Is the McElwain honeymoon over?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yes. The honeymoon is over. From now on you can expect fans to give a more careful and critical evaluation of the team. I still feel that we got a great coach, but the O-line should have improved and Treon should not be regressing. Anyone old enough to remember Bill Battle?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He's a major upgrade over chump and a natural winner, and he's in his first year which makes the season's record all the more amazing. But there are definitely parallels between this season and 2012. The record, the offensive rank, and the wins in games that we honestly should have lost. Anyone who claims there is no similarity is either ignorant or too biased to take seriously.

And lets not pretend he's perfect at in-game decisions and all our struggles are 100% the players fault. No one, even the best coaches in the world ever call a perfect game. Just like the players, coaches have to be continuously analyzing their performance and striving for improvement.

Some things Mac does repeatedly that could be improved in my mind;

1. Always electing to receive is stupid. Watch the best coach in football and you will see Belichick ALWAYS defers when he wins the toss. There's a reason for it. If you defer you can manage the first half by pace of game (hurry up vs run clock down), and by use of otherwise somewhat useless first half timeouts to have a high probability of having the last drive of the first half. If you can score at end of half leaving little or no time for opponent, then get the ball and score first possession second half you can take control. Teams that score last, first half, and first, second half, win that game at a very high percentage. It's simple statistics so quit the contrarian crap. There's a reason you defer, it smarter.

2. Never contesting or using challenges for obvious bad spots and calls. There something to be said for trying to stay on the good side of the refs, but you have to call them out and challenge calls sometimes. I've seen plenty of games turn on a won challenge, and it's one of the tools coaches can use in game to affect the outcome so you have to use it.

3. Running from middle of the field to lateral hash-mark on 3rd down in FG range. Yes, Hardin sucks, so why TF make the kick much harder by taking a straight on shot and making it a tough angle on short FG's? It's like no one is thinking or telling Taylor "try to make the first down but you have to stay in the middle to help Hardin if you don't make it."

4. I don't think there is a single game where they have gotten McGee enough touches. He's the best weapon on a terrible offense. It's not as flashy as hitting Calloway deep but we're not playing for style points. And on critical 3rd down short routes, when trying to hit Mcgee vs Powell with Harris's inaccurate passes, you are MUCH more likely to get a completion with McGee's huge completion radius and ability to block out vs Powell's tight window. If we want to keep winning, getting the ball to McGee repeatedly is probably the most important strategy going forward.
Spot on post...Mac is good and we'll be fine with him down the line in all likelihood but there are a few things that puzzle me also. Your point about McGee is best illustrated by the games that he got the most catches were also our best offensive games of the year for the team.....

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. The honeymoon is over. From now on you can expect fans to give a more careful and critical evaluation of the team. I still feel that we got a great coach, but the O-line should have improved and Treon should not be regressing. Anyone old enough to remember Bill Battle?

Yes, and Doug Dickey too.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
This is one of the dumbest threads ever on this board. Maybe one of the dumbest threads in the history of the internet.

For your information, the dumbest thread ever in the internet's history was the identification of our "Gator levels" (or however it was phrased).

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Many of you believe that our current coach has no right to be criticized (PS - it's a very tricky balance of responsibility between Treon, the OL, and coaches). I didn't criticize the head coach until today because we were not terrible on offense for most of the season, and I thought the Vandy game was an anomaly. I totally commend his ability to get to 10 wins, but we as fans are allowed to question why our offense has not shown growth. Anybody who infers that I think he should be on the hot seat or fired is totally wrong. Thanks.
Why has the offense shown little growth? Maybe because we have almost gone to the bottom of the depth chart to put players on the field. Or because we knew going in the O line (what little we actually had) was suspect) ........The bottom line in most team sports is
Ws and Ls........We just keep winning and whining........let me make a point here.
If your team is winning with offense EVERYONE is happy because they like to see points scored and cool TD passes or runs.........
If your team is winning with Def. you hear much more anger...........Me? If you wear orange and blue and play in Gainesville you are my team. If you begin your coaching career here with more wins that ANY other gator coach in the last 105 years you REALLY have my attention. You have to love this defense and I have real hope for the future when Mac doesnt have one hand tied behind his back with so little OL depth and talent. That said I love this TEAM.........they never give up.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Why has the offense shown little growth? Maybe because we have almost gone to the bottom of the depth chart to put players on the field. Or because we knew going in the O line (what little we actually had) was suspect) ........The bottom line in most team sports is
Ws and Ls........We just keep winning and whining........let me make a point here.
If your team is winning with offense EVERYONE is happy because they like to see points scored and cool TD passes or runs.........
If your team is winning with Def. you hear much more anger...........Me? If you wear orange and blue and play in Gainesville you are my team. If you begin your coaching career here with more wins that ANY other gator coach in the last 105 years you REALLY have my attention. You have to love this defense and I have real hope for the future when Mac doesnt have one hand tied behind his back with so little OL depth and talent. That said I love this TEAM.........they never give up.

