JUCO DL Javier Edwards is a Gator

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Another article

Interesting quote "They say they want me to come play, they said me and some other guy they want us to plug up the middle together,” Edwards said of Rumph’s message. “He said he’s 350 plus too and they want us to come play together and plug up the middle for them on their defense.”

Sounds like there is a strategy here to go for size and really plug the middle. The assumption is that this would allow athletic LBs freedom to make plays and it may even help with recruiting if the LBs see they are a focal point.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-add-another-big-defensive-tackle-in-2017/

Sounds like we are building a defense to defend Alabama. Reminds me in the '90s when everyone was recruiting defenses against Spurrier's offense.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am sure the plan is to put these two HUGE fatties in the middle and it'll take 3-4 to block them. Keep the OLmen off of our LB's. May be a 3* but if he's that big and can run that fast Linemen will have a big problem blocking them. And we'll need them taking double teams.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I have to say I'm impressed by the transformation that seems to be happening right now. We've gotten bigger at every position group on the team overall if these 2 behemoths stick. TE may be the only exception. Don't kid yourselves either, when the rubber meets the road bigger and stronger football teams win 85 percent of the time given close talent and coaching between teams....I'm glad to see we're trying to be the biggest and strongest again.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I have to say I'm impressed by the transformation that seems to be happening right now. We've gotten bigger at every position group on the team overall if these 2 behemoths stick. TE may be the only exception. Don't kid yourselves either, when the rubber meets the road bigger and stronger football teams win 85 percent of the time given close talent and coaching between teams....I'm glad to see we're trying to be the biggest and strongest again.
Now if we could only hire a couple of big fatties to put on coaching headsets, amiright? ;)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
As long as you're adjusting the furniture why don't you go ahead and kick that chair out from under you.?.?.

Another fine example of pumper extraordinaire. No problem 3 star lover. I'm finding my way to accept mediocrity. Sorry it took me so long. I'm getting there. Pretty soon I will be saying things like...he's SO underrated and his HIGHLIGHT film is surprisingly full of highlights. Crazy good that guy is!

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
It is better when your fattest players are fatter than your fattest coaches. That wasn't always the case around here when we had Charley Weis and we paid a price for it too.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
We are taking him out of desperation. That's the problem. Our rivals are loaded up on prime talent while we are looking on the sale rack.

I guess I do need to lower my bar. I'm too negative because of my expectations. If I lower those then I'll be HAPPY to take anyone and everyone! Now I get it.
T, don't be worried. The Chump said he changed the culture while here. “We did some really good things in that program,” Muschamp said of his four years at UF. “We changed the culture of that program, I do know that. We played good defense and we played good special teams and we cleaned the place up. I do know that."

Maybe we should all be happy with lowered standards. Let's just hope this kid can help. He seems to be a replacement for nothing. And "nothing ain't worth nothing but its free."

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are in desperate need of size on the D line. If we were just getting these two guys and that was it, I would have serious concerns. Or if our two 3 star guys were 6'1 and weighed about 270lbs then I would have some serious concerns.

But we got two space eaters. And if we can pull in two more 4/5 star DTs we will be good. This does not apply to the DE position. Those kids should be four and five stars. And I think we will be getting a couple 4/5 star DEs this year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
T, don't be worried. The Chump said he changed the culture while here. “We did some really good things in that program,” Muschamp said of his four years at UF. “We changed the culture of that program, I do know that. We played good defense and we played good special teams and we cleaned the place up. I do know that."

Maybe we should all be happy with lowered standards. Let's just hope this kid can help. He seems to be a replacement for nothing. And "nothing ain't worth nothing but its free."
He definitely changed the culture. We went from a culture of winning and excellent football, to one of losing and total incompetence.

And special teams? Is this guy serious? Our STs were a disaster and extremely poorly coached (neglected).

Muschamp might be the dumbest sumb*tch alive.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
getting two 350 pounders adds depth and no matter how you spin it good luck to olinemen trying to move these two men and think about if they're in at the same time. Let's get them in the strength program and win the trenches.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are in desperate need of size on the D line. If we were just getting these two guys and that was it, I would have serious concerns. Or if our two 3 star guys were 6'1 and weighed about 270lbs then I would have some serious concerns.

But we got two space eaters. And if we can pull in two more 4/5 star DTs we will be good. This does not apply to the DE position. Those kids should be four and five stars. And I think we will be getting a couple 4/5 star DEs this year.
I am hoping it cause LB's to want to come...

I do have concerns other schools have not offered yet...are we this sharp?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I think in this case we had coaches who liked him out of high school, so they continued to follow his career. Might be ahead of the game just due to personal relationship according to reports.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think in this case we had coaches who liked him out of high school, so they continued to follow his career. Might be ahead of the game just due to personal relationship according to reports.
I hope you are correct...but just having some big boys should make Florida more appealing for LB

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
You're joking, right? We haven't taken a DT in two cycles that's worth a darn. So I'd say taking an unranked Juco that had offers from bottom feeders and was originally slated to go to Texas State as DESPERATION.

Don't hate the messenger. Seriously, what flavor kool-aid are you drinking?
We did take andrew Ivie (joey's brother) and yes he was lower ranked, but he's big and strong as heck. Here's to hoping he grows into a stud. Saw him walking campus one dau and he's big but its all muscle. dude looks like an olympic heavy lifter

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I really don't know. But according to a tweet I saw, Rumph is really excited about both these kids because he has felt that we have been missing size at DT.

Personally, I think we need another JUCO DT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator