Jacoby Brissett into the game for the Patriots - gets injured

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Are you referring to the 1993 Cleveland Browns, which were a cluster**** or the current Cleveland Browns which are a worse cluster****.
I'm just making the point of discussion. ATX asked the question if Brady is just a system QB? I said this was a discussion the other day, before last nights game, because the argument was brought forth that is Brissett was successful, then it's clearly a system which would bring to question of Brady.

Why didn't it work in Cleveland? Why didn't it work with Bledsoe?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This was a topic of discussion the other day. Helix heck has drafted something like 8 or 9 QBs. If his system was just perfect for any QB then why haven't others been as successful? Why didn't it work in Cleveland?

Maybe he adjusted his system after Cleveland. Found the flaws and figured out the right formula. It also did work with Bledsoe. Bledsoe was playing well for the Pats when Brady took over. It is just that Brady was better.

Do I really think Brady is a system QB? No... I think Brady would be very good in many places because of how well he reads the defense and how accurate he is, but like any QB he would fail to be successful when put into an offense with a poor scheme and poor OL.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just making the point of discussion. ATX asked the question if Brady is just a system QB? I said this was a discussion the other day, before last nights game, because the argument was brought forth that is Brissett was successful, then it's clearly a system which would bring to question of Brady.

Why didn't it work in Cleveland? Why didn't it work with Bledsoe?

The 1993 Cleveland team was a different type of situation... they were about to be moved. The management was overbearing. Look at the coaches on that staff, and where they are now. I believe 7 current or former head coaches and at least 2 GM's (could be more). In the NFL you can be a system quarterback and a great quarterback at the same time. Joe Montana is a system quarterback, but he is also a great quarterback. I don't know if Brady would have success in another system, just don't have the evidence to support it. But I know as an NFL player he has had great coaching and a system built around his abilities.

Brissett success, Cassell's success, etc.. prove they have a great system, but doesn't make them great quarterbacks. You need a great system to be great in the NFL, but a great system doesn't make you a great quarterback.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Because we switch to a spread offense, Brissett was better in a pro offense. He was a better fit for Weis's offense than Peases. He looked decent for a Freshman in Weis's offense. Looked like garbage in Pease's run heavy offense. He wasn't a good fit for the offense. He did what was best for him and his skill set and went to a school that ran a pro-style.

It goes way beyond X's and O's or the particular style of an offense, as he is among many players that look considerably better the further they got away from UF. The dysfunction in our offense, despite the obvious talent that was on the roster, is due to the mental-fornication that is at the center of WM's entire coaching philosophy. It goes against everything that is known to work in sports, and is a big part of why he is, and will always be, a complete failure.

Good to see JB having success.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Brissett throwing for 100 yards is hardly "success." I know you guys think Tebow was a successful NFL QB with stats like that, but that's nowhere near sustainable. When you have a defense basically keep the other team from crossing midfield the whole game and recover two kick return fumbles, anyone could win at QB.

And it's laughable to think Brady is a "system" QB. He's no more a system QB than Joe Montana was.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's pretty successful when they only let him toss the ball a handful of times. He's a rookie who was getting very limited snaps. They aren't going to let him do much.

Pats started this season hoping for 2-2 and expecting worse if anyone important (ie QB) got hurt.

But, yeah, Brissett sucks, because he does and Driskel doesn't because he had a bad coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It goes way beyond X's and O's or the particular style of an offense, as he is among many players that look considerably better the further they got away from UF. The dysfunction in our offense, despite the obvious talent that was on the roster, is due to the mental-fornication that is at the center of WM's entire coaching philosophy. It goes against everything that is known to work in sports, and is a big part of why he is, and will always be, a complete failure.

Good to see JB having success.

No one is saying that their wasn't any dysfunction with Mushchamp. But obviously style of offense is a factor as well. Muschamp has turned two pro style quarterbacks into a dysfuction in a pro style offense in 2010. Driskel was a dysfunctional spread offense, when the offense was more suited to his skill set. That goes back to coaching. To say Brissett who is a pro-style quarterback would have had long term success in Pease's offense is also flawed thinking. He was brought in due to Weis, Weis and the pro-style left. He was a natural move for him. Driskel is a running spread quarterback, I doubt he will have success in the NFL level at qb other than a short lived career as a practice squad/emergency guy until a cheaper similar athletically gifted qb comes along.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Brissett throwing for 100 yards is hardly "success."

Brissett is a 3rd-string, rookie NFL QB making a start in the 3rd game of the season. He worked within the game plan they drew up, including some runs, and executed it well enough that the Pats won. Didn't make any significant errors. Looked like he knew what he was doing. Yes, the defense helped a lot ... that's usually the case for teams in perpetual contention to be division champs.

He stepped in when he had to, the team won with/despite him, and he'll will be back on the sidelines soon.

What more do you need or expect from your 3rd QB ?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
First time back here in ages. I remember all the discussions about JB back then. I said then he was our best QB. I knew he would do well at NC State and knew he was an NFL QB and stated so many times. Was consistently told he would never make an NFL roster. The one thing everyone seemed to agree on was that he was so poised....actually got turned into a negative.

Great kid, hard worker, student of the game, plenty of intangibles, respected by every coach he ever played for not named Muschamp. He will have a 15 year career in the NFL.

granitegator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SI (and local Boston sports radio) reporting that Brissett has torn right thumb ligament and may need surgery

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No one is saying that their wasn't any dysfunction with Mushchamp. But obviously style of offense is a factor as well. Muschamp has turned two pro style quarterbacks into a dysfuction in a pro style offense in 2010. Driskel was a dysfunctional spread offense, when the offense was more suited to his skill set. That goes back to coaching. To say Brissett who is a pro-style quarterback would have had long term success in Pease's offense is also flawed thinking. He was brought in due to Weis, Weis and the pro-style left. He was a natural move for him. Driskel is a running spread quarterback, I doubt he will have success in the NFL level at qb other than a short lived career as a practice squad/emergency guy until a cheaper similar athletically gifted qb comes along.
Dude, Brent Pease came here with that boise state offense or atleast it was supposed to be. Every qb that program has had the in the past 10 years has been a drop back passer. You can even go back to pease's days at days a Kentucky with the hefty lefty. I'm not understanding why Brissett wouldn't fit that system.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Let's pump the brakes a little bit, guys. Brissett had 103 passing yards with no TD's and a long TD run on a beautifully designed play. It's not like he lit the Texans on fire and threw them over a cliff. Two of the touchdowns were the direct results of fumbles on kick returns. He managed the game nicely, but handed the ball off almost exclusively.
I was thinking this today: I'll take the same QB play and outcome tomorrow and be happy.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Dude, Brent Pease came here with that boise state offense or atleast it was supposed to be. Every qb that program has had the in the past 10 years has been a drop back passer. You can even go back to pease's days at days a Kentucky with the hefty lefty. I'm not understanding why Brissett wouldn't fit that system.

JB was a very effective runner in college. His junior year he rushed for over 500 yards. Does not burn the 40 but is quick and elusive and a strong runner. We would have won more games with him at the helm.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
JB was a very effective runner in college. His junior year he rushed for over 500 yards. Does not burn the 40 but is quick and elusive and a strong runner. We would have won more games with him at the helm.
He never really impressed me all that much. In hindsight, Brissett probably would have been the better option but at the time, I thought driskel was the better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.