carolina Pirates (5-7), Kentucky Wildcats (5-7), Tennessee Vols (9-4), Ole Miss Rebels (10-3), and Missouri Tigers (5-7). He beat two quality wins, one of which handed us the victory because they are Tennessee.

So we are using the fact he was 5-0 against that murder's row?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
if LDR is consistent, he'll likely out produce what Grier did per game. Grier was a streaking QB who forced the ball many times. Grier's flashes have seemed to outshine some of his poor play, even though his poor plays seemed to outnumber his great plays.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
After 5 games we have determined to find our savor? After the Titians of college football which are New Mexico Aggies (3-9), East Carolina Pirates (5-7), Kentucky Wildcats (5-7), Tennessee Vols (9-4), Ole Miss Rebels (10-3), and Missouri Tigers (5-7). He beat two quality wins, one of which handed us the victory because they are Tennessee.

So we are using the fact he was 5-0 against that murder's row?
Well we all saw what Treon did.....he's now a WR. The other 2 probable starters next year don't exactly have stellar resumes either....in fact one's got nothing at all and the other couldn't keep a starting job playing against the likes of Indiana, Maryland, Illinois and Minnesota.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crap happens all the time. Great coaches overcome these issues. They just do. I just feel like our fanbase is way too attached to excuse syndrome. It's been going on for far too long. Mac will succeed or he won't. Grier isn't going to make or break him. That's just stupid.
So if crappy QB play teamed with a depleted defense yields a 6-6 or 7-5 season next year would you be willing to put stock in Macs future beyond 2017 or the state of the program rebounding before the end of the decade?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well we all saw what Treon did.....he's now a WR. The other 2 probable starters next year don't exactly have stellar resumes either....in fact one's got nothing at all and the other couldn't keep a starting job playing against the likes of Indiana, Maryland, Illinois and Minnesota.

So because Grier was a better quarterback than Harris (with better line play than Harris got at the end of the season), that makes him someone that will be Hall of Fame? We know about as much about the guys coming in, as we know if Grier was going to take that next step. We are just back to where we were at the beginning of the 2015 season, just with better depth.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I bet Del Rio has had NFL-type personal tutors during his several offseasons such that
his effectiveness will be better than Grier, certainly up to Bama's Coker. Del Rio's
goal will be to spur his team to win-it-all attitudes and to impress NFL scouts to
make his dad proud. And Gators reap the benefits.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
that makes him someone that will be Hall of Fame? We know about as much about the guys coming in
Who's saying Hall of Fame? For anyone to argue that Applewood or Del Rio has shown as much as a guy who stood in the line of fire and dropped dimes in REAL SEC games is borderline blind homerism. As far as Grier having a better line, I would dispute that our pass protection was better at the end of the year than the beginning. It was the run blocking that got worse....I guess it wasn't the Oompa Loompa's fault he couldn't see wide open receivers though.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So if crappy QB play teamed with a depleted defense yields a 6-6 or 7-5 season next year would you be willing to put stock in Macs future beyond 2017 or the state of the program rebounding before the end of the decade?

Such is life. Muschamp had 4-8 with a ton of injuries. Great coaches OVERCOME your pre-ordained excuses. I;m so sick of these garbage excuses every year. Win or get gone. Stop with these built in crutches. I guarantee you were screaming 5th string LB after GSU. My god, hire someone great and you won't have to cherry pick excuses on why they went 6-6. It is GARBAGE.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Such is life. Muschamp had 4-8 with a ton of injuries. Great coaches OVERCOME your pre-ordained excuses. I;m so sick of these garbage excuses every year. Win or get gone. Stop with these built in crutches. I guarantee you were screaming 5th string LB after GSU. My god, hire someone great and you won't have to cherry pick excuses on why they went 6-6. It is GARBAGE.
Who's making excuses....I've said 100 times that this coming season is make or break IMO.....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Uhhhhh....sounds like excuses pre-fab...
You should really try reading a whole thread before interjecting you're pre conceived misconception. Please go back and reread every post of mine in this thread and see if you still come to the conclusion that I'm making excuses. If so I'd recommend a 3rd grade reading comprehension course to bring you up to speed. See Rex, the days of just being a "pumper" or "gloomer" for sake of starting an argument are done. See if you can actually add something constructive for a change....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator