If Muschamp had never been fired, where would our program be?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I almost added 200lb DE’s to my list. But even there, aside from Fowler, even that position took a step backwards.

And frankly, it did go unnoticed by most. I still hear people rave about WM’s defensive recruiting ability, and far too many just associate 2012 with WM, completely disregarding the facts.
The only reason why McElwain had two 10-win seasons was because of Muschamp's defensive recruits. Last year was the first year McElwain had to rely mostly on his own guys. That's why I think if Muschamp had stuck around we'd have a little more talent on that side of the ball.

No doubt though that there would still be holes all over the roster and lots of problems with the team. This topic is silly because had Muschamp survived 2014 he never would've made it past 2015.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
But Muschamp actually lost out to some good teams while Mac got a joke east those years.

The '11, '13 and '14 Easts were atrocious. And he wasn't just losing to a few teams. He was being destroyed by the good teams(obviously with '12 being the outlier) and losing games to Gsu. Now, JM narrowly avoided several of those historical losses himself, but he did actually win. But this isn't about one being good and the other being bad. We fired syphilis and hired tuberculosis. The question is whether or not we would've been better off just keeping syphilis, and the answer is no.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Ga Southern game totally exposed Muschamp as overrated on defense

In addition to the obvious(scoring points and forcing them to go away from their base offense), beating the option requires tremendous discipline. WM's teams never exhibited that, but rather were a perfect reflection of the undisciplined maniac walking the sideline.

Good coaches, with that amount of talent disparity, don't allow games against the likes of GSU to go into the 4th.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WM's teams never exhibited that, but rather were a perfect reflection of the undisciplined maniac walking the sideline.

All teams/businesses in the end become a reflection of the man that is running the show. Spurrier teams reflected Spurrier, Zook lack of attention to detail was reflected in his teams, Meyer extreme attention to detail reflected his, Muschamps pendulum of emotion was reflected on the field, McElwain's lack of detail and preparation was reflected in his.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The '11, '13 and '14 Easts were atrocious. And he wasn't just losing to a few teams. He was being destroyed by the good teams(obviously with '12 being the outlier) and losing games to Gsu. Now, JM narrowly avoided several of those historical losses himself, but he did actually win. But this isn't about one being good and the other being bad. We fired syphilis and hired tuberculosis. The question is whether or not we would've been better off just keeping syphilis, and the answer is no.

To show you how much of a joke it was for Mac compared to Muschamp in the SEC East -during the 4 Muschamp years the 2 best SEC East teams besides us had either a 7-1 or 6-2 SEC record and during the 2015 and 2016 seasons the 2 best teams besides us had 5-3 or 4-4 SEC records.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
To show you how much of a joke it was for Mac compared to Muschamp in the SEC East -during the 4 Muschamp years the 2 best SEC East teams besides us had either a 7-1 or 6-2 SEC record and during the 2015 and 2016 seasons the 2 best teams besides us had 5-3 or 4-4 SEC records.

When you have Usce in the discussion, and Mizzou(who'd lost to Indiana earlier in the year) winning the whole thing, it says a lot about the division. Going back to 2010, the East is 1-7 in Atlanta, and other than 2012, the closest margin has been 14 points which was JM's 2015 team. The average point difference in the SECCG is approximately 4TD's during that stretch.

The East has been garbage since 2009, with a few exceptions.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
My mama would always say, ..."If"the dog hadn't stopped to ****, he'd have caught the rabbit.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
When you have Usce in the discussion, and Mizzou(who'd lost to Indiana earlier in the year) winning the whole thing, it says a lot about the division. Going back to 2010, the East is 1-7 in Atlanta, and other than 2012, the closest margin has been 14 points which was JM's 2015 team. The average point difference in the SECCG is approximately 4TD's during that stretch.

The East has been garbage since 2009, with a few exceptions.

Yep but it was much bigger garbage in 2015 and 2016.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yep but it was much bigger garbage in 2015 and 2016.

Based on....?

The 2014 SECE Champ was beaten 34-0 at home by uga just weeks after losing to 4-8 Indiana.

To be clear, I'm not saying it was tougher per se. I just don't agree that it was worse by any significant margin. And keep in mind, while I didn't rush out to buy the shirt, JM did actually win the division by several games in each of those seasons, where as WM failed to do any better than 2nd, finishing 3rd, 4th and 3rd the other seasons. As I said, there's nothing of substance that says the East was way better during WM's time, with 2012 as the outlier.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Muschamp’s mistake was too much faith in Driskell. Jacoby won the job in practice and won the confidence of his teammates. But JD got the call. It hurt the locker room and the team. JB went on to a nice collegiate career and became a starting QB in the NFL. Jacoby for 4 years followed by Grier for 3 or 4 would have provided continuity and stability at QB and would have somewhat offset muschamps weakness on offense. At worse, Grier would have gone all Rex and drew plays in the dirt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In addition to the obvious(scoring points and forcing them to go away from their base offense), beating the option requires tremendous discipline. WM's teams never exhibited that, but rather were a perfect reflection of the undisciplined maniac walking the sideline.

Good coaches, with that amount of talent disparity, don't allow games against the likes of GSU to go into the 4th.
Sofla killing it in this thread. A like isnt good enough.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Muschamp’s mistake was too much faith in Driskell. Jacoby won the job in practice and won the confidence of his teammates. But JD got the call. It hurt the locker room and the team. JB went on to a nice collegiate career and became a starting QB in the NFL. Jacoby for 4 years followed by Grier for 3 or 4 would have provided continuity and stability at QB and would have somewhat offset muschamps weakness on offense. At worse, Grier would have gone all Rex and drew plays in the dirt.

Do you remember the Jax State game in 2012, when Brissett was given the reigns for the injured Driskel?

JB went to high school 10 minutes from me, and I was thrilled that we landed him, so that's not a knock on him. But when he had his chance to shine, he simply did not, and that was because of WM's system and mindset. It wouldn't have mattered who got the nod at QB as long as WM was roaming the sidelines. The best move he ever made was bailing and going elsewhere. He, along with all the other signal callers, was destined to fail under WM.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Surprised Sofla's so passionate on this subject. But arguing who was a bigger dumpster fire, Chimp or Macelstain is a little bizarre because they are 2 of the all time worst coaches in UF history.

If Mullen got abducted by Aliens (you can never find an Alien when you need one these days) and for the some reason the only choice for 2019 was Chump or Butters, I would say no question, I'd go with the Dwag all day long. I'm just hoping the guy we landed is a very significant upgrade over both of those idiots.

Thank god we don't have to worry about either of those guys ever returning to our staff, but we do have to worry about not letting Chimp get a streak going against us, so that game is a must-win for the Mullenz.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
All teams/businesses in the end become a reflection of the man that is running the show. Spurrier teams reflected Spurrier, Zook lack of attention to detail was reflected in his teams, Meyer extreme attention to detail reflected his, Muschamps pendulum of emotion was reflected on the field, McElwain's lack of detail and preparation was reflected in his.

One of the most unforgivable moments of his 4 years here was on our final drive against uga in 2013. We had the ball in their territory, down 3, all the momentum, before one of our DT's(maybe Jacobs) commits a completely unnecessary personal foul out of frustration. As much as you wanted to rightly blame the player, he was merely reflecting leadership, and it likely cost us the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.