Jalen Tabor, Treon Harris suspended for Tennessee

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What per cent of big city 4 and 5 star football players toke? My guess is 95% plus. It is legal in many, many states and is just a matter of time in FL.

Do you think LSU, BAMA, FSU, UT, GEORGIA, and all the other top twenty programs diligently test their football players during the season at the risk of losing a shot at the final four......? I don't.....

Do we want to win SECs and NCs or not?......yes or no?

You just can't have it both ways.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n284463 said:
Just because something is a law or a rule doesn't make it right. Its time for this tyranny with regards to college athletes and weed to end.

Fever, we're all friends here. But for once, could you try being on the right side of an argument? For all of us.

Tia

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Gator Fever;n284463 said:
Just because something is a law or a rule doesn't make it right. Its time for this tyranny with regards to college athletes and weed to end.

I wouldn't exactly call it "tyranny", I'd call it the opportunity of a lifetime that you get because you can run faster and jump higher than the rest of us. Just follow the rules for a little while. I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't be able to toke up, but the rules says they cant, so end of discussion.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n284469 said:
Fever, we're all friends here. But for once, could you try being on the right side of an argument? For all of us.

Tia

That is the right side imo - its a stupid law / rule. I said the players were naive for getting busted for it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n284467 said:
What per cent of big city 4 and 5 star football players toke? My guess is 95% plus. It is legal in many, many states and is just a matter of time in FL.

Do you think LSU, BAMA, FSU, UT, GEORGIA, and all the other top twenty programs diligently test their football players during the season at the risk of losing a shot at the final four......? I don't.....

The dwags have a pretty rigid drug testing policy and disciplinary process. I seriously doubt the Semis even do drug testing at all. LSU probably hung it up after the Honey Badger. Bama, who knows? Nothing gets released from that school without Saban's consent. Who gives **** what UT does...they're irrelevant to anyone outside of Knoxville.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You think Jimbo would have sat either one of them with a big game coming up in 4 days?

In Mac We Trust.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n284469 said:

Tia

may be the first time I have ever agreed with Fever

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Question 1) a ton, which is why I think most would approve of this suspension and then have them get their acts together.

Question 2) yes they do, especially uga. Even Meyer did it often, whether he called it an "injury" or not.

Question 3) Of course. But we're not doing that with a QB who can't keep himself out of trouble and use proper judgement. Thats the frustration here. Tabor is a great DB and will be missed. Harris is technically competing for the most coveted position on the team. We've had weed problems on virtually every championship team. But not from DW, Leak or Tebow.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Ancient Reptile;n284472 said:
The fact that so many players would rather get high than play football and even earn vast sums of money speaks to the power of pot.

Do you think these kids drink alcohol on occasion? I'd be shocked if they don't. I don't think pot should be treated any differently than alcohol and underage drinking.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
gardnerwebbgator;n284477 said:
You think Jimbo would have sat either one of them with a big game coming up in 4 days?

In Mac We Trust.

Nah, I think rape, stealing, and the sucker punching of women are a tad bit more serious than smoking herb, but you never know. What was there 2 or 3 felonies committed, and they missed a total of one start against Clemson last year?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see anything wrong with smoking pot. I don't do it myself, but I couldn't give a sh*t about people who do. That isn't the problem.

The problem is, these kids know its against the rules, they know the consequences of breaking said rules, and they choose to do it anyway. How hard is it to show a little self control and not smoke up a few months out of the year? Seriously? The best word to describe them is selfish. All you have to do is not smoke pot during the season, and despite the fact that it could potentially hurt the team, and hurt it pretty bad, they chose to do it anyway. No different than KT doing the throat slash and costing the team 15 yards and sparking a rally.

I know college is the time for growing up, but apparently these kids need some more time for that sorta thing.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n284482 said:
Do you think these kids drink alcohol on occasion? I'd be shocked if they don't. I don't think pot should be treated any differently than alcohol and underage drinking.
Who cares? Its a rule. These kids have an opportunity millions dream about, you would think they would be able to sacrifice weed or whatever people that smoke it call it. How can you have a problem with them being held to a higher standard.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is also against the law for all the players under 21 to drink a single beer.

What's the difference?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n284485 said:
How hard is it to show a little self control and not smoke up a few months out of the year? Seriously?

Good question. The brain is not fully developed until around age 23. It can rewire it and lead to permanent behavioral changes. It can become a gateway to other substance issues, including alcohol. Note I said can. Obviously not the same for everyone. As it relates to football players, no better or worse than alcohol, which is to say it's a big roll of the dice.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n284485 said:
I don't see anything wrong with smoking pot. I don't do it myself, but I couldn't give a sh*t about people who do. That isn't the problem.

The problem is, these kids know its against the rules, they know the consequences of breaking said rules, and they choose to do it anyway. How hard is it to show a little self control and not smoke up a few months out of the year? Seriously? The best word to describe them is selfish. All you have to do is not smoke pot during the season, and despite the fact that it could potentially hurt the team, and hurt it pretty bad, they choose to do it anyway. No different than KT doing the throat slash and costing the team 15 yards and sparking a rally.

I know college is the time for growing up, but apparently these kids need some more time for that sorta thing.

Not to mention the fact that virtually all these kids have aspirations of playing in the pros--where they're held to basically the same standard, often with millions of life-changing dollars lost as a result. Like it or not, it's against the rules. It really ends there.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n284490 said:

What's the difference?
It's not against team rules to drink alcohol

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Gator Fever;n284439 said:
What other students get drug tested by the University besides athletes? Math team? Chess team? Maybe they do but I haven't heard about it.

Do the math team and chess team have the massive amounts of material resources put toward their welfare and performance the way these guys do? The general student body doesn't get drug tested but they are watched and they are punished when they cross the line when it comes to drugs and other rules of conduct. And the drug tests aren't simply targeted toward recreational drugs.

Student athletes should be held to a higher standard. They represent the university far more visibly than the average joe and are given access to far more of the university's resources than the average joe as well. Having been given more, more should be expected of them.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
LagoonGator68;n284490 said:

What's the difference?

Because there's no test that tells that you had a drink in the past 30 days. They know they can get away with drinking, they are taking a big risk and taking a greater chance of getting caught and hurting their team mates by smoking pot. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it is the rules. Play by them or go to FSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.