I don't disagree with anything you said. But I did notice that you left out anything related to "QB depth and talent".

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ok, that too, but it all starts with the big guys up there. I bet Treon looks way better with a good line, so the running game goes better and he is allowed to use his legs more for the offense instead of self preservation.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
At least Mac knew the better of the two QBs, chose the right one but then got dealt the bad one. This guy has done great building a foundation. You do know we have passed the ball right? Champ just said, uh, run I guess and get the d back out there.

We are in great hands

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I got your back Mac. Pay no attention to the fish.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's just not the talent on the OLine that we need, nor the depth. Some of the talent will sort itself out as the young guys bulk up and add some muscle. We may still be 2 years away from a good OLine.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There's just not the talent on the OLine that we need, nor the depth. Some of the talent will sort itself out as the young guys bulk up and add some muscle. We may still be 2 years away from a good OLine.
I agree with your time table being 2 years. What I can't see though is really needing to bulk up. I think Sharpe will move to right tackle because he's gotten so large he can't keep up with even decent speed rushers. Ivey should fit this position to a T and will likely be 290-300 by next year. For the most part It seems like they just need someone to put a foot in their azz and teach them to get nasty.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

This.

We have the confidence and competence on offense now, but we still have a lack of talent, depth and/or experience at certain positions. Mac will get us rolling in a year or two. 10-1 in a rebuilding year is still pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
You know everyone is all over queen for this thread but those same people love to talk about this being a forum and we are just discussing topics, not hating on the Gators. Queen made it very clear it was a mac bashing. The honeymoon phase wearing off is obviously just realizing we may not have a football god at the helm in spite of all he has been able to accomplish this season, which all of us including queen are happy about.

How about everyone take a breath and realize that this is a topic for discussion, not a bashing.

For the record I thought we had some sort of football genius holding back to stomp fsucks and alascama. And after this struggle against fau that honeymoon phase has worn off for me.

I think Mac has pulled 10 wins out of a 7 win team precisely because he is a great coach. He is going to take our Gators back to heavyweight status. I do want more from the offense and he does too. That is all.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody's trying to take QueenCity's 1st Amendment rights away. We're just sharing a little of our 2nd Amendment privileges. :lol:

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
You know everyone is all over queen for this thread but those same people love to talk about this being a forum and we are just discussing topics, not hating on the Gators. Queen made it very clear it was a mac bashing. The honeymoon phase wearing off is obviously just realizing we may not have a football god at the helm in spite of all he has been able to accomplish this season, which all of us including queen are happy about.

How about everyone take a breath and realize that this is a topic for discussion, not a bashing.

For the record I thought we had some sort of football genius holding back to stomp fsucks and alascama. And after this struggle against fau that honeymoon phase has worn off for me.

I think Mac has pulled 10 wins out of a 7 win team precisely because he is a great coach. He is going to take our Gators back to heavyweight status. I do want more from the offense and he does too. That is all.

Thank you for your support. I think the line between 'critical analysis of our offensive output' and 'bashing a 10 win coach' was blurred. I was definitely learning toward the former.

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
Nobody's trying to take QueenCity's 1st Amendment rights away. We're just sharing a little of our 2nd Amendment privileges. :lol:
Time to buy a vest which is impermeable to the verbal bullets of those who support the opposing "the honeymoon is still alive" position :backout:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.