Is the McElwain honeymoon over?

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
Some of you numbskulls forget the other team is trying to win the game too. Grier is clearly better, but it's not like we were blowing teams out when he was behind center. I think he was really hitting his stride with the Ole Miss and Mizzou games, but before that there were nail biters. I know we should have beaten FAU worse and the players do as well. But clearly this comes down to QB play. We are playing with what is a 2nd team QB. Be honest, he is not a starter type QB, physically, mentally or on the field. He is the best option we have at this time and he has put together enough to win. He is very short and looks like that causes issues with him getting the ball out fast (something Grier did much better). He throws his deep balls too short. The receiver always has to slow or stop because he has too much air under the ball. The passes down the sideline are generally 2-3 yards out of bounds as well. He holds the ball because he is not confident in his accuracy so receivers that were open are now covered and then we have to punt. He is a spread option QB (what UF brought him in for last year when Moosedump changed the offense) and he is being asked to throw more from the pocket and he is just not good at it.
One QB is suspended, it appears Guy is garbage even though he looks the part, and Del Rio can't play yet, and I guess Grady makes Tyler Murphy look like Time Tebow because they cannot sniff the field. Danny Wuerffel is not walking through that door folks. I'm just enjoying this season. I really expected 7 wins and thought 6 wins was possible. I hoped for 8 or 9 by the end of the year but doubted it. I think this season is a master piece in coaching. Enjoy it while it is here, because next year will be scary for awhile. At least until game 7. If Del Rio is no good then we get more Treon. You know he will light up some green at some point and get suspended so one way or another we will see if Del Rio is worth a crap. I think the defense will lose a lot of talent to the NFL so this could be the best season until 2017.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think what you trying to say is Grier throws a receiver open where as Treon waits for te guy to be open.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, and Danny Wuerffel may not walk through the door (although I'm sure he's welcome in the lockerroom at any time), Fillipe' Franks will be and he may be the immediate future.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Mac and crew know how much this game means to the gator nation and so does our players. We wont stink up the stadium like we did last week. We arent going to win big but we are going to win.

Sep 29, 2015
Assess Mac using all of variables, off and on field, and not just the 60 minutes of a forgettable game where the team didn't show up and doesn't have the talent/depth at certain positions where it can afford to take games off. He has been an undeniable home run hire.

Organizational competence and vision.
Improved facilities.
Increased recruiting staff and budget.
High Interest/Excitement in Program from Top O and D Recruits. Check. (How he closes this class will be significant, and it looks like it will be top 5)
Winning the East when NOBODY expected it.
2-4 Wins above above expectations.
Forward Pass.
Turning the electricity back on in The Swamp.

With a more experienced and stronger O Line, I fully expect to win the East again next year and compete for a championship in the next two.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator football deserves a fine QB. If FSU can accept and start a ND graduate QB
then UF can start Grier when he returns and outperforms all our QBs. Maybe next
year Mac will have Del Rio or Guy ready to split time with Treon so it won't be
like Grier is taking the starting position from the QB we've relied upon so much?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Many of you believe that our current coach has no right to be criticized ....

There is no evidence for that. (I'd say you just made it up to justify your own criticisms, but I won't, because I have no evidence.)

The fact of the matter is that is it is manifestly clear from the history of this board (and predecessors) that the vast majority of forum participants do NOT believe that any coach should be immune from criticisms.

It's just that YOUR criticisms in this particular case are insufferably stupid because they totally ignore the context of this year's team, and the realities of things that cannot be changed quickly.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
While I understand this line of thinking, your chances of winning increase greatly when you score first. We've scored first in all but one game this year, and oddly enough, it was also the only game in which we didn't get the ball first (ECU). When you can strike first and force the other team to play from behind, it benefits you enormously.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It's philosophical depending on the coach, some coaches like to score first (usually offensive minded coaches) for the reason Sas mentioned above. Spurrier always wanted the ball first. Some who are more pragmatic prefer to defer. It's a philosophy choice usually based on the time of culture and team you have. McElwain being offensive minded and a bit cocky in a good way wants the ball, because he believe they will score and put the other team in an early hole.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Never fear, every other NCAA player has no trouble following the rules.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It is philosophical depending on the coach, some coaches want to score first, some coaches sit down to pee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.