Jeff Driskel

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
As I've now posted ad nauseum, it's time. Doug Dickey did it in my freshman year, 1973, benching David Bowden for untested Don Gaffney. We were 2-4 after losing to Ole Miss at home (Bowden threw it OB to stop the clock on 4th down with about a minute left at the OM 25 or so - ostensibly because he didn't know what down it was, in his OWN stadium). We had the open date with AU coming up. We had NEVER won on The Plains. He started Gaffney, we won, and we won four more in a row to finish 7-4.

Even Zook did it in 2003. We were unproductive with Ingle Martin at QB, and having just lost at home to the Vols, he started true freshman Chris Leak at Kentucky. We staged the biggest comeback in Gator history (down something like 18 in the 4th quarter - or was it the 3rd quarter) and won. Leak had the confidence that Martin didn't. Leak led us to victory at LSU, the eventual NC's (led by Saban) ONLY loss in '03.

It's time Will - start (or at least mostly play) Harris against the Vols.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, and I didn't even realize it til I read the article - Driskel wasn't sacked even ONCE at Bama. So if he had THAT kind of protection, why couldn't he hit his receivers? Again, it's time for Will to do what Doug and Ron did, 30 years apart from each other, or suffer the SAME fate that they both eventually suffered.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n58813 said:
Oh, and I didn't even realize it til I read the article - Driskel wasn't sacked even ONCE at Bama. So if he had THAT kind of protection, why couldn't he hit his receivers? Again, it's time for Will to do what Doug and Ron did, 30 years apart from each other, or suffer the SAME fate that they both eventually suffered.
Yeah, except Muschamp isn't committing major NCAA violations and getting the program on probation.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n58817 said:
Yeah, except Muschamp isn't committing major NCAA violations and getting the program on probation.

No but the product on the field is certainly some sort of crime.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Neither Zook or Dickey had us on probation. Pell did in the mid 80s. As for Dickey, he just fell to mediocre. From going to four bowls the four years I was in school to 6-4-1 and no bowl in 1977 (year after I graduated - and btw, he DID beat UGA that year, but lost to UM and FSU) to 4-7 in 1978. He "lost" that 1978 team.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo said:
Captain Sasquatch;n58817 said:

No but the product on the field is certainly some sort of crime.
Crimes against GatorNation

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator said:
The article was spot on, especially when he blows the 3 reasons myths out out the water. The tweets are great too.
He only blew two out of the three out of the water. The reasoning behind #2, is suspect at least. Wish he would have given better examples than what he gave.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel would rather throw it incomplete than throw a pick... Its like coaching not to lose, only he is playing qb not to make a mistake... he is so scared to take a risk it ends up with him being ineffective... ALL on Muschamp... Just like the second half play calling...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Which one of them got us into trouble with the NCAA, Sas?

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Has anyone heard anything from the team meeting that was held yesterday afternoon? I have been checking all of my sources and no one knows anything, which is really unusual. Hopefully, they are circling the wagons and will stay together as a team. Maybe Muschamp assured them that there will be a change at QB. I'm curious to see how Robinson's tweet was received. Hopefully, Muschamp had enough sense to see it for what it was and not kick the kid in the head.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Neither. It was Pell, all the way. He started at UF in 79, and by 83 we were under investigation.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Was it a players only meeting or one called by the coaching staff?

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
This article makes this pumper think twice about thinking about still pumping Driskel. I still think he is our best chance of winning the East , but I do like the idea that was floated of him coming in as a Wildcat. If he comes in and is productive against Tenn and LSU, then he should be our starter for the rest of the way.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
I know that, but apparently Sas does not. ;)

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n58881 said:
Hopefully, Muschamp had enough sense to see it for what it was and not kick the kid in the head.
I doubt Robinson sees the field again this year.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n58870 said:
Driskel would rather throw it incomplete than throw a pick... Its like coaching not to lose, only he is playing qb not to make a mistake... he is so scared to take a risk it ends up with him being ineffective... ALL on Muschamp... Just like the second half play calling...

Driskel is terrible and needs to be benched. Let me say that on the front end. But if what you assert is true then perhaps his fear is from fans telling him he sucks for 4 years.

F18Bundy

Founding Member
No Carbs Please
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp has a difficult choice to make. He's dealing with JD in person and obviously knows the young man (notice I didn't say kid, because they're not kids but that's a different rant). Its a lot more difficult to do yourself than for those of us on message boards to write about. Anyone who's owned a business and had to fire someone who was a good person giving great effort but with poor performance can surely understand. But, just like the business owner, Will has the responsibility to the whole organization to make the difficult decisions. If he doesn't, everyone else suffers. I believe I posted last year that JD's struggles all stemmed from a lack of accuracy and he knows it. It results in him holding the ball waiting for wide open receivers and checking down to the underneath stuff. If Will doesn't make the hard choice, it will cost him his job. I had thought, hoped, that having Grier in camp this Spring would have given Will the ability to "go to the bullpen" but it appears increasingly obvious that he's choosing to sink or swim with Jeff as his QB.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n58923 said:
I doubt Robinson sees the field again this year.

If he doesn't start in Knoxville, they should fire Muschamp on 2nd down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator