If Mac gets fired next year who would you hire?

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
One would think. But that's not the case anymore. Clemson over the last 5 years or so is definitely a superior program in comparison to us. Saying "we are Florida" doesn't work anymore. We can't keep living off our name and the past and expect to be good. It doesn't work that way.
this may be heresy but Id rather live in clemson than gainesville if I was a coach. much nicer town. the upstate of south carolina blows the doors off of gville

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
this may be heresy but Id rather live in clemson than gainesville if I was a coach. much nicer town. the upstate of south carolina blows the doors off of gville
The only area of SC I would live in is the coast. Clemson is a dump.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I am still riding Strong on the MAC Train. I think 2018 is where he has to prove his worth and win at least the East to keep his job. However I do see us having some coaching changes next year, and TBH I think it all revolves around this weekends game. No not the Gators vs the Corndogs, rather the Texas vs OU. If Charley Strong doesn't win that game, he will be fired this year, and I would bet that Les Miles is the HC at Texas. I believe that we will lose Geoff Collins to a HC position (it seems that there are a lot of schools like overrated DC for HC positions), and that would bring Charley Strong back to Gainesville. I have always been a fan of Charley Strong and I was hoping he would do well in Texas, but if him losing bring him back to Gainesville ....GO OU.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac has 3 wins against teams with a record above .500. Including this year. His wins have a combined record of 64-79. 7 of our wins last year won 5 games or less.
The GA win we played a QB/Water boy making his first start and no Nick Chubb. Does this count then?
The TN win took us an ungodly amount of 4th down conversions and a Butch collapse to win.
The Ole Miss game is an anomaly. The only true dominant performance.

Do you think 11 wins against teams below .500 at Florida is impressive? I sure as hell don't. We should beat those teams even with a 2nd string QB. That GA win was with Treon as QB. It's hilarious when people use the 14-5 record of Mac as an accomplishment to me. If FSU went 12-0 and only beat 3 teams with a winning record most would say they benefitted from an easy schedule. If you claim 14-5 is an accomplishment with our schedule you might as well go bowling without pins and claim a 300.

If we fire Mac I doubt we get any of those names on the board. Unless Briles is in need an no one has offered. Petrino may be the only other maybe.
I never said things didn't need improvement. I'd make a few coaching changes (Nord/Summers) and recruiting needs to improve at minimum.

Gatorbait_007

Jan 14, 2016
The only area of SC I would live in is the coast. Clemson is a dump.

Dabo would not leave Clemson for UF. Bama maybe. I have lived 15 minutes from Clemson's stadium the last 5 years and was stationed in Charleston SC for 4 years. I have been to about 10 Clemson games in the last 4 years. I have been to about 20 games in Gainesville over the last 8 years. You will be hard pressed to find a better atmosphere and tailgating setup than Clemson especially the last 3 years or so. Did you watch the beginning of the Louisville game and the crowd? I am a Gator fan thru and thru but that is the best entrance in college football. Gainesville was great and it still is in the tops but has took a hit due to the Mushchamp era. The game I went to in Gainesville last year the student section decided not to fill until half time.

As far as the area being a dump I question whether you have ever been here or have seen the things they are doing here. There is a reason Dabo is poaching recruits from Florida and recruits and their parents rave about the area. An indoor practice facility before us, an upgraded baseball and basketball stadium before use. A new stand alone football complex before us (Watch the linked video) it has a freaking bowling alley, mini putt, a barbershop, arcade, golf simulator, lap pool, movie theater, covered bball court, and the largest football only weight room in the country. It may be a bit much but it does what it is suppose to do bring in recruits and keeps the players out of trouble. You are 2-3 hours from several major cities and the coast. Some of the lowest cost of living in the country. 27 natural waterfalls within an hour. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo would not leave Clemson for UF. Bama maybe. I have lived 15 minutes from Clemson's stadium the last 5 years and was stationed in Charleston SC for 4 years. I have been to about 10 Clemson games in the last 4 years. I have been to about 20 games in Gainesville over the last 8 years. You will be hard pressed to find a better atmosphere and tailgating setup than Clemson especially the last 3 years or so. Did you watch the beginning of the Louisville game and the crowd? I am a Gator fan thru and thru but that is the best entrance in college football. Gainesville was great and it still is in the tops but has took a hit due to the Mushchamp era. The game I went to in Gainesville last year the student section decided not to fill until half time.

As far as the area being a dump I question whether you have ever been here or have seen the things they are doing here. There is a reason Dabo is poaching recruits from Florida and recruits and their parents rave about the area. An indoor practice facility before us, an upgraded baseball and basketball stadium before use. A new stand alone football complex before us (Watch the linked video) it has a freaking bowling alley, mini putt, a barbershop, arcade, golf simulator, lap pool, movie theater, covered bball court, and the largest football only weight room in the country. It may be a bit much but it does what it is suppose to do bring in recruits and keeps the players out of trouble. You are 2-3 hours from several major cities and the coast. Some of the lowest cost of living in the country. 27 natural waterfalls within an hour. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I've been to the Clemson/Anderson area nemerous times and I think it's a dump. Glad you like it though.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am still riding Strong on the MAC Train. I think 2018 is where he has to prove his worth and win at least the East to keep his job. However I do see us having some coaching changes next year, and TBH I think it all revolves around this weekends game. No not the Gators vs the Corndogs, rather the Texas vs OU. If Charley Strong doesn't win that game, he will be fired this year, and I would bet that Les Miles is the HC at Texas. I believe that we will lose Geoff Collins to a HC position (it seems that there are a lot of schools like overrated DC for HC positions), and that would bring Charley Strong back to Gainesville. I have always been a fan of Charley Strong and I was hoping he would do well in Texas, but if him losing bring him back to Gainesville ....GO OU.

So much dumb in this post.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
If that area is a dump then Gainesville is a **** hole.
agreed MAtt. gville cant hold a candle to the upstate of Socar in terms of natual beauty, things to do, etc. I lived in gville 8 years, would never go back to live there. Just good living up here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

2018? Why is your bar so low? That's in his fourth year. He doesn't have to prove anything to you before then? This I do not get.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

We know next year is going to be a down year because the D is going to be bad so this year he has to show some improvement. He hasn't shown any improvement yet this year and that is what worries me.

As far as Texas... I would be shocked if they hire Les Miles. They are going to go hardcore after Herman and they can outbid anybody. I would be happy to take Charlie as DC. I think he would do great in recruiting and I always felt his defenses were great. They were key to us winning the title in 2006 and 2008.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If what we want (and I'm pretty sure we do) is to be in the hunt for a national championship every year it's imperative that we consistently be among the elite in college football. There has been nothing anywhere close to elite about Gator football for the last 6-7 years. And unfortunately I have seen nothing about our coaching or recruiting so far that has us heading toward the elite category. When you look at the whole of Gator football right now including statistics, they way we play, recruiting or buzz around the program, we have a looooong way to go to get to where we want to be and where we have been in the past.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
2018? Why is your bar so low? That's in his fourth year. He doesn't have to prove anything to you before then? This I do not get.

I think 2018 will be his make or break year because then it would be all of his players. As for proving something to me, he did it last year with the lack of talent on the offense.

We know next year is going to be a down year because the D is going to be bad so this year he has to show some improvement. He hasn't shown any improvement yet this year and that is what worries me.

As far as Texas... I would be shocked if they hire Les Miles. They are going to go hardcore after Herman and they can outbid anybody. I would be happy to take Charlie as DC. I think he would do great in recruiting and I always felt his defenses were great. They were key to us winning the title in 2006 and 2008.

He showed me enough to give him till 2018. He needs to beef up the OL (LBs and DL next year), and I think we will be able to compete for SECC. I believe that the 4 and 5*s are coming. He has built a foundation and we will see the winds of change coming our way. We are in a lot better hands with Mac than Mischimp. The "experts" said we would win 7-8 games this year. I believe that we win 10 maybe more. That is good enough to keep your job for at least 2 more years.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think 2018 will be his make or break year because then it would be all of his players. As for proving something to me, he did it last year with the lack of talent on the offense.

He showed me enough to give him till 2018. He needs to beef up the OL (LBs and DL next year), and I think we will be able to compete for SECC. I believe that the 4 and 5*s are coming. He has built a foundation and we will see the winds of change coming our way. We are in a lot better hands with Mac than Mischimp. The "experts" said we would win 7-8 games this year. I believe that we win 10 maybe more. That is good enough to keep your job for at least 2 more years.

So if he only wins 7-8 games...how does that change your outlook? And what's the minimum wins for next year? I'm not sure how you can excuse 1-5 vs ranked teams so far. Elite coaches do more with less not less with less.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
So if he only wins 7-8 games...how does that change your outlook? And what's the minimum wins for next year? I'm not sure how you can excuse 1-5 vs ranked teams so far. Elite coaches do more with less not less with less.
We were depleted on a talent stand point on the Offense. That was the doing of our last HC., and Mac was still able to bring us to Atlanta. If we do only win 7-8 games I will not be burning couches or starting websites; hell I think we only win 7-9 next year. Now I think we are better on Offense next year, but we will have some holes to fill at LB and DL. That will hurt us. This year with MIZZU and FSUs struggles, I think we are competitive in both of those games, but I think we lose one of those games. I am pumping that we win against LSU; with no improvements (I think you will see some this weekend though) I believe we are going to lose to ARK, and we beat UGLY. From my count I think we finish with 3 losses, but we win our bowl game. That would give us 10 wins.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
We were depleted on a talent stand point on the Offense. That was the doing of our last HC., and Mac was still able to bring us to Atlanta. If we do only win 7-8 games I will not be burning couches or starting websites; hell I think we only win 7-9 next year. Now I think we are better on Offense next year, but we will have some holes to fill at LB and DL. That will hurt us. This year with MIZZU and FSUs struggles, I think we are competitive in both of those games, but I think we lose one of those games. I am pumping that we win against LSU; with no improvements (I think you will see some this weekend though) I believe we are going to lose to ARK, and we beat UGLY. From my count I think we finish with 3 losses, but we win our bowl game. That would give us 10 wins.

You have more faith right now than I do. Not sure what its based on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.