If not Mullen who?

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
My recollection is that everyone was underwelmed at the time Mullen was hired. But after Kelly was off the table I just didn't see a Sabaneque hire.

leogator

May 5, 2018
It's a good thing that the recruiting services and all this hullabaloo was not around when Spurrier was around.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's a good thing that the recruiting services and all this hullabaloo was not around when Spurrier was not around.
There were recruiting services then. We averaged lower top 10 and occasionally had a #1 class. Berlin's class was a #1. The class with all the receivers, Green, Anthoney, Hillard etc was a top class. Nafis Kareem was considered the five star, so there were flops then too.

There wasn't the internet or the hullabaloo though, I guess.

People used to joke about Ugly and Mack Brown (then at UNC) winning in February but not in the fall.

leogator

May 5, 2018
There were recruiting services then. We averaged lower top 10 and occasionally had a #1 class. Berlin's class was a #1. The class with all the receivers, Green, Anthoney, Hillard etc was a top class. Nafis Kareem was considered the five star, so there were flops then too.

There wasn't the internet or the hullabaloo though, I guess.

People used to joke about Ugly and Mack Brown (then at UNC) winning in February but not in the fall.
Yeah I am sure that Spurrier gave a fcuk about our rating.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think I'd take the '92 class over any of them.

Wuerffel
Odom
Kresser
Reggie Green
Mitchell
Young
Bates
Davis
Church
Lott
Showers
Wright
Edmiston

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think I'd take the '92 class over any of them.

Wuerffel
Odom
Kresser
Reggie Green
Mitchell
Young
Bates
Davis
Church
Lott
Showers
Wright
Edmiston
I was going of the rating, not the production, which is admittedly not always the same thing.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
how is being positive getting owned? what because I didn't put Mullen down about his record, his lack of recruiting, why we paid 6 mil for him? Hes the HC now, support him or don't. The choice is yours.. I choose to try and be supportive in times of desperation. Karma tends look on those who stay positive.

But this IS a thread about whether or not people agree with the hire or not. All of us bleed Orange and Blue at the end of the day and will support the Gators next Saturday evening.

But if the question is asked "was this a good hire or not?"...well, we don't know yet. And on the body of evidence we have, I think those who are against the hire have the winning argument.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I call Meyer, Saban, and Dabo and offer each 10 year 100 million. If all 3 pass which I think Dabo would think long and hard about that contract, then I move to the next step down. I call Peterson, Franklin, Patterson, and yes Smart and offer 10 85 million. If those all turn me down then I go back to normal contracts of 4-6 years and find who ever I could get. I think someone is taking the money and long term contract though.

Big money is what it's gonna take to get an elite coach that's going to take you to the playoffs year after year like a Saban. You just watch and see when Saban retires and Bams goes after Dabo. I'd bet it's a contract for 10 a year.

I agree with this premise.

Seems like even the most ardent Mullen supporters on here default to "well, yea, he's not our FIRST choice either...but he was the best coach out of those who wanted to come."

I don't buy that. Money talks and elite coaches are expensive. Would Saban have left? Of course not. But throw $6-8M at most any other coach and they'll listen. Jimbo Fisher leaving f$u for Texas A&M is proof of that: Fisher has an easier path to the national football playoffs at f$u than he does in the SEC West; but A&M opened their wallets and said resources won't be a problem. So he's there.

I have no idea how extensive Stricklin's talks with Frost went; but UF has more money than Nebraska and a much better recent track record. No coach ignores $6-8M dollars even if their heart is with their alma mater.

JLO

Jun 8, 2017
I agree that Frost would have been a better hire and I am not sure why we couldn't land him. Maybe Stricklin's previous relationship with Mullen was the reason. Regardless, I think the most obvious flaw Mullen has is his inability to recruit at a high level. He is getting beat by coaches who have never been head coaches. He needs to hire much better recruiters ASAP!!! 3 and 4 Stars are not going to get us by Georgia's 5 Stars!!!

g8orbill

OldGator
Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2018
I agree that Frost would have been a better hire and I am not sure why we couldn't land him. Maybe Stricklin's previous relationship with Mullen was the reason. Regardless, I think the most obvious flaw Mullen has is his inability to recruit at a high level. He is getting beat by coaches who have never been head coaches. He needs to hire much better recruiters ASAP!!! 3 and 4 Stars are not going to get us by Georgia's 5 Stars!!!

I think Mullen will be just fine- and I happen to think our recruiting we be fine as well- the fact is the choice was Stricklin’s and we will have to let it play out

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator