This thread brought to you by...

450.jpg

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My wife loves American Ninja Warrior and they've had like 3 Nascar drivers on and only one got by the first obstacle and the other failed on the second. They all talked a good game, but it was obvious they just weren't athletic enough to handle even the easiest of obstacles. You would think that Nascar would have picked their 'best' athlete types to represent them on ANW, and if they did, then as a whole, they're pretty lame 'athletes'.
I used to watch a lot of Nascar and have mad respect for those who can drive a car/truck at 200mph for hours at a time inches away from the next guy and/or the wall, adjusting to changing track conditions, tire setups, etc. But for the most part, they are not athletes.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My wife loves American Ninja Warrior and they've had like 3 Nascar drivers on and only one got by the first obstacle and the other failed on the second. They all talked a good game, but it was obvious they just weren't athletic enough to handle even the easiest of obstacles. You would think that Nascar would have picked their 'best' athlete types to represent them on ANW, and if they did, then as a whole, they're pretty lame 'athletes'.
I used to watch a lot of Nascar and have mad respect for those who can drive a car/truck at 200mph for hours at a time inches away from the next guy and/or the wall, adjusting to changing track conditions, tire setups, etc. But for the most part, they are not athletes.
highly skilled individuals, but much of the same motor skills needed are found in professional video gamers or pro drummers. Sorry, but those are NOT athletes either. Can you be an athlete and a nascar driver, video gamer, or drummer? Yes. Does being a driver mean you are an athlete? Not a chance.

If you disagree google tony stewart. :lol:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I will tell you right now that driving a race car takes a hell of a lot of endurance. Just go down to the local go kart track and take a few laps and see if you don't get winded. As for Tony Stewart, I could point out a few baseball players and other athletes who are in a lot worse shape. What does being an athlete mean? Physical strength, endurance, speed, skill and reaction time. Check, check, check, check and check.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I will tell you right now that driving a race car takes a hell of a lot of endurance. Just go down to the local go kart track and take a few laps and see if you don't get winded. As for Tony Stewart, I could point out a few baseball players and other athletes who are in a lot worse shape. What does being an athlete mean? Physical strength, endurance, speed, skill and reaction time. Check, check, check, check and check.
By the definition of the term 'athlete', you are correct Zambo. Again, I got mad respect for you race car drivers - I get tired just driving around the Seattle Metro area for an hour. It was disappointing to see the Nascar drivers fail so miserably at ANW - good lord, a 75-year old man made it past the first two obstacles.
Now that my knees have zero cartilage and won't allow me to play basketball or ultimate anymore, my best sports are bowling and golf, and some would argue those aren't sports either, though they meet all the 'athlete' criteria listed above (to a degree). Well, to think about, beer pong also covers many of the 'athlete' criteria. I'll just shut up now. Have a great weekend captain!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
By the definition of the term 'athlete', you are correct Zambo. Again, I got mad respect for you race car drivers - I get tired just driving around the Seattle Metro area for an hour. It was disappointing to see the Nascar drivers fail so miserably at ANW - good lord, a 75-year old man made it past the first two obstacles.
Now that my knees have zero cartilage and won't allow me to play basketball or ultimate anymore, my best sports are bowling and golf, and some would argue those aren't sports either, though they meet all the 'athlete' criteria listed above (to a degree). Well, to think about, beer pong also covers many of the 'athlete' criteria. I'll just shut up now. Have a great weekend captain!
Lol, you ever see HOF athlete Charles Barkley try to hit a golf ball? :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Some of those drivers couldn't run to the can without getting winded. Please...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You didn't read the linked article I posted... did you? :lol:
I did but laughed and closed it by the 3rd point. Totally fallacious argument techniques. For one thing, name me a single pro sport where a fat out of shape lardass is at the pinnacle of the sport for years on end. Sure there are a few exceptions here and there in every pro sport, but the real sports where you actually have to be a tip top shape individual dont have fat bodies winning titles consistently. Heck, in those sports, the fat bodies are usually the butt of jokes more than anything else.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You didn't read the linked article I posted... did you? :lol:
The article lost me when it said they compete in triathlons. Anybody can compete in triathlons. Half the people doing triathlons are overweight and are on some type of Team in Training program to give them the motivation to follow through with it to help them lose weight. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make them athletes, it makes them dieters. :lol:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I did but laughed and closed it by the 3rd point. Totally fallacious argument techniques. For one thing, name me a single pro sport where a fat out of shape lardass is at the pinnacle of the sport for years on end. Sure there are a few exceptions here and there in every pro sport, but the real sports where you actually have to be a tip top shape individual dont have fat bodies winning titles consistently. Heck, in those sports, the fat bodies are usually the butt of jokes more than anything else.
Sumo

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The article lost me when it said they compete in triathlons. Anybody can compete in triathlons. Half the people doing triathlons are overweight and are on some type of Team in Training program to give them the motivation to follow through with it to help them lose weight. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make them athletes, it makes them dieters. :lol:
Eh, Ill push back on that a bit. Ive done an ironman. Do I consider myself a world class athlete? No... but it definitely takes serious stamina. Skill and special ability? No... hardest thing is having a good swim stroke and knowing how to ride a bike. Its athletic but like you said, anyone with enough training can do one. I'm sure those drivers werent breaking records or anything doing them, just simply gutting it to the finish line like the rest of us poor slobs. And yea, Ive sen plenty of fat bodies do ironmans and I scratch my head every time, then have to admit to myself that what i did really wasnt that impressive afterall :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator