Is competitive eating a sport?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you agree, then this mother of four just killed it - 21 hamburgers (down from 28 last year):

http://wtop.com/dc/2017/07/ca-woman-keeps-her-title-downing-21-burgers-at-dc-eating-contest/
We just watched the Nathan's Hot Dog contest last weekend, while eating lunch! :lol:
The winner (a normal sized individual) ate 61 hot dogs; second place was 58 hot dogs by this little asian dude. Size apparently does not matter. I couldn't believe we were eating and watching them stuff their faces with wet hot dogs. My wife kept saying 'that's so gross', but she kept looking (and of course I kept giving her updates - it was neck and neck the whole way). :lol: I think ESPN2 was covering it, so it could be a sport, I guess. ESPN was showing drone racing at the same time, so it's a pretty slow time of the year for sports.
Maybe catch some Dodgeball on the Ocho later today.
tenor.gif

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Is it a sport? Hardly. If it was a sport Foley would undoubtedly have had a Women's Eating Team. But a televised race to the john afterwards might well be worth watching.

Last edited:

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
sport
spôrt/
noun
  1. 1.
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "team sports such as baseball and soccer"
    synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics;
    pastime
    "we did a lot of sports"
I'm gonna say no but you could argue that that idiotic **** takes skill and the trip to the bathroom after could definitely involve physical exertion!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I think it probably, barely qualifies as a sport.
What I don't get is this:

DSC08105.JPG

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
72? Maybe we were watching a different years contest last weekend, because Joey 'Jaws' Chestnut only ate 61 in that contest. Is it so slow in the world of sports tv that they're showing reruns of pasts years hot dog eating contests?
Yep, they were showing repeats. It's always on July 4th.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
21 burgers? Anyone else mildy turned on by this chick?

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
It's as much of a sport as competitive cheerleading.

It's eaters who have gone retar.. you get the point.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's as much of a sport as competitive cheerleading.

It's eaters who have gone retar.. you get the point.

I've overeaten before, but I could never do the flips & acrobatics those cheerleaders do. Sure, I've worn them shorty dress outfits but that don'thelp with the flips.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I dont even think nascar is a "sport." Its a competitive event, and requires lots of skill, but those drivers aren't athletes. Hell, some of them are in such poor shape they couldn't even run to the bathroom let alone a mile. Look at tony stewart :lol:

for that matter, look at john daly :eek3:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator